1985 Suzuki GS700EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
    Looking good, I like the rear sprocket. What are you doing with the seat?
    Thanks Joe.

The seat? I printed a picture of yours, and handed it over to the wifey.

I like the Sargents look, but may do something a little different, new foam possibly, but not too dramatic.

Comment

Inch by inch, it moves forward. Still lots of polishing to do, gauges to rebuild, but here is the latest progress.

Getting the rear built up.

New tail light lens, screws/gaskets, cushions.

Top View.

Comment

Great stuff, I see you went with the Sport Demons. I ordered a set of tires for each bike so I went the budget route on the 700 and the 1100 got the Pirellis.

I have a fork seal leak and will probably tear them down this week, any advice? Iv'e never done it. I have the seals.

Comment

Here is looking back on the tail. There was a bracket that retained the canisters for the gas tank vent. Removing it should allow for a good deal of room in the trunk. The bracket did support the plastic in the rear, so a few flat brackets are on the "to-do-list" now. Something to secure a good tool kit anyways.

All the cushions and hardware in the electrical mid-section of the bike were replaced.

Here is a side view, in the space where the stock airbox was there is a bracket on the frame that the box attached. The plan for this area will be the location of the Innovate LMA3. Need to find a good plastic box still, and it should allow for good access. I thought about the trunk, but linited access, and lots of wires back and forth didn't seem too logical.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            Great stuff, I see you went with the Sport Demons. I ordered a set of tires for each bike so I went the budget route on the 700 and the 1100 got the Pirellis.

I have a fork seal leak and will probably tear them down this week, any advice? Iv'e never done it. I have the seals.
            The Pirellis were not too bad, if compared to the radials that are mounted on bikes these days.

On the forks, if you do a full rebuild, be careful with the valves down in the bottom of the legs. They are easy to jack up if not careful.

Comment

The mid section needs a lot of work still.

Dyna Coils. This is going to be tricky on the clearance between the coils and valve cover. At the moment they are just mocked up. Quiet a bit larger than the OEMs.

New cushions on the gauge mounts, and in the process of rebuilding the gauges. The weak needles on the fuel and temp are crumbling. Not sure on the solution just yet. Also thinking of going with a billet dash of some sort. The plastic one is in okay shape, still debating on that one also.

Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

On the ignition, figure will just see what this one does. Should be fine.

Head light attached. It will be coming on and off after the wiring harness gets a good flogging though, and the bar controls are fixed in place.

A little more of an overall view from the front.

Comment

wow.

I'm now a follower too.

Comment

lookin great!!
                    love the bars, and i see you used the original tripple clamp, did you move the forks up farther?? i figured the vortex clip ons would have went on under the upper tripple clamp, since you got rid of the air/ anti dive device

whats the biggest tire i can stuff in mine??? 130 or 140??

Comment

Thanks Macmatic, lots more to come.

cyclefvr2, thanks.

I have never had the OEM bars, so not sure on the measure height. But given the OEM bars mount up top, sort of clip-ons with risers basically. There are three bolt holes in the top clamp, the two closest to the bar clamps hosted a bolt for each side on the OEM bars I'm pretty sure, and the center bolt to bolt the plastic cover on. My guess is it is pretty close to the stock height.

You asked,

"whats the biggest tire i can stuff in mine??? 130 or 140?? "

A 700E or 83' 750E, S... Pretty sure at least the 83' 750s are the same.

I went with a 130, I know it works with no problem, but a 140 might be pushing it without modifications. The brake torque arm is the issue on clearance, and also it might require removing the chain case as well.

Really it comes down to 10mm in width, the 130 will perform the same. Not much difference.

Eric
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

thanks i was thinking a 130 would fit but not positive while turning, (if it would rub the torq arm)

the bars stock on mine look like the 700s, and there way up high above the gascap,and kinda hurt my elbows from locking out to far, im thinkin of changing but worried about the front master cylinder 2! , not sure if it will fit in the cowl, on my ed,

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                          lookin great!!
                          love the bars, and i see you used the original tripple clamp, did you move the forks up farther?? i figured the vortex clip ons would have went on under the upper tripple clamp, since you got rid of the air/ anti dive device

whats the biggest tire i can stuff in mine??? 130 or 140??

I run a 130/90/17 on my 700, it just clears the brake stay , I dont believe a 140 would work.

Comment

I've run larger tires on my 1100 and didn't like the feel of them. Larger tires on the stock rim distort the tires profile and make the bike feel touchy in the straights and like it's falling into corners.

I'm not saying it's going to feel that way to you, but I'll never go larger than the recommended tire/wheel combo again. If looks are that important upgrade to radials, then you can fit some real meat.

Comment

83750ES I have has 140 80 17 on rear & 120 80 16 on front. I've only ridden it at speeds up to 40mph & not for long (old tyres too) but seems ok. One of the manual I have lists that as an alternative.

Previous owner squashed the torque tube about 1/4" to fit the 140.

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have always just used a general rule of "up one size" on tires.

If a rim is not wide enough like reddirtrider mentioned the distortion, also called "crowning," is very dangerous at higher speeds. Most shops around here will not even mount tires that are too wide.

On my 700 it has a 130 rear 110 front, and have run this for years with no issues. A 140 and 120 might be okay if there is clearance. I like the look of the wider tires, but feel it would be better doing a front and rear conversion in regards to safety on the 700.
                                Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2009, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X