Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000S update

Down to just the body and paint now.

This was the starting point, complete but partially disassembled.

Moments after this picture I put gas to it and it lit right off. Runs perfect, idles beautifully, sound of that pipe makes the hair on your arms stand up.

Yoshimura pipe tucks in nicely..looks so f-in' cool.

Refinished the chain guard, sub fender and tail light assembly.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Very Nice project. I went through your photo album. Lots of attention to detail. You are making it look too easy.

What kind of pipe is that? it look very Kewel .

Contrast on motor, emblems and carbs looks great as a back drop for what I assume will be OEM colors on the body.

I really like the seat contour into the tank. That is why I like Corbin seats they seem to have that kind of detail.

Very nice again. How ong till you get the body back?

Shocks looks great; What did you do up front?

JIm

Comment

What engine paint did you use? Is it a gloss or satin? Looks good!

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Cool. Why did you start two threads for this bike on the same day?

Comment

Cool. Why did you start two threads for this bike on the same day?
          lets keep them together

Comment

what kind of pipe is that? it look very Kewel .

Contrast on motor, emblems and carbs looks great as a back drop for what I assume will be OEM colors on the body.

I really like the seat contour into the tank. That is why I like Corbin seats they seem to have that kind of detail.

Very nice again. How ong till you get the body back?

Shocks looks great; What did you do up front?

JIm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliments. The header is an era-correct Yoshimura racing pipe. 2 year search to find it. Yes, the paint will go back to totally stock. I'll do it myself and should be done in a couple of weeks. The only thing I did on the front end were to add '80 GS1000 slotted rotors, the '83 Honda CB1100F fender, rebuilt brake calipers, new fork seals, 110/90x19 Continental tire and Progressive springs. Also, I tried to post all the pics in one thread but I was told it was too many.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              What engine paint did you use? Is it a gloss or satin? Looks good!

Dan
              It's actually a combination of both. The block and cylinders are a "low-gloss" and the engine covers and valve cover are "satin". Very subtle difference but it takes away the "dipped in black paint" look. I used Dupli-Color engine enamel. Nice product.
              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Also, I tried to post all the pics in one thread but I was told it was too many.
                There is a 5 image limit per post but not per thread. It would be easy for you to go edit the other post, copy the entire contents to your clipboard (just do copy) and then add a new post here and put it all in (i.e. paste). That will keep it all together.

Nice job BTW. I know how hard it is to find a good Yoshi pipe even harder with the GS1000 era pipes.

Post up more pics as you do the multi color paint job.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post

Thanks for the compliments. The header is an era-correct Yoshimura racing pipe. 2 year search to find it. Yes, the paint will go back to totally stock. I'll do it myself and should be done in a couple of weeks. The only thing I did on the front end were to add '80 GS1000 slotted rotors, the '83 Honda CB1100F fender, rebuilt brake calipers, new fork seals, 110/90x19 Continental tire and Progressive springs. Also, I tried to post all the pics in one thread but I was told it was too many.

Pipe looks awesome and you're right the sound is fantastic. I have one on my '78 1000. Wish it was bent like yours however. May need to look into that. As far as posting pics, yes you can only post 4 per post. Just start another post with more pics, no need for another thread.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Great work so far!

Comment

The pipe was the one piece that totally decided what direction to take this bike in. It HAD to be a correct Yoshimura pipe, otherwise it just wouldn't have looked right to me. Without the pipe I would have just restored it to original. As it is, all the original parts have been restored and set aside for returning it back to stock someday if I wanted.

Thanks for the tips on posting pics. I just figured out how to do it late last night. Easier than I thought, but now I'll work on refining the technique. This is why I come here. Very helpful advice from people who care about the progress of your project. When the paint work begins, I'll post some more of the various stages. Should be a breeze. Thanks again.
                    1979 GS1000S,

Comment

The pipe was the one piece that totally decided what direction to take this bike in. It HAD to be a correct Yoshimura pipe, otherwise it just wouldn't have looked right to me. Without the pipe I would have just restored it to original. As it is, all the original parts have been restored and set aside for returning it back to stock someday if I wanted.
                      I know what you mean. My ED has a period Yoshi race pipe on it when I got it but was a bit worse for the wear. Now that I have a Yoshi badge on the side of the tank, there i no way I'm putting a V&H megaphone on it.

I over paid for this but I was not going to be denied.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

Comment

After the two year search, I even went as far as to contact Yoshimura-Japan, to ask if they knew where I could find one. They said basically, "good luck.." I saw another one on eBay about a year ago and it was pretty ratty looking and it sold for $300. This one came up, and I guess no one but the owner and me, knew what it was. I got it for..$11.50. I know. I was incredulous. It's in pristine condition, not a single ding in it anywhere. I had a high bid set at $600, because I, too, was not to be denied. Some days life smiles on you, I guess.
                        1979 GS1000S,

Comment

This one came up, and I guess no one but the owner and me, knew what it was. I got it for..$11.50.
                          We have another thief in the house .

The owner if he knew what he had must have also had a white beard and said Ho Ho Ho alot?

I can only say Crapp; but good for you. Bike looks very nice and you should do a Youtube video so we can hear it.

First starting my ED after a top end rebuild with ported head. It is short lived as the MLS head gasket springs a leak and oil starts to come from the jugs

Mine ready for a recent trip after a top end go through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7_t...e=channel_page
                          Last edited by posplayr; 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Funny, the guy who sold it to me, pretty much shook his head and laughed it off. I called him after the auction was over to basically "apologize" for the paultry amount of money he got, because I knew what a rare score it was to begin with, let alone for the price. A real nice, motorcycle knowledgable guy. He said the lesson he learned was to set a reserve. It was also listed in an obscure section that a lot of people that might've been looking for it might not have checked. I had the only bid. I hesitated even saying anything about it, because I still feel a little bit guilty (and yet very happy) about it.
                            1979 GS1000S,

Comment

obscure section

obscure section

What was the obscure section???

Comment

Working...
                              X