Custom Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Headlight

Hi! has anyone here put a custom headlight on their gs? And if so how did you mount it and what size did you get? Pictures would be appreciated!!

I have not, but I'm sure its possible given you have the same mounting points, and the dimensions for these points are close to your stock light.

GS lights mount on the sides,so it would be easiest to find a light with side mounts. A lot of the aftermarket "chopper" lights mount from the bottom. You can do this but it will interfere with your stock signal location, and a custom mount will most likely need to be fabricated.

Here is one I was looking at for my GS1000

let us know what you find, or if your looking for something different!

good luck!

Jeff (teet)

Comment

I've been looking into trying a dual headlight set-up on mine (2 small rounds). Kits are stupid expensive and there's no out of the box solution for older GS bikes anyway, so I've been looking at alternatives like modifying fog light kits...

Boy, it looks neat in my head but sounds stupid when I write it

Comment

Some very reasonably priced headlights and kits here:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hardly custom, However, on my 81 gs1100E, I removed the stock rectangual shell, retained the hoop fork ears/ h/l mounts, and installed a 8" GS1150 shell & h/l assy. this w/donor gs 850 guages make for a package which looks OE. with the plus of a cosmeticly huge headlight. G

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Some very reasonably priced headlights and kits here:

http://www.flyncycle.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1454
            Those are way better prices than what I was seeing elsewhere... ($300+!)

Comment

Originally posted by shamer View Post
              Those are way better prices than what I was seeing elsewhere... ($300+!)
              I forgot to add that I've ordered from Fly N Cycle before, and they're legit. They're located somewhere in Illinois, and they shipped my stuff out fast at a very reasonable shipping cost.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Im mounting dual single element H3s. I modified the stock ears to take turn signals where the reflector went and used the stock location to fi the headlights. Ill have to put it back together to take a pic if I think about it later. You can also make a bar mount to fit between the ear mounts with a center mounting hole for single post headlights.

Comment

Hey, welcome back, GS650 girl! I seem to remember that you are in the St. Cloud area. Hope you've been having some good riding. I still have my original round headlight in the fairing, but I understand there is some sort of HDID assy that fits in the same bucket. Planecrazy did it on his GS1000.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! Yep Dan..I was on here awhile back but my Suzi died 2 years ago so I kind of just had it sitting waiting in the garage until I decided what to do with her. In the meantime I got a Triumph but I still couldn't get rid of Suzi!!! So now that I came across a running engine I'm back!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                      Hey, welcome back, GS650 girl! I seem to remember that you are in the St. Cloud area. Hope you've been having some good riding. I still have my original round headlight in the fairing, but I understand there is some sort of HDID assy that fits in the same bucket. Planecrazy did it on his GS1000.
                      Actually, Dan, all I did was add an H4 Silverstar to the existing bucket on the Vetter fairing on my 1100G ... and it works fantastically (as you know). I DID have to swap the longer stock Vetter headlight plug out for a shorter one because of tight clearances, but aside from that it was "plug and play!"

Regards,

Comment

Custom headlight? Why yes!

I have made a complete, custom, one-off projector headlight solution for my 650, but have not mounted it yet since I need to take care of some other bits and pieces before I can mount it up. I am hoping sometime in the next week or so to get it mounted, and will post pics when done if you are still interested.

You can see the headlight in my 650 thread in the appearance mod section if you are interested.
                        Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

It's a little out there styling wise, definitely not for everyone, but it will look fitting once I have it mounted, and make a front fairing.

I am planning on mounting it by flipping the headlight ears so they decrease the distance between them in the center, and making a custom mount to go from the rubber isolated mounts previously used for the signal lights to the 4 bar cage of the light. Should work a treat, and give me good mounting points for the yet to be made fairing as well.

If you are going to a larger diameter headlight, the headlight ears can be heated and rebent to accomodate the larger size, or you can buy headlight ears from a bike with a larger diameter light, but make sure to get ones meant for the same size forks if you are going this route.

Please post some juicy pics for us when done, or better yet, some in-progress and finished pics would be awesome!
                        Hope this helps, and best of luck!
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Cool another from MN.....we need to all get together when the weather isnt so crappy!

John

Comment

I've bodge painted this one recently. Will go on me gsx tommorrow (to many rr's? to many mm's). I broke the rule though, so it may have to go black.

Comment

Working...
                            X