Luggage recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luggage recommendations

I plan on going on 3-4 hr trips and some overnighters and I would like your advise on which luggage bags to get for my '79 GS850. I don't want the saddlebags though. I was thinking of a fork bag for tools, tank bag for maps, GPS, etc. and maybe a rear seat bag for clothes for 3-4 days.

I don't have a luggage rack which is limiting my options. I could get one though. Any recommendations here? I do have the rear seat handle bar.

I just don't know which brands/models I should get to fit the tank and something that will stay on the bike. My tank paint is crap so I'm not too concerned about scratching. Do magnets work well? I've read some threads here about Krauser having a history of falling off.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks GSR's!
    1979 GS850G
    2004 SV650N track bike
    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

For a tank bag, I recommend the First Gear expandable one. It also doubles as a back pack, has a map window, and if you want a map on your tank and no tank bag, the bottom with the magnets removes for just a map case. I also comes with a good rain cover.
    I've had mine now for 2 years, and it's seen duty from MN to CA and back, MN to NC and back, as well as trips all over MN and the Fennimore rally last year.
    You can really pack it full too.

Comment

Krauser Luggage

I have had a 79 GS850 with Krauser luggage from the 1980's which are watertight and removable. These can be found on ebay. They have been on for the past 29 years.
      I recently purchased a 1983 GS1100 and have outfitted it with the same bags, that I purchased of ebay.
      What I love about them are they are easy to remove, tight against the bike, hold plenty and when removed there is little evidence that you have bags.

Comment

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I've checked out their websites and they look nice. I'll probably buy one piece at a time, that is, the tool bag first then the tank bag.

I've accumulated a list of tools to put in the tool bag for the day trips then i'll plan on overnight trips afterwards.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

Comment

Do your bike a favor and find someplace else to stash the tools.

A LOT of air comes from the top of the tire, then back to cool the engine.
          You put a fork bag on there and there is a good chance your bike will overheat.
          Far better to invest a little bit in a luggage rack.
          If you need extra space for your other stuff, you can fasten the tool pouch to the bottom of the luggage rack.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I stash my tools and rain gear under the seat with room to spare. On long trips I use a large tank bag and on really long trips I use a tail bag. Cheers

Comment

Good advice Steve. Not really but that's why i was thinking about getting a tank bag first but don't want to look like an idiot with a tank bag while commuting to work for 1/2 hr ride. Guess i'd look more like an idiot sitting on the side of the road.

I'll see what and how much i can put under my seat. The tool compartment is maxed out now.

Thanks!
              1979 GS850G
              2004 SV650N track bike
              2005 TT-R125 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                Good advice Steve. Not really but that's why i was thinking about getting a tank bag first but don't want to look like an idiot with a tank bag while commuting to work for 1/2 hr ride. Guess i'd look more like an idiot sitting on the side of the road.

I'll see what and how much i can put under my seat. The tool compartment is maxed out now.

Thanks!
                What's wrong with having a tank bag on for a commute? Nobody's business if need to carry something or not. Ride your own ride.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  What's wrong with having a tank bag on for a commute? Nobody's business if need to carry something or not. Ride your own ride.
                  Yeah, most of the Hardly riders don't wave anyway, the 'Wing riders are too busy texting and tending to their on board Mr. Coffees, the crotch rocketeers are too busy being cool, as long as the tank bag doesn't make you crash, it's all good!!!!! Nobody but you will even notice it's there.

Comment

I recommend a motopak tank bag (GT-27) http://www.motopakluggage.com/luggage.html

I take mine to work everday. It's great, just throw it on the tank and the magnets hold it in place. With reference to being "geek looking" I don't think so and besides who cares. The tank bag makes the motorcycle more versatile by being able to run errands and pick up small items which in turn lets me ride the bike more, Ted

Comment

I knew if I searched on here i would find these guys somehow... Shot them an email as I am curious about shipping issues from canada to US... GTS-90 and a tank bag FTW

Comment

Update:

I have gotten my grubby hands on a set of motopak gts-90, gt-27 tank bag and their tail bag...(not sure I'll like the tailbag) However, I got a good ebay price on them under retail by 50%. Rack I have has a trunk on works but is giving me a headache as it not the right one for my bike...if I can makeup for it with saddle bags and tank bags... perhaps I ditch the rack all together.... will post pics as threads I see with these in them appear to have broken links to pics on the bike.

...only concern I have is rear turn signal clearance / tie down points but i think my concerns will go away once I get them in my hands and install...

EDIT Scratch the fitting.. they fit with room to spare on the rear Though I want to make the straps longer as I have a issue with the cords not being long enough to secure where I like. I am waiting on the new rack to arrive as it IS the one for my bike so now I can use the tailbag. side bags tank bags and Trunk. WooT...I'm packin!
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2010, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Someone on here posted a link to sears online for bags.

You might search better than me... but this will give you an idea.

They have some great prices on soft bag combos sets. like this:
                          all for $50

Some of the bags would require a decent rack / sissy bar to hold. secure... but they have some affordable options.

No review on quality or anything from me, but if / when I get some new bags I will consider them

Comment

I agree with the motopak, fantastic tank bag. I use the lower section daily and when both sections are on you can pack loads into it. Large map windows, easy zippers and if you shop their ebay store you can get a real steal of a deal.
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                            X