Added a Emgo cafe fairing then tried to be a smart ass$%^$^&$^$^&$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added a Emgo cafe fairing then tried to be a smart ass$%^$^&$^$^&$

Well, I received my fairing. I mocked it up, not to bad. Had to drill two holes for the windshield. I had the gauges mocked up as well (hence the wire tie in the middle)........

So I take the fairing off, and commence to mounting the gauges permanent......Looks good, all is well only had to drill a couple of holes.....

Then I get the brain fart idea of "hmmmmmmmm I think the shifter dummy light would look cool up front under the shield". So I get out the trusty dremel and start hacking away the original shift gauge cluster (not to bad)

So now I take the fairing back off so I can drill a hole to run the wires.....Instead of taking all the little windshield nuts off I drill from the bottom nice and easy.......Then WHAM!!!!!!!!

It breaks through and punches a hole in the shield that was all of 30 minutes old LOL......Ughhh Such is life I guess........Im gonna order a new shield......Well here are a couple pics...Not sure if I dig it or not.....I will give it a bit first

1)mocked up

2)Front view

3)Side view ( gonna ditch the tank, and back fender, seat)

4)Dummy light view

Oh yeah heres a good shot of the crater I blew threw the shield

Comment

Get a hole saw and make your small error into two evenly spaced "vents", the fairing will likely work better that way, as do the modern fairings on new bikes..... And it will look trick.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxvw View Post
        1)mocked up

That cockpit looks good. The only thing I don't like is the amount of unused guage range. Wonder if you could paint over the upper reaches of the speedo and tach. I dont think pods and a pipe will get you to 180 mph alone.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          That cockpit looks good. The only thing I don't like is the amount of unused guage range. Wonder if you could paint over the upper reaches of the speedo and tach. I dont think pods and a pipe will get you to 180 mph alone.
          What about the cams, head work and 836 kit LOL? ( I know.....Its still wouldnt do 180.....But she does go good )

Comment

Love the look. Wish I would have put a round headlight on my bike and bought that same fairing. I went with the Maier and it's useless for wind protection. Purely cosmetic and damned expensive at that.

Good luck mounting the next shield. Don't feel too bad. We've all done similar things. I'm resolved to accepting that I'll do that kind of thing periodically for the rest of my life. Makes you appreciate it more when something actually goes right the first time out of the gate.

Cheers.

Don

p.s. Nice bike. Very cool.

Comment

A very wise man once told me -

"Technical knowledge is directly proportionate to the amount of sh*t you've f*cked up."

Comment

I love the idea of the gear selector up there, but are you planning on putting any other kind of bracing on the fairing at all? I have the same kind on my 650 and it's pretty damn flimsy, thinking about fabbing up a support cage out of alum strips and just bracing it to my bars... i've had the bike start to sway at high speeds because the fairing contorts left and right =( Just a heads up!

Comment

Live and learn ! been there, done that

Comment

I had that same fairing on an XS750 - looked about like your bike. Worked great, but I never went the speeds I do on the 1100.
                    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Aside from the ugly ass hole in it, its a lot sturdier then I expected.....I brought it up to 115-120......Couple of wheelies here and there and its hanging tough LOL........A couple extra supports wouldnt hurt though

Comment

that fairing is pretty neat how well does it work with the wind blockage. how much was it and where did you get it i was thinking about one of these for when it gets colder out or maybe leave it on cause i do alot of highspeed commuting

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
                          that fairing is pretty neat how well does it work with the wind blockage. how much was it and where did you get it i was thinking about one of these for when it gets colder out or maybe leave it on cause i do alot of highspeed commuting

You still gotta tuck a bit, but its alot better then no fairing LOL......I bought it from a seller on ebay.....This guy sells these cheaper then anyone else....I believe it was 39.99 +10.00 shipping ........If your interested I will shoot you the sellers name......He shipped it pretty quick too.....I had it within 4-5 days from auction end

Comment

cool man i'm already tucked as it is i have cafe bars

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxvw View Post
                              Aside from the ugly ass hole in it, its a lot sturdier then I expected.....I brought it up to 115-120......Couple of wheelies here and there and its hanging tough LOL........A couple extra supports wouldnt hurt though
                              You have a real good attitude about the whole, "hole" in the fairing thing.

Yep.

Comment

Working...
                              X