1985 Suzuki GS700EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric,

I must have been busy doing my GSXR conversion last summer as I remember this thread but not all the details. Great meticulous work. Makes me wish I knew something about doing machine work.

You even pulled that rabbit out of a hat getting the paint done. Nice booth .

Jim

Comment

Any chance you can weigh it now that it's done? Seems like a lot of weight has been added. I weighed mine very roughly at around 440. Not too bad seeing as though the stock weight was around 500.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
        Any chance you can weigh it now that it's done? Seems like a lot of weight has been added. I weighed mine very roughly at around 440. Not too bad seeing as though the stock weight was around 500.
        With the new pipe and pods I would think it's somewhere close to 30 lbs lighter. I've probably shave 50 lbs off of my 700.

Comment

Just weighed mine again actually, 419lbs. I don't wanna know how much the PO's bike weighs. Although I'd probably take his tuned engine over mine.

Comment

I'm hoping to get to see this bike in person soon. What a fantastic build!

Comment

I just picked up on this thread today. WOW!!!! I am very impressed!
              Thank you very much for putting this build up for us to see and learn from.

You have given me several ideas for my 85 GS1150 and I have winter ahead to get things done. Thanks again.

Comment

...Wow!...

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Eric,

I must have been busy doing my GSXR conversion last summer as I remember this thread but not all the details. Great meticulous work. Makes me wish I knew something about doing machine work.

You even pulled that rabbit out of a hat getting the paint done. Nice booth .

Jim

Back from the bottom of the pile?

Thanks Jim. One thing about that paint job, it was the hardest I have ever worked at something that I had no clue how to perform. lol

This winter I need to cut and buff it though. Slight orange peel in some spots.

Curly,
                  As far as the weight, not sure . Very few things were added. Like Billy mentions, the stock exhaust was a big weight loss. The vortex clip-ons have to weigh less than the stock bars, added the aluminum fork brace, but ditched the anti-dives. Rear wheel picked up some weight. The rear-sets I would say equal between the stock pegs. Sure there is alot that can be removed to make it lighter, but I didn't want to rob the full looks of a modified stock bike.

Joe,
                  We need meet up sometime. I received a PM from a new member in Richardson who has a Red GS700ES looking to restore it.

DMorris,

Thanks. I hope it gives inspiration and ideas to those into rebuilding these bikes. All I did was read through all the information here on The GSR as I was doing the build to come up with all the details, then put a few twists in myself. Took lots of pictures, because I read somewhere that you all like pictures, and finally pushed it though to finish. It was an addiction, an obsession at times, and yes even went through being burned out a few times as well.

Thanks Y'all.

Eric

Comment

Most definitely while the second riding season is here.....who is the new member? maybe we could meet at his place if it is alright with him..
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2010, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                      Most definitely while the second riding season is here.....who is the new member? maybe we could meet at his place if it is alright with him..
                      It has been really good riding weather ,50-60F in the mornings, and 70-80F in the heat of the day.

The members name is "Khyber." I have sent him a PM.

E

Comment

OUtstanding craftsmanship.

I wish I had the acess to tools and a larger workshop.

Fine work, and a great build. My hat is off to you.

Comment

Originally posted by laserred97gt View Post
                          OUtstanding craftsmanship.

I wish I had the acess to tools and a larger workshop.

Fine work, and a great build. My hat is off to you.
                          Thanks.

While I do get a chance at doing things in a machine shop ever so often, not mine, but I wish. Truth be told I actually did most of the work out of a one car garage with not a lot of room to move around, and with most of the tools scattered on the floor under the bike or in cardboard/battery boxes. One metric and one standard, and a 5 gallon ice chest as a work bench.

Wifey didn't complain too much with rebuilding carbs or doing the wiring harness on the nook table.

E

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                            Thanks.
                            I work out of a one car garage as well, and have built my 500hp Mustang in there, right now she's sitting outside while I put a new engine in my GS750.

I have so much stuff in there though that it makes it hard to be efficient. Oh well. Good things come to those who wait.

I used to live in an apartment, and I kept my toolbox in the closet in my bedroom. My wife wasnt happy when I cleaned the carbs in there (and accidentally spilled mineral spirits...oops) or cleaned my guns in there. She is VERY happy for me to have a garage.

I am lucky to have a lot of tools. But it looks like you do just fine with what you have.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Simply amazing work my friend and doubly so from your apparent lack of a good workspace. Your attention to detail is phenomenal, like many others I wish I could produce something that clean and tight.

I like the "budget be damned" attitude but wonder how you got away with it. My "boss" would have shown me the door early on in that project. I'm contemplating a new winter project myself but am a tad afraid of bringing it up as my son's wedding is coming up next year and I know she won't take kindly to me spending cash (even my own). Women are funny that way.

So what are you going to do next?

Cheers,
                              spyug

Comment

Hah! I am not alone in my thinking!.....so whats next Eric?

Comment

Working...
                                X