No announcement yet.

Yet Another Cafe Build (my first)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good. Very similar to what I did when I made my second seat..

One thing to think about: Moving the taillight in a little bit.

Comment

that is a big freaking lense. thought about that. thinking that i need to cut out the back of the tail piece. will just have to figure out how to attach everything. I was using all the original holes.

Comment

I carved the little glove box out of the back of my tail section with a Dremel. Now I just keep a bag with the tools and crap that I need there. It works well and holds more. For mounting the light I made a metal bracket that holds it in position.

If you go that route, make it stronger and more secure than you think you need. One day I came home to find a gaping hole where my first tail light was.

Comment

Originally posted by huzier View Post
          that is a big freaking lense. thought about that. thinking that i need to cut out the back of the tail piece. will just have to figure out how to attach everything. I was using all the original holes.
          I fabbed the original plastic inner fender to stay in place when the seat is removed. Picked up a little LED tail, brake, sig and plate light from an ebay seller. Mounted it to the outer part of the inner fender. Had to trim the bottom of the tail section so it wouldnt stick out so much. I wanted the innner fender and the tail light assembly to stay in place when I wanted to remove the seat.
          Looks decent.
          Also, I bought my fiber/gelled seat from yet another ebay seller. It's ok but a bit flemsy so I re-inforced the bottom with a few more thick coats of resin and glass fibers. Its like a rock now.
          Fabbed the original seat mounts and rubber stops to the glass seat. PITA but it works. Last thing ya need to think about at 80mph is a wobbly seat..

sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

i put my new clubman bars on last night. looks good, but, i think that i need risers of some sort, so that i can pull the angle of the bars back a little. Any direction that i can be pointed to track some down?

Thanks

Comment

Why do you want the bars back? Just asking because I had issues with my clubmans and stock seat height. When I went to the cafe tail, the clubmans fit me and the bike like a glove. At least until I got my clipons. I also like to be over the tank a bit more than most from what I've seen on the older bikes, though, so that may be it as well.

Comment

kind of mapping out my bike's rearend...I've been looking for laws and regs. for plate mounting ( is vertical placement legal in wisc.? ). scouring the web and can't find a straight answer....anybody know for sure????

Thanks,
                Nick

Comment

Easiest thing to do is to call your state atty gen's office; that's why they are there. If they stumble, normally your state highway patrol will have an absolute answer for you, too. Also, ask them if they can give you the statute; it should be under a traffic code of some sort...ie a traffic violation. This should just be a phone call away.
                  Good luck and post up with your answer.
                  -KR

Comment

stopped by my friendly neighborhood police dept. They told me that motorcycle plates HAVE to be horizontal....oh well, i found a thin taillight/plate bracket combo on ebay that should look pretty good and not hang too low........

Comment

Lemme know about those clubmans. Been thinking about em but worried about comfort. They do look good though.
                      Just ordered set of 0 pullback dragbars for mine. The dirtbike bars gotta go.

Anymore update pics?
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

Comment

kind of mapping out my bike's rearend...I've been looking for laws and regs. for plate mounting ( is vertical placement legal in wisc.? ). scouring the web and can't find a straight answer....anybody know for sure????

Thanks,
                        Nick
                        I think you'll find that it's probably not technically legal in most parts of the world. It's just tolerated in some parts. Down here it depends on the mood of the cop that pulls you over.

Cop - "make sure you fix that plate when you get home".
                        Me - "no problem, consider it done"

Thankfully, I've never been pulled over by the same cop twice.

Comment

Thanks,
                          Nick
                          Go to the local highway patrol or state police office that does vehicle inspections. . They will give a straight answer. Just make sure you have a tag light. that is illegal in all states

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                            Lemme know about those clubmans. Been thinking about em but worried about comfort. They do look good though.
                            Just ordered set of 0 pullback dragbars for mine. The dirtbike bars gotta go.

Anymore update pics?
                            Octain,

I'm not planning on the clubmans for comfort ( i don't think that they will be ). But, i have pretty long arms (i'm 6'3"), so they will be comfortable enough ( besides, they look WAY too good not to have on ). The drag bars that I had on before looked good, though. I needed bar end mirrors, couldn't see with the stock ones. Should have some pics this weekend, in the process of trying to cover the seat.

Nick

Comment

Octain,

I'm not planning on the clubmans for comfort ( i don't think that they will be ). But, i have pretty long arms (i'm 6'3"), so they will be comfortable enough ( besides, they look WAY too good not to have on ). The drag bars that I had on before looked good, though. I needed bar end mirrors, couldn't see with the stock ones. Should have some pics this weekend, in the process of trying to cover the seat.

Nick
                              Oh the seat, lol... Thats sn entirely different thread all together.

I have bar ends on mine, like em fine except they make the front end of the bike look too fat. The "trimmable" drag bars should skinny it up a bit VS the 31 inch bars I have on it now. Thinkinig if I have enough room for the controls I'll prolly trim em down to around 24-26 inches.
                              If Im still not happy I may give the clubmans a try.

Course, taking lots of pics is all part of the process. BUt that goes without saying.

sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

it's not too bad for my 1st attempt at a seat. pretty comfortable just sitting on it in the garage. I'm just waiting on my taillight/plate combo, & would like to take her out before the snow starts flying.

Comment

Working...
                                X