Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to repaint my exhaust, any way to strip by myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to repaint my exhaust, any way to strip by myself?

Anywhoo, I have a set of MAC's coming and they have some scuffs and chips, I want to repaint but I am not sure I can just paint over top of the old coating?

I would take them to get blasted but the closest shop to me wants almost $100 to do it...

any back yard alternatives? Can I just sand the rough spots and paint over with VH1?

No other inexpensive alternatives to strip the entire exhaust. If it were mine, Id just sand till the roughness was gone (maybe to a 1000 grit) and use a high heat paint that matches. Most that option should cost you is $10 and time.

Comment

will that work ok? painting high heat paint over top of old MAC black "high heat coating"?

I think that is what I will do, but I was wondering if I would regret it 10 min after starting up the bike...

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post

I would take them to get blasted but the closest shop to me wants almost $100 to do it...
        If you consider your time is worth at least $15/hr, then that sounds like a bargain to me.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

sanding the rough spots won't take me more than an hour...

Plus my exhaust is falling apart, i patched one hole and another blew open, i ride to work every day so I have to get this exhaust fixed up ASAP

Comment

There's metal under there someplace, you can always use a sanding pad or wire wheel to remove the old coating. Test in an inconspicuous area.

With a Mac, I'd be removing as much as I can as they are noted for rusting.

Then try painting it warm by heating it an oven, hanging it up and spraying away
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X