LED turning lights swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED turning lights swap

Ok, I want to change my original turning signals for LED ones but was wondering about some electrical stuff... unfortunately, I am nowhere near an electrical wizz so I'll need your input on the swap. Will I have to change something to make them lite up normally? How about the flashing speed?

Thanks!

You will need an "electronic flasher". You can find these at most auto parts stores.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Do I need 1 per flasher or do I need 1 for ALL flashers?
      Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Just one is all you need. Just make sure the one you get has the same number of prongs.

Comment

Ok, so where exactly do I have to look for the prongs? And where does this piece connects? I haven't received my new flashers yet but when I do, I'd like to know where I am going with this particular modification.

Thanks again!

Comment

My flasher was under my gas tank. But my wiring has been hacked over the years, may not be the original location.

It will be a small cylinder, usually plain aluminum.

Comment

Cool, I'll look around there this weekend.

Comment

Couldn't find it...

I have no idea how big it is supposed to be... also, all my new DEL flashers are installed but everytime I turn a turn signal on (any side) they all light up but don't flash. I understand that the electronic flasher will make my DEL flashers work but is it normal that they all light up right now.

Comment

They don't flash because the LED's dont draw enough current to make original flasher operate. What year and model is your bike? Maybe someone can help you locate the flasher if they knew what you were taking about.

Comment

I’ve got a 79/80 gs550e and my flasher was right near the battery, it looks like the main relay for a Honda auto (not sure if my description helps or hurts)

Comment

The bike I have is a 1982 Suzuki GS650L.

Thanks for all the help!

Tomorrow's forecast is sun so I should be able (finally) to really have a good look around.

Comment

scroll down and click on the tutorial on the left side about turn signal relay replacement. Maybe the relay is on the side of the battery case.
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I have been dealing with the same led signal light issues myself on a 80 gs1100, including not being able to positively identify where or what the existing signal flasher is.( yes I have looked in service manual but it seems inaccurate ) Searching "motorcycle LED turn signals" on line, provided a couple of exellent sites that provide products to make conversion easy aswell as describe the various symtoms you may experience when switching to LED lights. It sure cleared things up for me.

Comment

Ok, so I finally found the relay and replaced it with an electronic flasher (BTW it was a 2 prong relay). Tried my flashers but they still do the exact same thing... they all light up when I activate my flashers (any side). The electronic flasher is not doing anything... maybe my problem is there??

I have 3 wires coming from my new LED flashers and only 2 coming from my original wiring on my motorcycle. I have hooked up the red and black wires (from my new flashers) to my original wires but haven't hooked up the green wire. My black/white is connected to a ground also.

Any help will be greatly appreciated... I have checked on the net but haven't found anything useful yet.

Comment

You need to install load equalizers in order to provide enough resistance and "trick" the flasher unit into functioning. LED's don't provide enough resistance. When I bought them, they were about $5 each. I needed on for each side. They just spice into your signals + wire and connect to ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X