X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    I would at least loctite them Joe...

Dan
    Yeah, I dabbed a little on each one..Dan any word on the fork braces?

Thanks man.

Joe

Comment

Yea, Dan....fork braces!

Naw, I seen the thread a day too late. Really don't venture too far from the tech forums. I will end up purchasing from them direct possibly, it would have been good to get in, but all is cool.

Joe, loctite would have been my recomendation as well on the sprocket. 242 blue would possibly work, but 271 red, I know would work. Might have to apply a little heat to the 271 to remove them if too much is applied, but it works. Or, just safety wire them B's and be done with it.

On the shock, the same press was used to disassmble it as was used to press the bearings in the wheels. Need a press to make it simple. The clip and ring will need to clear the dampener adjust cable, the cable just unscrews. I placed the knob on 1, then pulled it out with no problems. Didn't mess with the pre-load hose.

yaddy, first dibs if I ever decide to part with it. lol Keeping her as close to stock as possible, repainted the bucket as well in gloss black, and went with new on both the chrome rings, and even new turn signals, but the rears, went with shorties in the same style. soon to come.

Y'all, appreciate the comments, and thanks. I have nothing but compassion for those builders out there. It takes a lot of work, but the reward is worth every drop of sweat.

This will be an on going thread, so please stay tuned. Shoot, I have about spent to date about $4.5k on the details. OEM parts was a big chunk, but we will be going VM smoothbores, now the $4.5k doesn't include the V&H pipe, or the Innovate LM1/LMA3 tuning equipment that will be used to tune her out, but.....

And the more I look at the dyna ignition stuff.... lol

Yes, it is a sickness...

No, I don't have the money, just the determination. Wifey gives me crap every time the Fedex or UPS comes to the door.

I would also like to thank GSR, and all those who have paved the way. Many of the things so far were read about here in the pages, I have just been searching.

Block off plates to Progressive springs, it is all here. Might have not been this specific bike, but in general most of it pertains to any bike.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
        The swing arm was stripped of clear coat, and as Stock was anodized on this bike. Sort of makes a bit of work to polish it out, but 100 hours of sanding, mini sst wire brushing with a dremil tool and polishing it nice and sparkly.

Im likin that swingarm ..opposite of mine...

Comment

Pretty much opposite.

To tell the truth, I was about half way into polishing it out, and almost just went with powder coat. I didn't use clear coat on it. Instead I went with "Liquid Glass," and not sure how it is going to do. It works great on paints, and it says for use on aluminum. I put on 4 coats, so we'll see.

Comment

The swinger looks fantastic! I would really like to detail out my shock, you said you had the spring bead blasted?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              The swinger looks fantastic! I would really like to detail out my shock, you said you had the spring bead blasted?
              Yes Sir, just bead blasted. The spring off my shock was pretty scrubby looking. Painted it with a rattle can to get by for now. Sort of looking for a good replacement, just not real hard at the moment.

Comment

Here are a few peeks.

I am waiting for a few things from BB.

Been working on the Seadoo Sportster for my Dad, which hauls now.

So hot here, whew! the water is where the smart people go.

But, no, here are a few peeks.

I was hopeing for "Bamb" "Pow" ... but anyways....

Comment

Going to take some time on polishing the covers now. Adjust valves, new clutch, and ignition/stator possibly.

Nerf balls are good.

Chain will be set-up to accept the counter sprocket 12t to 15t, I think..

I think I can squeze it, just need to measure. If not, it will be 13t to 15t.

Comment

I know! 33mm VMs might be on the heavy side.

Just something to work with at the moment. Would like some 29s, but will see what the 33s will do. Slow roll possibly. Don't really expect instant power from the lack of velocity. Shoot!, may need them when I decide to go 1100...

More of the Nerf balls. They work great.

Comment

One thing no one else has commented on but you might have clearance issues with a 12 tooth front sprocket. I don't think it will clear the swingarm. Have you tried stringing a chain yet? You may want to do that soon so if you have to order a bigger front sprocket, it won't be holding you up. Ray.

Comment

A few things on the brakes.

Rear Master and Front T.

For the rear signals, some shorties. Would have done the same for the front, but the headlight is pretty big. Wanted to have some distinction between the headlight and signals as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                          well, the bike is a ’85 gs700ef (california version) from what i can tell given the gas tank, and labeling inside the left frame cover. Here are a few pictures of the bike before. She is in decent shape, but in need of a major makeover. I’m thinking about switching to the red original graphics, but have not fully decided yet.

do the bars touch the tank???

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            One thing no one else has commented on but you might have clearance issues with a 12 tooth front sprocket. I don't think it will clear the swingarm. Have you tried stringing a chain yet? You may want to do that soon so if you have to order a bigger front sprocket, it won't be holding you up. Ray.
                            With the 45t rear it did dig into the buffer pretty hard with the 12t counter I believe. The buffer off the bike was original, and it had some deep grooves, although set up for the longest was 13t/43t.

Not much of a radius change with the 47t rear. I'll be looking at this closely. The 47t is very close with the chain case on the swingarm.

Still need to string the chain up.

If not, the 12t is not that much in cost, but would be fun with a 47t rear.

It will most likely run out the chain quickly though if ran for a good duration given the radius, but it would still be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                              do the bars touch the tank???

In the before pics the clip-ons were more angled bars. The new Vortex clip-ons have much less of an angle.

But, yes the ones on the bike before were real close, enough to ping the tank if not careful, as seen because I didn't open up the bars. It would clear if adjusted correctly.

The Vortex clip-ons have good clearance, and feel comfortable.

I'm getting older..too................

Comment

Looking good, I like the rear sprocket. What are you doing with the seat?

Comment

Working...
                                X