No announcement yet.

New paint job on my old bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm painting the engine covers, forks and shock bodies with duplicolor brand engine paint. The clear they make is a one part enamel product and according to the can is rated to 500 degrees. So far, I'm happy with the results. The only negative is the long re-coat window with the enamel. I've been applying the base color and letting it dry for a week before wet sanding and clearcoat. I'll see how the paint holds up after I've put some miles on the bike. If I'm not satisfied I'm going to give the spray urethane a try.

I would rather use a two part urethane if there is a chance that gas can come in contact with the parts. The tank, side covers and fenders I had professionally done using an automotive base coat clear coat.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      I'm painting the engine covers, forks and shock bodies with duplicolor brand engine paint. The clear they make is a one part enamel product and according to the can is rated to 500 degrees. So far, I'm happy with the results. The only negative is the long re-coat window with the enamel. I've been applying the base color and letting it dry for a week before wet sanding and clearcoat. I'll see how the paint holds up after I've put some miles on the bike. If I'm not satisfied I'm going to give the spray urethane a try.

I would rather use a two part urethane if there is a chance that gas can come in contact with the parts. The tank, side covers and fenders I had professionally done using an automotive base coat clear coat.
      I'll tell ya what Al, I did my GS1100ES this spring with the Duplicolour stuff..Im pleased as punch with how its turned out and how its held up. Ive put maybe 7K or so on the ES this year (didnt get to ride as much as I was hoping, and split time between it and the other bikes, so still got some decent miles in this year ) Its held up great to oil and gas dribblings, and, believe it or not, I use simply McGwires Cleaner Polish (car polish) on it, and it shines GREAT!! I didnt even use a clear coating over it. I went with High Gloss, a bit shiny-er than the stock black motor paint for the year, but I like the "wet" look it gives it....I'll see if I can find a pic that shows the motor nicely...

Comment

here's one. doesnt get as close as I was hoping, but For some reason my phone isnt complying with sending the pics I have on it to my email, I have some good ones on there i took just a couple days after..

This pic is from just a couple months ago, at the WV Rally, So its had quite a few miles on it at this point. I did the entire motor, the fork lowers, wheels and carbs. You can see the reflection of the brake pedal in the clutch cover and the light gleaming off the contact breaker cover...I really like the Duplicolour stuff, and wouldnt hesitate to use it again. Its held up quite well. This winter Im doing a full frame up restore to the ES, so the non motor bits that are black will actually be getting powder coated most likely, and the motor will probably be getting the Duplicolour treatment again, as it will be getting the top end rebuilt. I did this with the motor still in the frame, so I didnt get every nook and cranny as I would have liked, but I will be able to with the rebuild...

Comment

Working...
        X