pro's con's to tire/rim sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pro's con's to tire/rim sizes?

Why does my bike come with 18" f/r and others are 16 or 17 or 19 or???

can I swap on fatter tires on 17" rims from another bike and be fine?

I just like my bike but not the pizza cutter tires, ha ha

just learnin is all!

No, probably not. You'd need to change wheels to get a thicker wheel rim & that would involve a lot of modification.

I am guessing you probably run 120 rear & 100 or 110 front. That's about the limit for the smaller GS's normally. Even the 1100 only runs 130 rear with the same size front.

The easiest way to get thicker tyres is to buy a newer bike....

The smaller your wheels the quicker the turn in. 17" is about the standard on street bikes now I think. (Sport & Sport tourer, super moto etc anyway.) The BMW's, KTM's etc may be running a larger dia with thinner tyre.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I expected it would take a lot of mods, but I guess I was wondering if it was worth it?

I think it would LOOK better, but if it rode worse or something then its not worth it. I was thinking something like the common gsxr swap mods etc...

Comment

I would ride much better if you got it right.... It's a fair amount of work though. Tyres are more expensive.
        You'd need good rear suspension to get the best from it.
        I would budget at least $500 to do it. Maybe more...

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

fine, pizza cutters it is...

I wonder if the 83 750E near me for $500 could donate some parts....

Comment

From your photo sig it looks at thought you have spokers. You can always buy a new rim and spoke kit and relace to a new width or dia. My 1980 GS750 came stock with a 16"x2.75 rear cast wheel. It will, when Im done, have a 16"x3.5 rear allowing me to wear a 130 with ease. Rims can be found on the cheap these days. Just have to take your time and make sure youre getting the correct rim. If the 450 is the same, it will be a 36 hole rim. Not as popular as you may think.

Comment

Nope, I have cast rims, and I REALLY don't like the style, I pretty much like ANY other GS rim but mine, urgh. I would take spokes or the star rims any day...

Comment

donimo.....I'm not sure how different your rear swingarm is from my 550 but I'm in the middle of a swap over to 88 Katana Rims front and rear. The front is a 3.00 width 17 inch wheel and the rear is a 3.50 width 17 inch wheel. Looking at a 140/70-17 in the rear. Pretty much a straight bolt on for me. Look through my thread on the Katana conversion. Plenty of guys with knowledge on this. I got both wheels for around $100 shipped. Not $100 each......BOTH!

While I'm at it I'm putting a '99 GSXR 750 shock on the rear and an 88 GSXR 750 front end.....still pretty much a bolt-on mod!

search the forums more on Katana conversions.....

Paul

Comment

Thanks I have, but no one has done a swap to a 400/450 that I can find...

I will be keeping this bike for a while, be fun to go all out on it and still be a 400, wheeeee!

But yeah, no idea on the swing arm swap, front end MIGHT be possible though. Not worth it to me if I cant do the rear too though...

Comment

not sure you can do it based on the driveline............

Comment

what size tire is on the rear now?

Comment

I would think you may have to change swingarm. You'll also have to change brake setup as it looks like you have a drum at the back....

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

aaaaaaand never mind.

Just a thought, just looks funny when I walk up to my bike head on, front tire looks like a bicycle tire ha.

Not worth a rediculous amount of work, maybe if I get a new daily commuter, or I find a deal on a donor bike...

Comment

what size is on it now????

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                              what size is on it now????
                              I'd have to go look I don't remember, but haynes says 3.50x18 (front is 3.00x18)

sounds about right, I may actually have a 4.00 on the back but again I will have to go look.

Comment

Working...
                              X