Painted Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wingnut1 View Post
    I may paint my carbs (Mikuni BS34) this winter and besides the usual o-rings and jets removed before dipping, I was wondering if anything else needs to be removed before baking them? (200 F 15 or 20 minutes). I've read the butterflys can remain, but a list of things I was wondering about is below. Item numbers from the shop manual's exploded diagram in ()

1) needle jet stopper (7)
    2) synchronizer screws (14)
    3) throttle lever and parts under it (15)
    4) oil seal (19)

Anything else? Plan is strip for rebuild, rolling boil, tape, etch prime, then gloss or satin black and bake. They were dipped a couple years ago, so I can skip that.
    ideally you should strip them completely, right down to the bare body to do a proper job, especially if boiling
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

This might help you:

My GS1100G Blog - Some Butterfly Capers shows how I got the butterflies out.

If you go through the blog there are 5 other recent postings on my carb break down.

My view was that if you have the time (it is winter here in the UK) you might as well go the whole hog and strip every part out. I discovered that one of my butterfly throttle rods was missing its precious seal completely. The other 7 are baked to an almost solid state and can't work very well as an air seal. So it's going to make me feel heaps better knowing when I go for a first start up (after 10 years) that it is not the butterfly seals causing the problem.

Today I have 4 carb bodies with not a single other item attached to or in them. Naked as the day they were cast. I popped them all on the stove and boiled the crap out of them. Literally.

Greetings
      Last edited by londonboards; 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM.
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
        This might help you:

My GS1100G Blog - Some Butterfly Capers shows how I got the butterflies out.

If you go through the blog there are 5 other recent postings on my carb break down.

My view was that if you have the time (it is winter here in the UK) you might as well go the whole hog and strip every part out. I discovered that one of my butterfly throttle rods was missing its precious seal completely. The other 7 are baked to an almost solid state and can't work very well as an air seal. So it's going to make me feel heaps better knowing when I go for a first start up (after 10 years) that it is not the butterfly seals causing the problem.

Today I have 4 carb bodies with not a single other item attached to or in them. Naked as the day they were cast. I popped them all on the stove and boiled the crap out of them. Literally.

Greetings
        Good god man, when is the last time you cleaned that stove
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
        X