Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone sandblast their own motor themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DO NOT DO IT! unless you want to destroy the engine. I can tell you you can not get the openings sealed tight enough and some sand WILL get in. My suggestion is Oven Cleaner. Wally World sells cheap stuff for $1.25 per can. It is neutralized by tap water, so a couple of applications over 5-10 minutes then spray it off with a garden hose or better yet the old local D.I.Y. car wash. Let the engine dry in the sun and repeat on the spots that are still coated with paint Do this a few times and 99% or more of the paint is gone. Total cost beside your time is under $10

Comment

i have sandblasted a complete assembled engine with no problems. I also have used chemical paint stippers that caused several gaskets to leak very badly. If stipper will eat the paint, it will eat gaskets. Just be sure to plug EVERYTHING befroe sandblasting. As much of a pain both were, i would partially disassemble to remove paint with a media blaster

Comment

Well it seems we have a new topic that gets the blood pumping.

It's nice to have something other than what tyres are best?, which oil should I use?, do you use the clutch for every gear change? and should I chop the frame? to argue, er sorry, debate about.

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
          DO NOT DO IT! unless you want to destroy the engine. I can tell you you can not get the openings sealed tight enough and some sand WILL get in. My suggestion is Oven Cleaner. Wally World sells cheap stuff for $1.25 per can. It is neutralized by tap water, so a couple of applications over 5-10 minutes then spray it off with a garden hose or better yet the old local D.I.Y. car wash. Let the engine dry in the sun and repeat on the spots that are still coated with paint Do this a few times and 99% or more of the paint is gone. Total cost beside your time is under $10
          Oven cleaner is just weak paint stripper. It does less of a job and is almost as dangerous to your health and the environment. Evil stuff and it shouldn't be washed down the drain.

If you're going to do this please do it outside and hose it off onto the grass or into the garden.

Comment

WOW-I STARTED A GOOD ONE' . Seriously, GREAT input. I got so sick of looking at my ugly motor, I decide to at least try the Aircraft Remover on the clutch cover. That way, if it doesn't work too well, I haven't jaked up the hard part (fins and spark plug holes). Of course, I'm sure by the end of the weekend, I'm sure OCD will kick in and I'll have the whole motor out and dissasembiled (I hope not).

Can you spray walnut shells out of a Speed Blaster? Also, anyone know what HP size (basically how much do I have to spend) compresor to run this total loss system?

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
              how do you feel about just using walnut shells? is it as critical, and scary as sand to do a assembled engine?
              Walnut shells work great, but as I said before, I wouldnt attempt to blast a motor thats still assembled. The average owner will not take the time and means involved to do the job correctly. If youre dead set on leaving the engine in place and assembled, my first post is the one I stand behing still. A good cleaner like Purple power to soak and Scotch style pads until you got the effect you want. Then to keep all nice and shiney, I good brand of HiHeat clear paint.

Comment

most media blasters consume a fair amount of air volume and for the most part they need to be able to maintain 90 psi or so. I have never used the hobby type units, but I would imagine they still eat a lot of air. You need to find a compressor that can maintain 90 psi at 9cfm min I would think. If you lower the air pressure too much it will not work as well and if the compressor does not keep up fast enough to replace the air being used the pressure will drop.

good luck with it.

Comment

After reading all this, I think I may do the disassemble the motor route.

It's free, and then I may try the Aircraft method on the parts, free of all gaskets. Again, free (minus new gaskects of course). If it is too much of an ass pain, then, she'll already be apart-I'll go the blasting route. I can glass bead her at work or take it somewhere to get the walnut shell treatment (all we have is glass beads at work, we use it for guns-the boss would flip if I swapped it out with W.S., and I don't feel like inhaling a few ounces swapping them out, then back in). I'll try to take before, during, and after pics to post here. I'm not in a rush, so hopefully I'll get it done in a week or two.

I've decided I'm too OCD to just ride her ugly. No matter how good she runs, it's a classic and I want people to gravitate toward it-not away. Who doesn't love a clean GS!

Comment

Thank you Bribird!

Comment

Hey, not a problem. What area do you live in?

Comment

In near Tampa FL

Comment

I was told by a friend that soda blasts his car motors complete that baking soda works best as it is easily rinsed away with water afterwards and disolves quickly! Less cleanup....Less abrasive.....you may have to do more shooting to get the results you want.

All very good ideas/information......choose the one that best fits your needs and budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                            Oven cleaner is just weak paint stripper. It does less of a job and is almost as dangerous to your health and the environment. Evil stuff and it shouldn't be washed down the drain.

If you're going to do this please do it outside and hose it off onto the grass or into the garden.
                            Oven clean has Lye in it, good for stripping anodizing off aluminum bits. Paint stripper is different I think, the active ingredient is Methylene Chloride.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                              Well it seems we have a new topic that gets the blood pumping.

It's nice to have something other than what tyres are best?, which oil should I use?, do you use the clutch for every gear change? and should I chop the frame? to argue, er sorry, debate about.
                              Okay so lets summarize...

Blasting an engine while assembled requires very careful sealing of all openings other wise there is considerable risk of engine damage. Fabricated metal block off plates with rubber seals for example are required.

Happy?
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                Okay so lets summarize...

Blasting an engine while assembled requires very careful sealing of all openings other wise there is considerable risk of engine damage. Fabricated metal block off plates with rubber seals for example are required.

Happy?
                                Yes, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X