Cafe-Racer Handle Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe-Racer Handle Bars

I've been looking at two styles of handle bars for a cafe racer build for my 1982 GS750t. Clip-on and Clubman styles but i've found a huge difference and prices. I think some people on the forum must own or encountered a cafe build, and hopefully would have a suggestion on a brand or website to take a look at. I've found a huge difference in clip-on prices the lower quality seemed to have the clips welded to the bars (not sure is this is bad or would hold up fine). Thanks for any input.

Style One - Clubman

Style Two - Clipons

I've got a set of style-2 Vortex clip-ons. Very nice quality. Cost about $135USD everywhere I look. The bar stubs are replaceable, and can be cut-to-length as well.
    Hugh

Comment

Which website did you purchase yours from? I know you have to drill mounting holes in the tubes and remove the triple tree top. Is there any other concerns when installing them.

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
      I've got a set of style-2 Vortex clip-ons. Very nice quality. Cost about $135USD everywhere I look. The bar stubs are replaceable, and can be cut-to-length as well.
      Hugh

Comment

Get the best deals for 35mm Clip Ons at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

I am looking at the clubman style. Anyone installed a set on an 1100? I am worried about tank to bar contact.

My bike had drag bars on it when I got it and the controls would hit the tank at full tilt.

Anyone played with clubmans?

Comment

I have clubmans, but not your model bike, so I don't know about contact issues. They get pretty close to the tank on my 79 750, but they clear.

You should be able to find clubmans for around $20 shipped. Z1 enterprises carries them. I would recommend trying them first. For a much smaller investment you will be able to see if you can tolerate the more aggressive riding stance, and you won't have open bar mounts on your top yoke. If you like them, but still want to do the clip-on thing, you are only out $20. Heck, you can always put them back on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
              Which website did you purchase yours from? I know you have to drill mounting holes in the tubes and remove the triple tree top. Is there any other concerns when installing them.
              Don't know about any hole-drilling, as I didn't need to do any on my install(and not required from Vortex): also, mine are above the triple clamp; because that's where I wanted them. I got mine from ebay...mine's a 1000, so the tubes are 37mm, but I think 750's are 35mm. I just did a search for "vortex clip-ons 37mm", and found several sets from different marketers.
              Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                Don't know about any hole-drilling, as I didn't need to do any on my install(and not required from Vortex): also, mine are above the triple clamp; because that's where I wanted them. I got mine from ebay...mine's a 1000, so the tubes are 37mm, but I think 750's are 35mm. I just did a search for "vortex clip-ons 37mm", and found several sets from different marketers.
                Hope this helps.
                That particular model is 35mm. '83 and up 700/750E models went to 37mm forks.

Comment

I had clubmans.

They were ok. Thought they looked cool at the time. Comfortable enough.

Then I got clip-ons.

They look infinitely better which is what matters to me. It's a cafe bike. It's all I care about. Really though, they are quite comfortable. The need for rear-sets does become very apparent...but I won't get to that for a while. It's comfortable enough on my commute to work and bangin' around town, that's all I use it for.

I mounted mine where they should be, below the triple clamp. Just flipped the headlight ears, notched them and it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Seal View Post
                    I had clubmans.

They were ok. Thought they looked cool at the time. Comfortable enough.

Then I got clip-ons.

I mounted mine where they should be, below the triple clamp. Just flipped the headlight ears, notched them and it's good.
                    Having owned a Duc 916, I realized that I'm willing to compromise "the look" a bit, in favor of my way-bad lower-back; plus, the clip-ons mounted on top, fall perfectly into the S-fairing's contours also occupied by the turn signal stalks.

Comment

I myself also prefer clipons. Yes they cost a bunch more but there are times the adjustability of them makes it worth it. You may find you need to fiddle with the headlight bracket to get the bars just the way you want them.

One thing that maybe of value are that the clubmans generally place the bars a bit more forwards. This can of value if tank clearance is limited.
                      But with tank clearance in mind be prepared to make changes to your steering stops to reduce the amount of swing if needed.

On mine I reworked the upper clamp to remove the original bar mounts.

Comment

I'm thinking i'm going to get clipons, i'm actually going to pic up the bike this weekend should be a fun project. What brand are your clipons? Did you just machine/grind off the mounts on the upper clamp?

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
                        I myself also prefer clipons. Yes they cost a bunch more but there are times the adjustability of them makes it worth it. You may find you need to fiddle with the headlight bracket to get the bars just the way you want them.

One thing that maybe of value are that the clubmans generally place the bars a bit more forwards. This can of value if tank clearance is limited.
                        But with tank clearance in mind be prepared to make changes to your steering stops to reduce the amount of swing if needed.

On mine I reworked the upper clamp to remove the original bar mounts.

Comment

You see a lot of Clubman's mounted upside down. Here are a set on my brother's '69 trident in the mid 70's.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
                            I'm thinking i'm going to get clipons, i'm actually going to pic up the bike this weekend should be a fun project. What brand are your clipons? Did you just machine/grind off the mounts on the upper clamp?
                            The upper triple got welded in from the underside and then cut off and blend the mounts.
                            The clipons on my bike now are something I got used about 8 years ago. They are all steel weldments in a 37mm diameter. Prior to that I had made my own for the original 35mm forks way back when the bike was new.

Comment

Working...
                            X