GS650GT to Cafe Racer (winter project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GT to Cafe Racer (winter project)

I did a quick PS of the project but I really want to use spoke wheels any ideas about how to feat the rear wheel?

Please give me some feedback, opinions, and advises. Also I can't find a good looking hi performance exhaust (4-1)

the gas tank and the tail section all it's going to aluminum hand-crafted

or maybe some red on the frame and all engine blackout ???

poor seating position

I know that very rear wheel seating position is retro, but it's too retro, like 1920's. A well balanced race bike has the rider close to the front wheel, with a short round gas tank. (I can't believe you've ever taken a quick corner). If you like a well balanced road race bike, you'll dump that long tank and antique seating position.
    Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      I know that very rear wheel seating position is retro, but it's too retro, like 1920's. A well balanced race bike has the rider close to the front wheel, with a short round gas tank. (I can't believe you've ever taken a quick corner). If you like a well balanced road race bike, you'll dump that long tank and antique seating position.
      Bill
      I kind of agree but how much racing do ya think he's gonna be doing?
      In the process of doiing my 82 and I stood by my original rule of thumb, the tank and the seat must be the same length or close.
      These days most guys including myself that do these old bikes with the cafe theme strictly for looks along. Of course it should be ridable but looks come first.

my 02
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Yellowbirds, first off welcome to the GSR!

This sounds like a rather ambitious project, and I wish you the best luck. Others here will chime in with their opinions on whether one can make a cafe racer out of a shaft driven bike, please do as you wish, it is your bike.

I do want you to realize that the shaft drive bikes are a little harder to customize. Spoke wheels may be available from other shaft driven Suzukis, in this case I think the Maduras used flattened spokes, some of the Intruder lineup also had spokes, whether they will bolt up is another question.

A quality 4 into 1 header for a 650g is also a rarity. You may find a cheap Mac but you will have to search used or overseas for a better quality exhaust. Dynajet used to make a stage 3 jet kit which may solve some of the tuning issues with the pipe.

Comment

Thank you all.

Yes, I know it's not going to be easy but I found this old 81 GS for cheap and I think it can be a hell good looking cafe

some adjustments

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post

A quality 4 into 1 header for a 650g is also a rarity. You may find a cheap Mac but you will have to search used or overseas for a better quality exhaust. Dynajet used to make a stage 3 jet kit which may solve some of the tuning issues with the pipe.
            You can get a Marshall exhaust for around $425 shipped. Very nice sound

Comment

I'm thinkin' you can make a cafe' style bike out of just about anything with the right combination of body work and racer-pieces. I've seen a couple of shaft drive versions on this site that were very cool. Aluminum tank, bump seat, clip ons, rear sets, very minimalist. I always like twin exhaust on a more Euro-styled cafe', too. There's some really nice, very afforadable Conti clones out there that would look great on that bike if you can't secure a 4 into 1.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
                ...Please give me some feedback, opinions, and advises. Also I can't find a good looking hi performance exhaust (4-1)
                Back in '78-80 when I was staioned in Okinawa the local guys would build 4-into-1 headers from stock head pipes and some raw stock and then paint them with black header paint. Have you considered seeing if a muffler/exhaust shop could do the fabrication? Then you could have it chrome plated or ceramic coated.

Just a thought.

Comment

Spoke wheel?

Okay, have you thought about a 1200 Madura for a spoke rear wheel? It's shaft drive. Any GS spoke front wheel will fit too. Another choice may be one of the V-twin Suzuki cruisers. Several had shaft drive and spoke wheels. Maybe the 700 Intruder?
                  Oh, more weight on the front equals better handling. Look at how the GSXRs have progressed.
                  GREG
                  sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                  2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                  Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                  '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

You'll have to resolve the spoke wheel issue first.

If it can't be done, you'll have to get a chain drive bike.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
                      I did a quick PS of the project but I really want to use spoke wheels any ideas about how to feat the rear wheel?

Please give me some feedback, opinions, and advises. Also I can't find a good looking hi performance exhaust (4-1)

the gas tank and the tail section all it's going to aluminum hand-crafted

or maybe some red on the frame and all engine blackout ???

Doesn't look to out of balance to this fellow. And it's a 1971

http://z.about.com/d/motorcycles/1/0.../-/Triumph.jpg
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2009, 05:28 PM. Reason: Picture didn't load

Comment

The thumbnail pic of the Triumph is the bike that beat me by 1/2 point at the '08 Legend of the Motorcycle at Half Moon Bay. It's a beautiful bike. You can see my 550F sitting next to it. The Triumph was a worthy machine to come in Second place to. Spoke wheels just look right on cafe' bikes.
                        Last edited by nvr2old; 09-20-2009, 01:57 AM.
                        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Thanks all

I did a little homework and sent some mails I will need to custom made the rear wheel using a madura hub.

I can't use the madura or intruder wheel because the chopper size they used for those models 3x16 & 3x15 and I need a 4.25x17 and maybe I would use a 4.25x18 to keep the old cafe racer vintage look. So now I need to wait for the Excel Non-Dimpled Aluminum Rims price estimate, I already have the Pro-Wheel and maybe the color choice

About the exhaust I find a nice Yoshimura 4-1 for an old GS650g Katana, I think I can use this one any input ????

Please continue posting any feedback or suggestion.
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Leave the mag wheels. Spokes suck anyway.
                            Any exhaust will work if you have enough imagination, and tools.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                            X