Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I be looking for if I want DRZ-SM type rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I be looking for if I want DRZ-SM type rims?

I really like the Black spoked rims on the DRZ-SM (well truth be told I just plain love the DRZ-SM, but they are about 6grand more than I have to spend so...).

Is there a set of 17 (or 18 if it just cant be done) spokers that could be made to look like those for an 83 gs400 (gs450)?

I have no idea what this entails is all, can stockers be painted in a way that lasts?

I saw this bike in a parking lotm which looks enough like my bike that it gave me ideas...

Comment

If you want to use anything but the stock GS spokes you start talking big money... Supermoto wheels are really expensive!

You can get wide rims put on GS hubs for about $600+ plus postage!

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I am fine with stock I just don't know what to shop for. Did they change yhe wheels year to year? Is there a GS that came with spoked 18" wheels and a rear drum that will just bolt right up to my bike?

Just goin for looks not entering any supermoto tourneys

Comment

I don't think any came with a drum... maybe one of the 750 models.

You might be able to swap to rear disk brake if you switch out the swingarm.

You can then get a 750 or a 1000 spoke set of wheels. You'd have to get a set & measure them up, check out the axles etc etc. You'd then be running a 19" front & an 18" rear.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Don't know if this will help you, as it sounds like you specifically want 17" or 18" rims, but...one of the bikes I have at home is a suzuki GN400, and it has factory spoke rims with a drum on the rear wheel. It is a 16" rim on the rear, though, so that's why I'm thinking it may not help.

Comment

I am not sure I care too much, I just wonder if the "look" that I like about supermoto's has a bit to do with them both being equal sizes? I am worried that going to a big/little setup will make it too "cruiser" and that is the opposite of what I want...

So no 17/17 or 18/18 setups out there? in spokes?

what do I measure on my bike to help out deciding what fits?

Comment

Does this look "too criuser" to you? This is a 19/18, and don't look too much different. Maybe its the width??

Comment

all you need are a set of spokes from another 400. Has a drum on the rear and the ones I scored where 18 front and 17 rear. Easy enuff to lace a 17 to the front or vice versa. I found a set on egay for $35 each. Then just powder coat and spoke to suit. No mods straight bolt on.
                  Dirty, how'd you get the spokes on that front end? Looks sick!!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-01-2009, 08:43 AM.

Comment

duuuuuuuude, that is toight like toiger!

I can so live with that, those are fat rims though aren't they? man I need to figure out how to do that!

So the rims didnt change from the 70's 400 to the 83 era 450e? That's the info I neede I'm guessing, that 19/18 combo doest look bad at all, can barely tell, so an 18/17 would most likey be the same.

Of course now I want pimp USD forks too dammit...

ok I will hunt around for 400 spokers. I assume un-lacing spokes and relacing is straight forward?

Comment

I should write this down cause I've asked before... What front end is it? I know the front wheel is a harley hub that you spoked onto a new rim yourself.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I don't mind telling the story again Dan. Yeah, Sportster hub, stock rear hub. Sun aluminum rims, and harley stainless spokes.

Getting the axle to fit was a bit tricky, I had to find larger bearings and turn down the axle.

And... I did all this stuff on the cheap. I don't have money falling out of my pockets. Being resourceful, and having a problem with letting somebody else do it for me has helped out a great deal. Dont let the seemingly complex appearance of spokes scare you, it's been done by hundreds and thousands of others, and you can do it too.

If anyone has wanted to learn about lacing wheels, check out any 80's-90"s H-D service manual. Most spoke wheels are assembeled in the same manner.

Thanks for the kudos!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyfingers View Post
                          If anyone has wanted to learn about lacing wheels, check out any 80's-90"s H-D service manual. Most spoke wheels are assembeled in the same manner.
                          These manuals are about $80 each, but I have one, so if anyone wants, I should be able to scan and post the relevant pages.

Comment

you totally should. Maybe have the admins sticky it in the tech forum. That's useful info, I need it as I'm sure others would to, so if you have time please post.

Comment

Working...
                            X