No announcement yet.

Latest pix of 83 Kat resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey dog nice ride. Looks fast sitting still...

Comment

The oil cover plate is glass blasted! When I finished it I thought it looked great and didn't want to paint it black like the rest of the motor.
      It also comes standard with an oil cooler of which I mounted today, I just need to get the lines hooked up.
      The wiring is nearly done, just a few wires of which I can't locate the female connections, but will prevail with that.
      The biggest nightmare with this resto was the damn ffffffff carbs, when I stripped them down and separated them the choke plungers were COMPLETELY SEIZED inside and refused to come out, after many, mant attempts to get the plungers out I ended up drilling them out with extreme care not to mark the inside of the aluminum carb bodies.
      Once out I carefully glass blasted them at 60lbs as not to damage the internals, which took forever, but they have turned out MINT (will post pix soon of them)
      The paintwork was done at BMW (the same place my Yamaha RZ350 was done) and sure looks great.
      The one thing that ****es me off, There's approx $2400 in parts (not including labor) and when it's done it will be very, very close to showroom condition, I spent double that on my 81 GS1000 and countless hrs doing every screw/bolt including full strip down of motor and yet I can't sell it! if it was a kawasaki it would have sold the 1st week!
      Anyway, just venting!!!!
      Will post pix up this week of the progress......
      Thanks for the kind words of my work, it means a lot to me......
      Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by sachsaca View Post
        Why come when I look at the oil filter cover I feel like someone is flipping me the bird two times, Oh stupid me, I'm a cop, duh.
        Excellent word there sir, love the detail, and attention wish I had the time and resources to do the same. It should be outstanding can't wait to see the finished product.
        That makes two of us! (BRPD) I love your part of the country! I go to Deals Gap 3 times a year......

Comment

Originally posted by motocycle shawn View Post
          THAT LOOK REALLY GOOD MAN. AND DID YOU BUY OR MAKE THE OIL COOLER PLATE ON THE MOTOR? VERY NICE JOB ON YOUR BIKE KEEP UP THE WORK AND KEEP THE PHOTOS COMING.
          THANKS! I use fine glass bead in my blaster which brings the metal/alloy back to original if not better! wait till I post pix of the carbs! they are outstanding!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Feeler,
                  That thing looks fabulous! Looking forward to seeing this one complete. I like the black engine, great job.

Comment

Looks like you bead blasted the carbs. How are you treating the steel parts to keep them from rusting?
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Looks like you bead blasted the carbs. How are you treating the steel parts to keep them from rusting?
                      Buff them, once shined, a nice coat of wiped engine oil.

Comment

excellence... did you do use a clearcoat or anything to protect those carbs from oxidizing?

Also, what paint did you use on the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
                          excellence... did you do use a clearcoat or anything to protect those carbs from oxidizing?

Also, what paint did you use on the frame?
                          I'm down in Louisiana so there's not much cold weather like up North, the owner will only take it out in sunny weather so oxidizing should'nt be an issue, I did the same with my GS1000 and all I did was spray some WD40 on them and that was 3 years ago and they still look great.
                          Frame not painted, powdercoated a light gray.

Comment

Great work, looks fantastic!
                            The black engine with polished cases/carbs looks very sharp, more visually interesting (IMHO) than a completely blacked out or completely silver '82 one. Gonna throw some K&N pods & a sweet 4x1 pipe on it, or keep it completely stock?

Tony.
                            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                              Great work, looks fantastic!
                              The black engine with polished cases/carbs looks very sharp, more visually interesting (IMHO) than a completely blacked out or completely silver '82 one. Gonna throw some K&N pods & a sweet 4x1 pipe on it, or keep it completely stock?

Tony.
                              Standard airbox is going back on, I got exhaust (Vance & Hines) heat resistant black powdercoat but he didn't like it, so he's going for a chrome 4-1 instead.

Just had to mention this!! I saw an old friend this evening who has a late 90's GS1100 (like the Katana) I asked him where it is? he advised "that piece of crap! "come pick it up for free!!!!!!!"
                              Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! there's the next project!!!!!

Comment

Feeler,

Great Job!!! No one has a clue how much time can be spent on these especially if you do all the nust and bolts. Looks Awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Working...
                                X