Duplicolor clear ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicolor clear ?

Have had read a few threads regarding Duplicolor paint shop paints, and decided to try my first paint job using it. Has anyone tried this clear over vinyl graphics or pin stipes?

I have, it's OK but not as good as a real gun. I would take it to a shop to have done properly if you are about to spend a lot of time and money on graphics.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The problem with Dup clear is that it is not impervious to gas as would be 2 part urethane as Duaneage suggests.

One little dribble of gas and your shiny graphics get pooched.

Do it right the first time and either get a gun and 2 part or take it in to a shop. It might be costly but you won't have any problems.

Been there and done that so I do know whereof I speak

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

I do vinyl graphics so I guess Im as quialified as anyone. As long as you let the base color cure and vinyl outgas. The vinyl usually isnt a problem since most that sign shops use isnt factory fresh, as in a day of so old. Ive used Krylon rattle can stuff to increase a window sticker's life with no shrinking or yellowing. I also would make sure the vinyl is "cast" vinyl. This is a thinner and better quiality vinyl than calendered. Its easier to work on curved surfaces and leaves less of a rise. As far as a fuel resisent clear coat, most 2 part epoxys are your best bet. Ive heard good things about Zynolite Epoxy Spray Paint. If you cant find a good clear epoxy, Permalac is a spray laquer that is tough as nails. And Ive heard really good results using an auto grade Polyurethane. PPG makes a damn nice urathane that you really dont need an expensive gun to shoot it. Infact something like this for HF will do the job.

Comment

This may sound crazy but clear engine paint resists gasoline and I've tested it with engine covers. But it is not a quality finish paint you can work with. If you bring the tins into a body shop they can probably spray it when they do another job, when they have clear already loaded. The finish sand goes down with 2000 or higher grit. I've done the rattle can job myself and it takes weeks of drying before it has a hope of resisting gasoline. I even sun baked it and everything.

Painting is not my forte', and I plan to outsource my 650G to a professional that can match the color and metalflake look of the original. I like to keep them as original as possible, I think they look better that way. My Yamaha XS 400 might get a different color red, I also might do the chrome fenders in red. I like TheBigRed Amos' 550 color and stripe scheme, I think the Yamaha would look great that way. It has red fenders front and back.

I did some side decals for a CM400A on the computer, printed them on vinyl paper with a HP 330 photo printer, and cleared over them. Came out acceptable, but not perfect.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Not building a show bike here guys, just looking to spray a tank on my own and make it look better than the 30 year old paint and pealing clear that is on there now.
            Hammered, thanks for the info, shrinkage and yellowing were my concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
              I do vinyl graphics so I guess Im as quialified as anyone. As long as you let the base color cure and vinyl outgas. The vinyl usually isnt a problem since most that sign shops use isnt factory fresh, as in a day of so old. Ive used Krylon rattle can stuff to increase a window sticker's life with no shrinking or yellowing. I also would make sure the vinyl is "cast" vinyl. This is a thinner and better quiality vinyl than calendered. Its easier to work on curved surfaces and leaves less of a rise. As far as a fuel resisent clear coat, most 2 part epoxys are your best bet. Ive heard good things about Zynolite Epoxy Spray Paint. If you cant find a good clear epoxy, Permalac is a spray laquer that is tough as nails. And Ive heard really good results using an auto grade Polyurethane. PPG makes a damn nice urathane that you really dont need an expensive gun to shoot it. Infact something like this for HF will do the job.

These are great tools to do touchups or small paint jobs like bikes, just make sure you have a couple on hand, ready and loaded so you don'trun out of paint or clear mid way.

Duplicolor engine enamel clear coat is definitely strong, but has a tendency to yellow.

Comment

HF Can

I acutually have one of those but have never used it. How much paint can you deliver before the can starts to sputter or not produce even coverage? How high to you pump it up? How far down do you suspect it is when it sputters too much.

On my compressor I need to be between 20-40 for the spray gun to have reasonable consistency.

With a touch up sprayer you usually are only loading with 3-4 ounces at a time which is good for the small surfaces for a motorcycle.

I assume you just use air and thin the paint the same as you would anything else.

Comment

I used VHT clear engine paint, it resists gas and it's somewhat durable. Like most rattle can jobs though, it chips easily. For a very cheap decent result, can't be beat. As it is with painting, a good prepping goes a long way

Comment

Working...
                  X