How do I make something like this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make something like this

looking on flickr and came across this pic, how would someone go about making a new logo for the points or crankcase cover?

thanks

-Project Suzuki Cafe Racer- My "logo" for the bikes I build.

We used to make some for Harley's several years ago at the shop i work for. We made them out of billet aluminum. Turned them on a lathe parted them off and then engraved them on a CNC mill. If you take a drawing to a machine shop they can probably make you one. Word of warning though. One offs are very expensive.

Comment

my buddy does vinyl decals and he could probably make that, but I doubt that it would be a good idea to put one on the stator cover... probably too hot for it to stay.

Comment

Hrmmm. Well, the STOCK ones are just made of thin metal, with a sticky back. Its basicly a metal sticker. I would bet that you could take a thin piece of alu or steel , cut it out to shape and size, then attach a vinyl sticker to it of the same size and it might do ok. The surface of the motor there isnt THAT hot, and with another piece of metal between the sticker and surface, it might disipate enough of the heat to keep it from curling. Might try some more intense "sticky" stuff to attach it with to help keep it on there.... I might have to give this a try on one of my bikes just to answer the question for myself... Ive often wondered if it would work...just never got around to trying..

Comment

I've always put stickers/decals on my motors. It'll be fine on a stator cover.

Comment

The cheap and easy is to have a vinyl sticker printed. I was doing this stuff before selling my printer. Its pretty straight forward. Give the sign guy the Dia. of the place for the sticker (leave an 1/8" or so smaller) and give them the best quality of the image you can find. If the image you have is crappy, it may cost you more due to the fact that the shop will have to clean the image up enough to print. Remember, crap in, crap out. Also, have them UV and scratch protect it with Frog Skin or an over layment. It will increase the life of the decal from scratches and fading.

Comment

Working...
            X