I have polish-itis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have polish-itis.

I worked on my bike last year with polishing and such, but after working on Roadrash's bike this past winter, I am going to have to bring mine up to the next level.

Anyways, I spent a few hours on his old girl over the winter and in these photo's, I had not touched the carb tops yet.

Trust me, I would never want to take away from riding time, but when you have lots of snow and ice outside for 4 months, you have to do something constructive with your time.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM.

looks sharp. now you gotta strip and polish your m/c's and calipers....i did mine and it looks nice....not that you need more to do,
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Looks great. This is Roadrash's bike, right?

When I fully restored my GS700 a few years ago, it looked super shiny and new like that, but four years and 15,000 miles (many in the rain) take the "like new" shine off unless you devote a lot of time to it.

Good job. That bike should be entered in a classic bike show.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
        Looks great. This is Roadrash's bike, right?

When I fully restored my GS700 a few years ago, it looked super shiny and new like that, but four years and 15,000 miles (many in the rain) take the "like new" shine off unless you devote a lot of time to it.

Good job. That bike should be entered in a classic bike show.
        Griff, thanks for the props.

Yup, that's RR's bike. It was also "thee" bike I got a ride home on from kindergarten, so it has a bit of sentimental value to me as well. It felt good to bring her back up to her Sunday's best.

I told RR to invest in a bike bubble to keep the moisture off of it so hopefully that would help to cut down on some of the maintenance.

It's funny you should mention about putting the bike in a show, I put mine in cruise night for both cars and bikes last year and I only had one guy give a compliment. It was hard to compete against Hyabusas with polished frames, calipers and any other bit of aluminum, five grand in crazy paint work, neon lights, and rear view cameras. There didn't seem to be any love for a clean classic.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
          looks sharp. now you gotta strip and polish your m/c's and calipers....i did mine and it looks nice....not that you need more to do,
          I don't want to be accused of over-blinging out a classic metric.

Comment

I just wish that was a pic of mine Looks identical except for the windshield is a little different..
            Are we ever going to get a side by side shot of those two 1100L's ?? Sure would be a sweet pic I think

Comment

Terry,

Hopefully sometime this summer. Craiger, last year, was talking about doing a Springfield run for the IL guys somewhere in the June-Aug time frame.

Comment

The GS L's have never been my favorite, but damn!! that thing is awesome!

Comment

So do you have any plans for next winter. I can make it up there in about 15 hours. Let's say in October. I'll come back and pick mine up in Feb. Does that sound good? That is sweet looking. I would never have enough patience for that much polishing.

Comment

Originally posted by heathen View Post
                    So do you have any plans for next winter. I can make it up there in about 15 hours. Let's say in October. I'll come back and pick mine up in Feb. Does that sound good? That is sweet looking. I would never have enough patience for that much polishing.
                    I was thinking the same thing.. you could imagine it was Roadrash's bike and go to town on it... he he..
                    Oh.. BTW.. Craiger is having surgery and may not be able to do Springfield until later..

Comment

How about if I send you my bike and a bunch of beer money and you send it back looking like that?
                      Please?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Jason,

Did you clear coat the aluminum case covers, or just leave them bare?
                        sigpic

SUZUKI:
                        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Jay, the bike bubble is on order. I do want to thank you for all your time, man she sure looks nice. Sounds like next winter is booking up fast, there come in from all over the country. Can I set up a appointment for 2010.
                          Effie is a little jealous.
                          sigpic

1979 GS1000E
                          1982 GS1100GL
                          2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

Brett,

I left the aluminum bare. The shine was far greater than my polished and clear-coated aluminum.

I will have to find a good aluminum sealer to help protect it.

Comment

Nice work, shafty. Beautiful bike!! Nothin' like a spotlessly clean and shiny classic!

I can relate to the polish-itis...I have it, too. It's incurable. Funny thing is (for me), I only have it when it comes to bikes. I could care less how shiny my car is. As long as the windshield is clean, I'm good.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                              X