repair of cracks in side panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    How about epoxy AND fiberglass mat with resin!!!!!
    Yup, that is what I used on the inside surface. I used a small piece of fiberglass matting and the resin that came with it in the body kit and let it set up for 24 hours before I installed it. It came out great. Strong and you really have to look to see the crack from the outside. Cheap and easy. Just my .02 cents worth. ( or .25 cents worth, when adjusted for inflation)

Comment

plastic repair solution

best for plastic repair is calld 100EZ its made by lord fuzer its a professional grade 2 part glue and will harden in about 2 mins with sum heat on it

Comment

I read an article years ago and the repair went like this. Take a soldering gun and notch a "v" all the way down the crack. Then take a spare piece of the same plastic as the covers and use the soldering iron to melt it and fill the crack with new plastic. People swore by this repair and said it never broke again because it was as strong as new.

Paul
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

I like your fix with melting plastic into the crack....however, the properties of the plastic will change as you melt it unless you can control the temp and rate that it melts at to keep from burning it as it melts.....better off to just buy some fiberglass repair from Autozone and stay away from BONDO!!

My stockcars NEVER broke at the same place as the fiberglass repair.....they ALWAYS broke about an inch away from the repair.....the fiberglass held stronger than the original plastic!

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
            I read an article years ago and the repair went like this. Take a soldering gun and notch a "v" all the way down the crack. Then take a spare piece of the same plastic as the covers and use the soldering iron to melt it and fill the crack with new plastic. People swore by this repair and said it never broke again because it was as strong as new.

Paul
            This is the basic principle of plastic welding. To do it properly you use a welding tip on a heatgun that looks like this -

The plastic rod falls through the tube as it melts and ends up in the groove that you have created in the plastic. Or, as in this case, it falls into the gap between the two pieces of plastic.

Comment

For me, the right tool for the job. Household epoxies dont have the same flexibility as the automotive grade plastics used in bikes. 3M and several other make plastic repair kits that make repairs easy for just about anyone. They bond perfectly to the panel, sand easy and will last. Most Auto parts joints will have one or the other manufacture's product. And then a can or 2 of DuplaColor or auto spray of your chose and youre looking good again. Its a weekend job at best if you follow the directions. And the best part, you can say you did the job.

Comment

Working...
              X