1977 GS550 and '94 CBR600 salvage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS550 and '94 CBR600 salvage

Hello, I am new to the forums! I apologize for the double post but it occurred to me that this forum might be more approriate to the question.

Honda CBR has a thrown rod. Engine is probably completely done for. Wasn't crashed, tires rims suspension stock, electrical stock and working though battery is dead.

Price is $350 plus the PITA of picking it up. I figure I could probably cover costs parting but I won't do it unless I can get something fun for my little GS.

I see a lot of talk of swapping front ends and rotors etc etc but I don't have enough experience to know how to spot the assorted problems and pitfalls before hand.

I was just wondering if there was anything reasonably fun that can be done with these parts.
    Thanks!

Probably should be in the performance area but, to switch front ends you'll have to deal with steering stem and bearing differences. The CBR uses caged rollers and the 550 loose rollers. That may not be any problem at all. You never know until you pull things off and see what it will take to adapt the new parts. If you can make it all work it will be a big improvement over the stock 550 stuff.

Comment

The CBR uses caged rollers and the 550 loose rollers
      Well I found that the CBR600f2 has a inner bearing diameter of 26mm. I can't find what the gs550 stem is.

goallbearings says parts 22-1005 and 22-1020 fit each bike seperately but unless there is some code I can't decipher what that means.

Additonally they have this memo regarding fitting a replacement tapered bearing in the gs550. http://www.goallballs.com/pdf/Suzuki...g_Stem_Mod.pdf

I don't think that helps me determine this but I am getting the feeling that if you have to machine the stock stem from 25mm to 24.5mm to fit these bearings that fitting a 26mm in the same stem might be a problem?

Comment

22mm is what they seems to indicate. Someone here posted about how to decipher bearing sizes. Post in the tech section for an answer on it.

Comment

Buy it, do it and teach it...
          McLoud
          '79 GS850
          `98 GSF1200 Bandit
          sigpic
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
            Buy it, do it and teach it...
            Wish I had the luxury of being able to fail and sit on parts forever :-p

OK more info.
            Bearing dimensions for GS550 1977, both top and bottom I assume.
            ID 25mm
            OD 48mm
            Width 16mm

for CBR600f2 (IDxODxheight)
            26mmx46mmx11mm top
            30mmx55mmx12mm bottom.

So I would need a
            26x48x11(or 16?) top
            30x48x12(or 16?) bottom

I wonder if these sizes exist.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM. Reason: brainfart

Comment

Dammit.
              Goallballs part no 99-3511 is 26mmx48.8mmx15mm which is 0.5mm to large on the OD

Part no. 99-3506 is 30mmx48mmx15mm with a few other shorter options.

Anyone have any idea what options I might have if I have a 0.5mm oversized bearing?

Comment

Working...
              X