Found a small flyscreen for the 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a small flyscreen for the 1100E

Looks OK, fits OK...probably won't do much wind wise, but I'll try it until I can get a decent 1/4 fairing...

Later,
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Where did you get it?

Comment

Some online place I never heard of...took a chance.
      It is listed under 7" headlights, but says 8" mount.

I had to do some grinding on the mounts to make it fit, but the cutout in the screen fit fine.
      And I replaced their hardware with some license plate bolts I had...just worked better.

Ordered it Friday morning and got it Saturday, Priority mail...(same state)

EDIT: I just noticed they don't list the dark smoked that I got anymore...maybe I got the last one?
      Last edited by Baatfam; 09-13-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Just got back from a ride and it did make an improvement in how the wind hits me...
        Before the wind would hit me in the chest and at speed would push up and knock my helmet around.
        With this little screen, the wind pressure is moved up to about my face shield....
        I still get wind pressure on my helmet, but it is much more even and doesn't move the helmet around.
        And If I tuck just a bit, I can get out of it.

Of course I only got up to about 90, so it may be different if I go fast...

Comment

looks nice, i might decide to pick one of these up as i have been looking for them.

i like your horn, is that a bicycle hand bell?

Comment

Looks sharp !

Comment

Originally posted by G1100 View Post
              i like your horn, is that a bicycle hand bell?
              Yes....works well for pedestrians in parking lots...much friendlier than the horn...

Doesn't work very well for redirecting SUVs....

Comment

Looks alot nicer!!

Comment

it's nice, and inexpensive. way to go.

Comment

I like it. I had an old Yamaha with a quarter fairing and I really liked the way it blocked the wind. Still got undisturbed air to my head, but it blocked it from my torso, so I could just relax my arms. When I got the E, I started looking for possibilities. Actually, I was looking for what you have now, but I couldn’t find one. Next, I was set on an R90S fairing. I was either going to get an Airtech or a factory one from this BMW place in NJ. Either way, I think it was going to run about $300 without paint and mounting crap.

One day, I was at Suter’s speed shop near Madison and saw an unpainted WC hanging in the warehouse. It was old, but never mounted. $20. A can of black spraypaint gave me a paint job that looked beautiful for about 20 minutes or so…..now it’s faded and chipped and looks like sh!t, complete with rough-edged makeshift mounting “hardware” from Farm & Fleet. To mount with the 8”, I just trimmed away some of the tapered “tunnel” in front of the light so it fit – it now mounts slightly further back than it was designed for, but I think looks better.

Anyway, the thing looks like crap – mainly because I’m the owner – but it works incredibly well.

The other thing I thought of doing was turning a GS1150ES fairing into a small barmount fairing like Claude (solosuzuki) did on his beautiful black ’82. So I bought an immaculate black and red fairing, but I’ve never done it. Since the WC works so well (and could even look good with some paint and less shoddy hardware), I decided against it. It also seemed a shame to f-up a perfectly good fairing.
                    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

i have the same flyscreen. i was very surprised how much wind it took off of my chest. I have drag bars, so, i'm leaning forward a good bit....i like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X