Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repair of cracks in side panels

hi...
    What is the best way to repair a few little cracks on my side panels...other than duct tape...lol. Not concerned with what the inside will look like, just want to fix them before they get worse.
    thx
    Rick

Several options are available:

1) You JB weld the back side and use some stiffener bars under the JB to help reinforce the back side

2) You can fiberglass it with some netting on the back side

3) You buy a new cover

Comment

I vote fibreglass resin with the cloth, I've used that repair for many plastic pieces and it works well, as well as being strong.

Comment

2 part plastic epoxy. Works great. I put my rear cowling back together after one of the tabs broke off and filled in several spots that had been worn down. After sanding it all down you would never be able to tell.

However you repair it, make sure you prep the surface area well. Clean the oils off from it, sand it if you're going to apply anything to it because you want to give any adhesives a good 'bite.' If you use any type of adhesives, make sure you do it outside because that 2-part epoxy is rank.

Comment

plastic weld 2 part epoxy

avaliable from several vendors

Comment

Replace side cover?

Anyone have a good source for side cover replacements? The last of the tabs has broken off of my left side cover (Red '82 GS1100EZ)... I like zip-ties just fine, but enough is enough.

Can these actually be bought at this point or do they have to come off another bike? And if so, how difficult is repainting?

Thanks

Comment

i used jb weld on my cracked side panel in a crack that was bout 3 inches long.i used a dremel tool to clean it out and give the jb weld something to bite too.after it dried i then sanded it and prepped it for paint.im very pleased with the results you cant even tell there was a crack .

Comment

How about epoxy AND fiberglass mat with resin!!!!!

Comment

I used plastex for repairs and so far it works great.

Comment

Broken Tabs

What works great is to get some aluminum L bracket and cut short lengths the width of the tap. The one side of the L is the foot for a new tab and the other is filed down to the shape that will fit into the rubber grommet. Bond to the cover with plastic weld. No more breakage problems.

Comment

For the inside portion of the sidecover I have had very good success with JB Weld with the addition of some cloth fibers for strength. In my case I used some of those cloth drier softener sheets..............you know, the ones that make your clothes smell real purty when they come out of the drier.
                      Apply a layer of epoxy to the inner portion of your cover, then cut to size a strip of softener sheet and lay over the epoxy. Add more epoxy over the softerner sheet to cover it. Let dry and you're good to go.

Comment

Crack fix on panels

I to used J.B Weld on my front faring and tab. I sanded around the area and then used a toothpick directly on the crack then J.B Weld and some duct tape to hold it while it was drying.. worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin' Low View Post
                          Anyone have a good source for side cover replacements? The last of the tabs has broken off of my left side cover (Red '82 GS1100EZ)... I like zip-ties just fine, but enough is enough.

Can these actually be bought at this point or do they have to come off another bike? And if so, how difficult is repainting?

Thanks

covers are $75 each.....NEW!!

Comment

Side panels

If you have a suzuki shop and they are willing to type on their computer for you you can still buy new ones for some suzuki models, I know 1983 gs1100e are still available and gs1000 1980, just had my dealer look for them today. If not call Fox's Suzuki in Roxboro NC he is a huge GS fan and will do what he can for you 336-599-3787. Richard or Todd Fox, they have always bent over backwards for me. He brought my gs1100e and just brought new side panels for it from suzuki. They will let you know what is or is not discontinued from suzuki. Good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                              That's pretty good... for some reason I had thought I looked there once upon a time. Any idea if they come painted, or in a particular color?

Maybe I'll try the aluminum tabs idea, I like that. I've tried JB weld of two different types, and it cracked right off each time, but I didn't put any reinforcing fibers.

Comment

Working...
                              X