Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best way I have found to polish it up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best way I have found to polish it up.

This is my new favorite tool. I was planning on having various parts cleaned and chromed as I rebuilt this bike, but check this out. $60 from Harbor Freight tools and gives great results.

Here is the results of about 2 min. And this is only using the cutting compound, no actual polishing. Great results at a very affordable price compared to chroming. Just wanted to share.

Did you use Diamond lapping paste on that? Looks good.

Comment

That's a nice grinder, i have an 8" one that i use for polishing too. If i can though, and you probably already know but.... you'd be wise to remove the polishing mops before using that grinding stone, the sparks can set the polish soaked mop on fire at worst, but small filings can also get stuck in the mop and do some proper damage to the bits you are trying to polish. Another tip is to put a piece of rubber hose or similar over the spindle, how easy it is for small pieces to run off the side of the mop and get a gouge from the spindle, i have experience in ALL of the above

Comment

Originally posted by yaddy View Post
        If i can though, and you probably already know but.... you'd be wise to remove the polishing mops before using that grinding stone, the sparks can set the polish soaked mop on fire at worst, but small filings can also get stuck in the mop and do some proper damage to the bits you are trying to polish.
        Agreed. Take the grinder off and put a loose-sewn pad on. That way you can use tripoli on the one side, and polishing compound or jeweler's rouge on the loose side. You don't want to use different compunds on the same pad.

I had a friend sell me a nice set-up cheap. I use it all the time. Sooo much easier than doing it with a pad in a hand drill.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Gonna have to make a trip to Harbour Freight, mine works but you have to turn it on and than manually start the wheel and hope that it stays running long enough to do your project. piece O crap!

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
            Agreed. Take the grinder off and put a loose-sewn pad on. That way you can use tripoli on the one side, and polishing compound or jeweler's rouge on the loose side. You don't want to use different compunds on the same pad.
            I am going to try to exchange this one for the dual buffer. I don't know when I would need the grinder wheel anyway. I will have to see what HF's return policy is.

Originally posted by sachsaca View Post
            Did you use Diamond lapping paste on that? Looks good.
            I used the "black" compound, I don't know if it is diamond paste or not.

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            Gonna have to make a trip to Harbour Freight, mine works but you have to turn it on and than manually start the wheel and hope that it stays running long enough to do your project. piece O crap!
            Harbor Freight's stuff isnt the highest quality, but the price is right. You can go through two or three of these for the price of one from Sears. In a buffer's case, how can you mess up a motor? Either it turns or it doesnt.

Comment

I have a grinder/buffer...well its more just a buffer cause it really doesnt have what i would consider enough UMPH to be a grinder. I use it frequently. I also have recently invested in some small sewn wheels and loose wheels, 2 or 3 inch i think. They go on my air powered die grinder for touch ups and cleaning

Comment

Polishing

Originally posted by renobruce View Post

I had a friend sell me a nice set-up cheap. I use it all the time. Sooo much easier than doing it with a pad in a hand drill.
                You mite want do do the buffing out side because of the lint and the mess .

Comment

I’m also a fan of using a stiched wheel with heavy cutting compound. Works great to remove corrosion and is WAY faster than hand sanding. Sears sells their compounds for cheaper than Harbor Freight, and they give you more of it as well so that’s what I’ve been using lately.

I don’t bother with the loose buffing wheels since the finish is too bright in my opinion and doesn’t match the stock look.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

"Sears sells their compounds for cheaper than Harbor Freight, and they give you more of it as well so that’s what I’ve been using lately."

Good tip Nessism!

Mark Vaughn-awesome post. I can't believe you can polish the metal on the wheel with out any prep work. Just clean it and hit the wheel. The black compound, it it HF that you used? You just gave my hope that I CAN polish my bit's and pieces without getting carpal tunnel!

Comment

Originally posted by mark_vaughn View Post
                      I am going to try to exchange this one for the dual buffer. I don't know when I would need the grinder wheel anyway. I will have to see what HF's return policy is.

I used the "black" compound, I don't know if it is diamond paste or not.

Harbor Freight's stuff isnt the highest quality, but the price is right. You can go through two or three of these for the price of one from Sears. In a buffer's case, how can you mess up a motor? Either it turns or it doesnt.
                      I have been looking at getting this same one, can you tell me, is there anyway to take the stone off and hook up another buffing wheel. I like the 9" because it is a little longer and lets you get better angles but the stone part real does cut down on it's usefullness.
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

First Timer-if its anything like their 6" grinder than yes, you can take the stone off. The cover is just a few screws, then take the nut that holds the stone off with a wrench, then the "cup" that surrounds the stone will wiggle off.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                          I have been looking at getting this same one, can you tell me, is there anyway to take the stone off and hook up another buffing wheel. I like the 9" because it is a little longer and lets you get better angles but the stone part real does cut down on it's usefullness.
                          They have one that is buffer on both sides but I didn't see it in the store. The grinding wheel comes off no problems. The motor really isn't strong enough, don't know how well it will handle a 9" wheel.

The wheels do make some mess, its best to break-in the wheels outdoors to get the loose fibers out of the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                            Here's an 8 incher with two buffing wheels.............

Thanks,
                            Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                            X