Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in an 850 resto? Nothing custom but paint!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone interested in an 850 resto? Nothing custom but paint!

My 149$ garage sale bike quickly turned in to much much more. Who wants pix? lol

Originally posted by fat_sac View Post
    My 149$ garage sale bike quickly turned in to much much more. Who wants pix? lol
    Lets see it....Pics are GOOD

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
        Hot linked from another forum? lol It didn't work.

Comment

What about an 850 that looked like this? haha

Comment

Gotta love a digital paint booth right? Here's the real pix. It was in pretty rough shape when I picked it up. Masters were all frozen, lines were leaking, rust everywhere. Lights all worked tho, and carbs worked with a cleaning. Only problem I had taking it apart were the same bolts that break on all these engines. The stupid exhaust bolts in the head twisted apart. Other than that, it was a great find and 100% complete down to the tool bag. So, I decided not to but, chop, bend, weld, or add/delete anything from the bike. It will remain 100% original minus paint and braided brake lines. Enjoy the resto.

http://picasaweb.google.com/greenmansoup/850Build# < Picasa web album

Comment

As it sits this morning.

Comment

i liked the russell mitchell's tattoos paint job in the original drawing...or are you going with the black???

Comment

Originally posted by OhioEric View Post
                  i liked the russell mitchell's tattoos paint job in the original drawing...or are you going with the black???
                  No, the black is the paint it came with. I'm painting all that next. Right now I have a box of odd and en parts getting ready for black to match the motor. Then its time to hit the tank and fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by fat_sac View Post
                    What about an 850 that looked like this? haha

what kind of program was used to come up with the paint scheme? I'd like to do a virtual paintjob on my 550EF project with the GSXR750 fairings and tail........I can weld and build anything with my hands but I can't seem to figure out this thing I'm punching keys on!

Comment

I did it all in Photochop. Its easy as pie if you single out every section as a layer first. Then you can add color or graphics to each piece Then use each piece as a mask to delete bleed overs so the color or graphics match each piece. The one I put up has 29 layers. Motor, air cleaner cover, fork tube, fender, motor, frame, and such.

Comment

Finally made some headway on the custom paint project. Motor is back in, frame is painted, plastics are painted and awaiting artwork, and tank has had rust holes repaired and is stripped to bare metal awaiting bondo and primer. Pix to follow!

Comment

Pix as promised.

All new bolts and nuts everywhere that was previously exposed. So, if the head had rust on it its new and shiny now. Paint is white 1k grit wet sanded to accept the hand painting for the graphics. Next post will have pix of progress made on that. Tank isn't painted white yet. I was still in the process of fixing the rust holes when I decided to break for beer. I haven't really gotten anything done since I had that beer lol. Except drinking more beer and slightly rearranging the garage.

Comment

Just a start. All the little 'tattoo' pieces will be brought together with common artwork in the background. These 2 I'm using Japanese style smoke. Only gonna be 2 colors outlined in black. The gun and flower are not finished either. I'm just tired for now. I'm pretty sure I've decided on clearing over the artwork with matte clear. Tasco has a shopline paint that is only about 90$ a gallon that dries flat finish.

Comment

Newest update. Slowly making progress. Actually its going quicker than I expected. Since I'm out of work and all.

Comment

Working...
                              X