New Mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mufflers

After cutting out as much of the bends possible, this is where I've ended up with a set of pipes made for a GSXR1000. Mot sure I like it, thinking of cutting in the bend and reducing the angle. What do you think? Ray

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Personally, im not diggin it either. It looks just like what it is. A modern pipe on an otherwise classic piece of roadracing warfare. Just IMO fights against the overall look of that classic machine...

Comment

D&D cans rock, they make an awesome noise.

They could look good on your bike too, they just need to level off somewhat. Way too much angle going on there, they would look better if they exited just underneath the indicators. Try to get the end of the "snout" level in the vertical axis. (just my opinion, but they could be very cool )

How does it run? I've used D&D cans 3 times on 2 blades and a zx9r, i had to pi** about and have the carbs dyno'd on both blades but the zx9 was ok with it, worth it in the end though!

Comment

If we're voting, I'd try to stay with the original look of such a nice vintage machine. I certainly don't mind the appearance of the new cans though. Drop them back down to match the original angle and they'll look a whole lot better.

Comment

You all seem to be seeing things like I am on the angle, I think I'll run it this way for a bit, while I sort out the tuning etc. then cut the 45 degree or so bend and splice a bit into it to drop them a bunch. I have a spare set of originals, but they are not even close to the condition I want on this bike. Still a ways to go before she's back on the street, but getting closer all the time. If I can figure it out I'll put a recording of it running in the shop, on here. Thanks, Ray
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

If that's a slip on can you could take it off, pack the tube full of sand (seal it) & straighten that bend out to get where you want. The sand will stop the tube collapsing.

I agree they need to come somewhere closer to stock position

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              If that's a slip on can you could take it off, pack the tube full of sand (seal it) & straighten that bend out to get where you want. The sand will stop the tube collapsing.

I agree they need to come somewhere closer to stock position

Dan

That's a good idea Dan, but I wonder if I could handle that or maybe be better off taking it to custom exhaust guy. Ray
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Should be a fairly simple job for an exhaust guy - you'd need to know the angles & confirm they were the same...

It would be cheaper to do it yourself & also give you the option to "tweak" to fit.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Cut the pipe at the bend, then test fit the exhaust at a much lower angle with the end of the cannister near the rear brake. Then you can figure out the next cut for the pipe and then weld it back together and fit a hanger.

They look like diesel stacks. Not a good look.

Comment

Hope this works this time. Ray

1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Those D&D's sure sound nice, !

I'd have to get that angle dropped a fair bit though, it'll be like a water fountain the first time you fire it up after a jetwash, lol.

Sweet bike man, that thing is gorgeous. Gawd i want to S my E............

Comment

Yes, they do sound good, not too loud, but nicer than stock rusted ones. My thought has been verified by several folks here, the angle is too great. Thanks all. Ray

Originally posted by yaddy View Post
                        Those D&D's sure sound nice, !

I'd have to get that angle dropped a fair bit though, it'll be like a water fountain the first time you fire it up after a jetwash, lol.

Sweet bike man, that thing is gorgeous. Gawd i want to S my E............
                        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Ghostgs1,
                          Can say I like the angle, but they sound great. That what I would like to have on my 79E, not sure if I want to do the header thing. Now you have me thinking.

Comment

Sure you can like it. I just wanted a little feedback and decided I would like them a little lower. They've already been cut to an angle that gives me good access to the rear wheel and still have rear pegs. Now to get them welded up and I'll have nice stereo sound. Thanks, Ray

Originally posted by Roadrash View Post
                            Ghostgs1,
                            Can say I like the angle, but they sound great. That what I would like to have on my 79E, not sure if I want to do the header thing. Now you have me thinking.
                            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Hey Ray,

I have the original GS1000E pipes that I removed from mine 25 years ago. They have been stored inside ever since look good and are in excellent shape considering the age. I am pretty certain Suzuki used the same set of pipes on the US GS1000E & S models.

PM if interested.

Steve
                              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Working...
                              X