1985 Suzuki GS700EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kirkn View Post
    seat, shmeet. I'd have been sitting on a couple folded up towels and gone RIDING!!

Looks fantastic! Great job!

Kirk

Funny story: Back when I first bought my now departed (sold, not wrecked) GPz 750, the tank was a terrible mess with rust holes etc... My buddy Tim had the bright idea to snag the tank off his old 3 wheeler so we bungeed it on and went joyriding. Got kind of sketchy at 80 mph plus - the tank would lift and try to pull out of the bungees! And this on sacked forks!

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      They usually set up on RR 337 between Vanderpool and Leakey.

This is one of their shots.

Man that road looks like a real nice twisty road looking a Google maps. Nice scenery. 39 from Hunt to Bowman looks like a nice twisty road as well.

We need to do this once I get this machine trip worthy.

E

Comment

As much as I wanted to ride with a couch cushion, figured I’ve waited this long so soon enough.

After Wifey went through 2 versions of making a seat cover to fit the added foam to the rear passenger area of the seat it just didn’t look right. So there was a change in plans.

Here is the cover over the seat before fitment. I was unable to locate any “CarbonFX” material, so decided to do the seat area with a mat black then outlined with gloss black, and the passenger section in red.

The seams have been reinforced underside.

Added some plastic sheeting between the cover and foam. It can sort of be seen, and will be trimmed after the cover is secured to the pan.

Here is where we were checking the gap at the tail. It can’t be pulled tight or there will be a major gap. Old foam, shrinkage possibly, but to help avoid this a little bit of foam will be added to the end of the seat to close the gap.

Here is how it sat this morning, close but still working the tail area. Should be this evening to get it all closed up.

Pics of the bike w/seat soon to come.

E

Comment

Comment

Here’s a few follow up pictures of the seat. Sort of got carried away with the staples.

Stull thinking about pulling the bracket and plating it. It will not be seen really so no rush at the moment. All new rubber cushions on the pan.

Here is a picture of how it mates up with the tank.

And how it mates up with the tail section.

E

Comment

Then here we goes. Over all from the Right side.

A few from the Left side.

Not sure what I'm going to do on the dash. I have a plastic cover on the way, and the old one I cut up to match to the clip-ons, but it still didn't sit right.

Side shot of the engine.

LM1 mounted in a tank bag.

I took it on a shake down ride, and it was running between 12.5:1 and 11:1 on the AFR. No dead spots, and no popping was observed. I'll tweak it a little this comming weekend to lean it a tad to see what happens. Starting at lowering the needle one notch to see how it accepts it.

Now begins the fun part. Tuning. I'll post up the charts as I do changes.

E

Comment

Holy Chit man!
                That is absoluteley stunning! I don't think I've seen a prettier 700 ever.
                Very very well done, I applaud you for showing us all how its done!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                  Holy Chit man!
                  That is absoluteley stunning! I don't think I've seen a prettier 700 ever.
                  Very very well done, I applaud you for showing us all how its done!

Thanks Smoki.

I just wish there wasn't a chance of rain for the next day or two.

Your project is coming along too, I see. Now that you are over that top end assembly just need to keep at it.

E

Comment

Just plain awesome Eric....You are an artist.

Best I have ever seen!

Comment

Are those stock clip-ons?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                        Are those stock clip-ons?

Thanks Joe.

The credit goes to the Wifey on the seat, she did an A #1 job. She went from saying she will never do another seat, too saying we need to find a nother project bike to fix up an sell. lol

The clip-ons are Vortex.

I have them out a bit. With the clip-ons and rearsets it really shifts the weight forward. Makes the front end pretty sensitive at low speed, more so than I remembered.

E

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post
                          Thanks Joe.

The credit goes to the Wifey on the seat, she did an A #1 job. She went from saying she will never do another seat, too saying we need to find a nother project bike to fix up an sell. lol

The clip-ons are Vortex.

I have them out a bit. With the clip-ons and rearsets it really shifts the weight forward. Makes the front end pretty sensitive at low speed, more so than I remembered.

E
                          Its always a labor of luv! but when its done its all worth it!

I really like the look of those, did the E have the same stock bars as the ES?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            Its always a labor of luv! but when its done its all worth it!

I really like the look of those, did the E have the same stock bars as the ES?
                            That's for sure.

From pics they look like the same bars were used on the E and ES. When I bought the bike years ago it already had aftermarket clip-ons, but they were more at a 30 degree angle. The Vortex are around 15 degree, I think. They feel better than the others. Only thing that gets tricky is space for some master cylinders. It can be tight fitting with conventional masters with the reservior, but the remote reservior masters will solve that issue.

E

Comment

The E bars have taller risers. It's a fairly substantial difference. A few guys with ES models at least contemplated using E risers. I'm not sure if anyone ever did it. The 1150 models used the same sets of bars and risers.

Comment

Billy is correct. Looks like the angle of the bars are more on the ES as well looking at the brochure off Suzuki Cycles.

On the Vortex clip-ons the angle is 7°.

Vortex Racing offers a huge selection of high-quality motorcycle parts and accessories. Take your motorcycle racing to the next level!

Sorry didn't do my homework while I was replying on the I-Phone last night.

E
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2010, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X