A GS1000s mod dilema...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A GS1000s mod dilema...

Ha ha, beergood was right the madness just continues, once you have started there is no stopping...

As some have you may have noticed I have started a little '77 750 cafe project. I say little cause at this stage I have no big plans for stripping it down to bare bones and starting from ground up as say yaddy has done, and I don't think it is worth putting in an alloy swing arm and more modern forks as it is only a 750. If I was going to do something that big I would want a bigger bike, like a 1000cc.

So I have been keeping my eye on the local buy sell and exchange website for a GS1000. Ironically, and don't ask me why there are more GS1000's for sale in Denmark than ebay.com and .co.uk put together. But they are all really mint and waaaay to expensive for my non-existent budget, I am looking for a project after all and am just trying to get a feeling for the market. Then this popped up...

I have just bought it for a fraction more than I paid for my 750. It has the original fairing, the header is rusty, the rear braked is dead and and it needs a new tyre and a loving hand all over. Unfortunately a mechanic cheated the PO out of the red rear shocks that sit on Nessism's GS and replaced them with ****tier ones, and the seat has duct tape all over it.

So we come to my dillema. The bike was CHEAP!! and I bought it to modify, a bit like the two japanese examples below...

But it took me about 2 minutes of searching GSR to find I would probably be lynched for doing it to a Wes Cooley replica. I can understand the crime I would be commiting, and how much i would devalue the bike and what not, but who said I would ever sell it again? I love the paint job, and would never touch that, but I am a fan of big fat rear tyres, and 130 just doesn't cut it there. I am fan of originality, but am a little stuck here...

STick a GS1100 Swinger on it, then get ahold of an 1150 3.5" rear wheel...can squeeze a 150 on there cake...MIGHT pinch a 160 on there too...I dunno.

Comment

I used to own an "S", wish I still did, but I wouldn't worry about modding it. They aren't THAT rare, and IMO, as they come from the factory they aren't all that performancewise. They are just a stock GS1000 with a paint job and a fairing when you get right down to it. They don't even come with a 4 into 1 exhaust. That red bike in your photo is freaking GORGEOUS, I love the look of those GP racer bikes, and in truth it looks a hell of a lot more like what Wes Cooley's REAL bike.

Question for those who know, where the hell have they hidden all the electrics on that thing? The Red one.

Comment

I guess one of the theories is, if you are going to modify it why not start with the standard version. Leave the real Cooleys to be restored to stock.
        I have a Clone that stared out as a '78 GS1000C? the standard version.
        Hey, it is your bike. Do anything you want.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'd say mod away. But, in such a way that you could turn it back to original if you ever wanted to.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
            I used to own an "S", wish I still did, but I wouldn't worry about modding it. They aren't THAT rare, and IMO, as they come from the factory they aren't all that performancewise. They are just a stock GS1000 with a paint job and a fairing when you get right down to it. They don't even come with a 4 into 1 exhaust. That red bike in your photo is freaking GORGEOUS, I love the look of those GP racer bikes, and in truth it looks a hell of a lot more like what Wes Cooley's REAL bike.

Question for those who know, where the hell have they hidden all the electrics on that thing? The Red one.
            I have been googling Wes and I also found this:

I like the thinned out seat too. It is funny, it has a 'cafe' style seat, but the rear end still is really long. I would also want to keep the original side covers. I guess I will have to find my own middle ground. When I sat on the bike for the first time I couldn't help but think of what a sofa it was like to sit on. I think what I find hard about accepting just leaving bikes completely stock is that thought of being able to do it better. That in the end you have created something that is more beautiful, faster and better riding than what you started with.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            STick a GS1100 Swinger on it, then get ahold of an 1150 3.5" rear wheel...can squeeze a 150 on there cake...MIGHT pinch a 160 on there too...I dunno.
            Which years am I looking at there? Is it an idea to change out the front end too? I have been looking at salty monk brake upgrades, but with a new front end and new wheel it would also mean new brakes

So many projects and so little time!! (and even less money, the wife doesn't know about the 2nd bike and it will be a while before she does)

Comment

I love, love, love that seat. I might have to see what I can do about fabricating a pan for a seat like that one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaver View Post
                I have been googling Wes and I also found this:

I like the thinned out seat too. It is funny, it has a 'cafe' style seat, but the rear end still is really long. I would also want to keep the original side covers. I guess I will have to find my own middle ground. When I sat on the bike for the first time I couldn't help but think of what a sofa it was like to sit on. I think what I find hard about accepting just leaving bikes completely stock is that thought of being able to do it better. That in the end you have created something that is more beautiful, faster and better riding than what you started with.

Which years am I looking at there? Is it an idea to change out the front end too? I have been looking at salty monk brake upgrades, but with a new front end and new wheel it would also mean new brakes

So many projects and so little time!! (and even less money, the wife doesn't know about the 2nd bike and it will be a while before she does)
                THAT pic is THE Wes Cooley bike. Not a remake. You need the 85 and on 1150 wheel i think, the year before was only 3.0"

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  THAT pic is THE Wes Cooley bike. Not a remake. You need the 85 and on 1150 wheel i think, the year before was only 3.0"
                  What about the GS1100 rear swingarm?

Comment

Uhm, they're all the same bro. 80-83 1100s all had the same swinger.

Comment

I say mod away if that's what you want, but it might be a good idea to avoid changes that can’t be reversed.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would agree with that. And fortunately, the swinger, 1150 wheel, and using a GSXR front end is completely reverseable

Comment

Excellent thanks for the tips, now I have something to keep me occupied through the winter

Comment

I have an 80 S.
                            It has a 1100 swingarm, running a 130 tire.
                            A 150 will fit, with the wider rim.

The "thin" seat I have was made by ZERO.
                            I've never been able to find another ZERO seat.

Mod it, it is your bike, but please don't do a hack job,please?

Try Hagon for rear shocks. I replaced the rear shock on my Triumph with one, very nice setup and reasonable prices.
                            Last edited by KGB; 06-25-2009, 05:43 PM.
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Go for it. Mine's got an 1100 swinger, 4-1 pipe, Giuliari seat and Yosh paint job.

............'Cos I wanted it that way
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X