Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you clean a bike that hasn't been washed in decades without taking it apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you clean a bike that hasn't been washed in decades without taking it apart?

I have searched and searched, but most "how to wash your bike" articles assume your bike is just got a bit of dust on it or something, what if it has been ridden in the rain etc for the last 20 years?

I have wiped off what I can but I dont want to turn a hose on it and have it never start again etc...

any "insider" tips?

thanks!

1) Why would it never start again if you use a hose? It is rainproof, so a garden hose will not be any worse.
    2) Simple green, dishsoap, hot water and lots of elbow grease.
    3) You will need to check and lube cables, linkages, etc. after a heavy duty cleaning session. All good maintenance work and it gets you more familiar with your bike.
    4) Don't be afraid to pull the seat, tank and side panels. This gives you way more access to the nooks and crannies that accumulate the hard to find and clean gunk.

Mark

Comment

Watch these... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREqf4wIukA

There are 5 altogether..... (the others will be in related videos side bar)
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Keep the bike running while washing. If it starts stalling, stop washing that particular area.

And don't spray massive amounts of cold water on a hot engine.

(I believe Jethro gave me this same advice a while back. Now I'm wondering if it stems from that old adage - "Technical knowledge is directly proportional to the amount of sh*t you've f*cked up.")

Comment

phew!

that was MUCH better, watching videos on "how to wash your garage queen" were not helping me at all.

I needed "how to wash your left out beside the garage queen"

That looks like a lot of work, guess that books up my free time slot when my wife takes the squirt to visit grandma next week...

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Watch these... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREqf4wIukA

There are 5 altogether..... (the others will be in related videos side bar)
            Those are great videos. It reminds me of what I started with on my Skunk.

Whether your bike is as bad as the one in the video or if you just need to give it a good detail, you need to remove the body parts. I like using Simple Green or Purple Power as a cleaner to remove the dirt, grease and road grime. I use a toothbrush and baby bottle brushes for the nooks and crannys. Some spots get a wooden dowel wrapped in an old teeshirt. Once the majority of the filth is off, follow up with soap and water. I use compressed air to dry it out. Then detail. Car wax on the painted stuff, aluminum polish, and S100 Engine Brightner for the black plastic, wire looms and cables.

I hate rain!! I went on a road trip last May with Tom_MLC and Jadesystem, and we got caught in a downpour. Mud everywhere! This is what mine looked like once we got home:

And this is after a good clean-up:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

well you have a better bike to clean, mine is a tad rusty here and the black paint id flaking off the motor, I am actually afraid that washing it will make it look worse

Comment

I use S100 spray cleaner. Just spray it all over and wash it off with a low pressure hose (ie: no nozzles). Let it dry completely in the sun before trying to start it.

Comment

anybody paint stuff on their bike (motor, frame etc) with it all together? Bad idea?

Comment

I just gave mine a nice wash after riding in the Brown County fun. I just used hose with no nozzle, car wash, bucket and a NEW toilet brush. It's clean enough for me. Remember to lube the chain after a rain ride or wash.

I did read where someone taped everything up and painted thier engine in place. It's doable, just alot of prep and taping.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Anyone try this stuff called Oil Eater?

It did an amazing job on the trans and bell housing for my mustang..
                      I haven't tried it on the bikes yet..

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
                        well you have a better bike to clean, mine is a tad rusty here and the black paint id flaking off the motor, I am actually afraid that washing it will make it look worse
                        Mine didn't always look that good......

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

That looks similar to my skunk... I painted the frame with the engine still in it... Everything else I painted removed from the bike (apart from the stator cover, I masked & sprayed that on the bike).

Nessism has sprayed an engine whilst it was still in the frame - looked good too!

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X