Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank swap

What gas tank from the late 70s round / bubble style
    would be a direct bolt on (or minimal modification) to a 1981 GS750.

I have been looking at the 1977,78,79 GS1000 tanks and they look about the same as far as bolting on.

Anyone know for sure or has anyone done this already.

Going for a more vintage cafe look on the 750

I already have spoked rims going on it I just dont think the tank matches.

Tank

Seems to me an 850 or 1000 G model tank is a natual for a cafe bike.
    They seem a little rounder and taller than many of the other tanks that might swap across.

Don

Comment

I KNOW that the 77-79 WONT fit without some modification. The shoulders on the 80 and up are too wide for the tunnel..

Comment

GSryder-Where are your electronics? I have a 79' GS750 and would LOVE to have that clean cut look. Do you still have a battery? Please let me know how/where everything is at.

Comment

The '80-81 1100E tank will bolt onto a '79 1000E frame(so I'll assume vice-versa)...the 80 750 tank appears very similar in external shape to the '80 -'81 1100 tank, but who knows what's underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by oshanac View Post
            GSryder-Where are your electronics? I have a 79' GS750 and would LOVE to have that clean cut look. Do you still have a battery? Please let me know how/where everything is at.

ditto. very clean.

OP, you'd probably like my tank. very difficult to find, but its a GS tank.

Comment

JED.ONLY-That is a very good looking tank shape. GS you say, what year/model?

Comment

Think that's a GS450 tank dude.

Originally posted by oshanac View Post

Plenty of places you can hide the electrics, a few people do away with a lot of stuff and i've heard about people ditching the battery too, a few mods needed to go that far though. I've put most of my electrics under my seat unit but you can fit a couple of bits under the tank or inside the headlight too, just be careful about any heat buildup if you place things in an enclosed space. Those r&r's can give off quite a bit of heat.

Ohhhh, and by the way gsryder, i like your bike dude, hard as nails is that. It's gonna look sweet with spokes on there, i like the tank you have on now too, gives it a different look, more "original" than "traditional", liking it.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2009, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Havent been on here in a little while.

First off thanks for the comments.

OSHANAC all the electronics and the battery are under the seat if you search my posts I have a bunch of in progress pics.

I need to get some updated pics on here since this last pic I have got

new rear shocks
                  seat pad
                  spoked rear rim with new rubber (still waiting on the front)
                  and a little general cleaning

Moving the electronics are not that difficult just takes a little patience and a little thought, I see lots of people on here doing it thats how I got the idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X