wiring tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring tips

Any of you guys have tips on making the bike look clean as far as the wiring goes? When I got the bike it looked like a rats nest. I've switched to a vapor tach which removed quite a bit of wiring. Even with all that gone I couldn't tell the difference between my bike and some knotted up Christmas lights.

Hmm... leave your sidecovers on?

Comment

Lots of options...

If still available for your model a brand new wiring harness is under $200, OR you can strip off all the non-essentials, and make your own bare bones harness, OR you can use the oem as a template and wire a full harness yourself.

Comment

There are a lot of good used GS wiring harnesses available on FleaBay. Just have to be familiar with your model's original harness and know what your bidding on. Then it's just a matter of removing the rat's nest and fried R&R sections with the same section from the donor harness. Clean the exterior wires by spraying Gumout into a clean rag and running the section of wire throught it. Solder the wire connections, heat shrink etc and it look pretty darn good.
        Last edited by srsupertrap; 07-13-2009, 09:55 PM.
        1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
        Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll check into those ideas. Any ideas for maybe someone who doesn't have a factory light bucket (like me). Up front is where the biggest mess is because my headlight bucket doesn't allow any of the wiring harness to be inside the bucket like the factory. Only the 3 wires for the head light fit inside. How many more wires would be removed if I relocated the ignition switch? I also saw someone on here with something like 1 inch black rib pvc stuff to cover the wires I think the even ran some of the cables through that. Is there a place to get some of that or something better?

Comment

You can a plastic stuff that's been cut in a spiral.It's called Spirowrap here and I know you can get it from electrical wholesalers or hardware stores over your way.Cheap as and comes in different diameters so you can wrap small numbers of wires then marry them into the main loom.If the harness you have hasn't been butchered it should be good.Just give it a clean and wrap it up. You can do it with the loom still in the bike if you want to.It's fiddley , but you can do it.I cut all those "bullet" connectors off ( I hate them with a passion ) and re-crimp spade type connectors , especially your stator wires.Good luck.Wiring on these old girls CAN be tidied up and made bullet proof.Bit of mucking around but well worth the effort down the track. Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
              You can a plastic stuff that's been cut in a spiral.It's called Spirowrap here and I know you can get it from electrical wholesalers or hardware stores over your way.Cheap as and comes in different diameters so you can wrap small numbers of wires then marry them into the main loom.If the harness you have hasn't been butchered it should be good.Just give it a clean and wrap it up. You can do it with the loom still in the bike if you want to.It's fiddley , but you can do it.I cut all those "bullet" connectors off ( I hate them with a passion ) and re-crimp spade type connectors , especially your stator wires.Good luck.Wiring on these old girls CAN be tidied up and made bullet proof.Bit of mucking around but well worth the effort down the track. Cheers,Simon.
              Hi Simon,
              What do you clean the wiring harness with here in Oz.

Comment

I use a CRC aerosol solvent called "Contact Cleaner" . You can get it from Dick Smith type stores or electrical wholesalers (or you can pinch it from work...... if you work where I do).Just spray it on and use it to hose the crap off , and let it dry . You can just spray it onto a rag and wipe if you want.It's good stuff and will clean all manner of greases etc off all sorts of things.There's lots of similar products , but some can damage plastics severly so try a bit of whatever you use on some scrap first.If it makes any plastic or insulation go sticky , DON'T use him. Cheers,Simon.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Thanks Simon. I've got some of that stuff on the work bench. So I will clean my wiring while it is off the bike.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X