Header pipe removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header pipe removal

I am on kind of a cleaning/polishing kick and I want to remove the two inside header pipes to buff off some light rust.

The bolts come off fine, but the pipe is on real tight. Any tricks to pulling it off? I don't want to crush anything. It is especially tight where it connects to the box (not sure what it is called) underneath that connects to the exhaust pipes.

Can I spray a little pb blaster in there to loosen them up?

Thanks!

Rick

You should just remove the entire exhaust and then split up the parts if you still need to. I'll bet the pipe joints are rusted so you might need to add some wd40 to separate them.

Comment

I have already had both the outside ones off so they are ok. I just want to take off the middle two.

Thanks!

Rick

Comment

Just wiggle them slightly while pulling back. Probably just some carbon build up making them stick.

Comment

I just replaced my 2 center pipes because the crossover pipe was split. Anyway, I had to give a pretty strong pull before it they let go.
          I think it was shouldered/split "washers" that were seized up a bit.

Comment

Thanks!

I got them out. I just kept lightly tapping with a rubber malet and they finally broke free.

Rick

Comment

Working...
            X