Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly screen options for 9" headlight?

Hey guys,
    I don't have my GS1100E anymore, but I did do a round headlight conversion on my '01 ZRX 1200R last summer with an '85 1150E headlight - the infamous "train" light. I love the looks, but I've been thinking about maybe putting something back to cut the wind blast. I'm thinking along the lines of an older style Buell X1 flyscreen, but I'm not too sure it would work with a 9" dia. headlight. Has anyone done something similar on their bikes? If so, got pics? Thanks!

8" or 9" ???

I'm going a street fighter GSXR 1100 and I put a GS1100ED 8" headlamp on with USD forks. There are several Ducati monster options as that bike uses a single large headlamp. The GS is about 9" between mounts while the Duc is only 8". I cant get to pics at the moment. Depending upon what you are looking for this gives you a More modern look.

On the other hand for a period look I would do the Maier sport fairing although you need to open up the 7" hole for the 8" headlamp. I stuck the Duc fairing on my ED and it did not look bad.

I'll post some pics later

Last edited by posplayr; 05-13-2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Pretty kewl. I was thinking of something a little more minimal, like the Buell X1 style flyscreen (preferably a carbon fiber aftermarket version) like this:

But I have my doubts about adapting it to the big-azz 9 incher. I was hoping someone here might have tried it already. Anyway, here's what my ZRX looks like with the 1150E headlight if anybody is interested:

Comment

Well there are a fair number of options that will attach right to the headlamp (with a small adapter). You will need 4 points, so that will require additional bracing.

How bout a bikini?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Well there are a fair number of options that will attach right to the headlamp (with a small adapter). You will need 4 points, so that will require additional bracing.

How bout a bikini?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducat...Q5fAccessories
          Saw that last night when I was scouring eBay. I'd hate to buy one only to find out that the diameter of the opening is too small for the 9" light.

Comment

Headlight for a 99-02 buell x-1 and m-2 is 8" diameter. The flyscreens are made from abs plastic and very easy to modify for a larger or dual headlight, just increase the radius of the round end. Also have to fabricate some mounts. But they also can be had for very cheap. Well maybe not the carbon fiber ones. Myabe one for a buell blast would be better as the bulge for the guages is in the center instead of offset like the x-1
            Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

For about $10 ( or less) worth of plastic you can make your own.

As previously mentioned, most commercial screens are either ABS plastic or Lexan (see through). These plastics can be thermoformed i.e. formed with application of heat.

What you can do, if your handy with tools, is make a template from carboard. Transfer the shape to a piece of 3or 5mm plastic sheet stock and heat the stock in an oven or with a heat gun then gently bend to shape.

It is easier if you use the template to make a form out of wood to shape the plastic against. this is called "drape forming" as the plastic is heated and "draped " over the form. It is one step removed from vacuum forming which is how body parts are made. In vacuum forming the plastic is heated, draped over the form and sucked down tight over the form by vacuum pressure.

If you use this method and a heat gun, the plastic can be shaped quite easily and once cooled will give you the shape you're after. Wear gloves as the plastic will get very hot.

You can usually get plastics from specialty plastic suppliers, some larger hobby stores and even some of the building centers. Look up plastics in the yellow pages.

Hope this gives you some more ideas.

Good luck with you projects.

Cheers,
              Spyug

Comment

Sounds like a great option. I'm assuming that the form doesn't have to have a perfect surface finish unless you plan to get the lexan to a liquid state.

Comment

The form doesn't have to be smooth as a baby's bum but it shouldn't have big lumps since the plastic will take whatever shape it covers.

If you pull a search on vacuum forming you will see a lot of home built projects.What a lot of guys do is sandwich the plastic between two metal frames and heat the lot in the oven. When the plastic starts to melt it will sag. At this "chewing gum" stage i.e. soft and flexi it can be pressed over the form very easily and assumes the shape.

Using a heat gun (paint stripper) you can do the same thing but its a little slower and fiddly as you need to heat sections at a time but if the form is simple enough it isn't a huge task.

You also have to be gentle with pushing the plastic as you can put finger dints in it if too soft. Practice with a scrap piece first of course.

If you read up on vacuum forming you will see it is easy enough tto build a home rig and if you vacuum form you can actually do small production runs very easily.

In addition to fly screens you can form many other body pieces and I have made side covers this way.

Give it a whirl its lots of fun custom fabing things.

Cheers,
                  Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    For about $10 ( or less) worth of plastic you can make your own.

As previously mentioned, most commercial screens are either ABS plastic or Lexan (see through). These plastics can be thermoformed i.e. formed with application of heat.

What you can do, if your handy with tools, is make a template from carboard. Transfer the shape to a piece of 3or 5mm plastic sheet stock and heat the stock in an oven or with a heat gun then gently bend to shape.

It is easier if you use the template to make a form out of wood to shape the plastic against. this is called "drape forming" as the plastic is heated and "draped " over the form. It is one step removed from vacuum forming which is how body parts are made. In vacuum forming the plastic is heated, draped over the form and sucked down tight over the form by vacuum pressure.

If you use this method and a heat gun, the plastic can be shaped quite easily and once cooled will give you the shape you're after. Wear gloves as the plastic will get very hot.

You can usually get plastics from specialty plastic suppliers, some larger hobby stores and even some of the building centers. Look up plastics in the yellow pages.

Hope this gives you some more ideas.

Good luck with you projects.

Cheers,
                    Spyug
                    EXCELLENT idea!!

Comment

Working...
                    X