Sissybars/Backrest Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sissybars/Backrest Pics?

Would those of you that have backrests mind posting up some pictures? I'm really wanting to make at least on backrest for the passenger so my girlfriend will actually ride this thing when I get it done and I kind of want to make a small luggage rack and backrest for me as well. Really I just need to see exactly how/where these things are mounted and how they sit so I can cut the frames or fab them up out of out of some plate steal or DOM tubing that I have (or will have with the DOM) laying around.

I'll worry about the padded part later

Comment

Sweetness! That looks more doable then I originally thought. I may be able to get some decently thick wall cheap tubing from Lowe's or something.

Comment

Here's one of a stock grab bar on an '81 GS750L. Should give you some ideas.

Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thanks! Now I know just exactly where the stock bars attach. Looks like the positioning is perfect for what I'm planning!

Comment

Wish I had a picture from my first GS. The backrest would telescope into/out of the rack depending if I was solo or doubling up. It gave an extra little bit of room on the rack when I was solo as well.

Anyhow, here's a picture of the current backrest. Had the upholstery redone this spring and added the LED brake/tail light as one of this years projects. It's an ASCHCO brand.

Comment

I was thinking about drilling a few different pairs of mounting holes so I could adjust it like that.

Thanks for the pics fellas! I'm so jealous of the chrome since my GS has 2 layers of thick n' nasty rattle can overspray all over it right now (PO's).

Comment

hey I dont know what brand mine is, just got the bike

Comment

Looks almost identical to the one above it but your's has some black to it.

Congrats on the new bike! I hope it runs! I just fried my left side coil pack on my '82 GS450L trying to get it started

Comment

D'OH! I should have unstrapped the backpack before taking the pictures. Yes, it looks the same.

Comment

My sliding backrest.

Comment

Working...
                      X