No announcement yet.

Yet Another Cafe Build (my first)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no idea, but what is up with those pouches eh? weird idea...

great build

Comment

here's a picture of what I have.

Nick

Comment

I have the tank & tail piece out to repair & paint (satin black with possible gloss black stripes). I'm wondering about my exhaust. My headers & pipes are in great condition (i do want to wrap the pipes though), but, my mufflers are rusted out on the ends & looking all nastified. Will they unclamp from the pipes or do i need to cut them off? If they come off, I would like some suggestions on what kind of slip-ons to get.

Nick

Comment

they will have to be cut off the Y section or a new y pipe made, after that you can weld anything youwant to them ( a section of tubing so you can use slip ons maybe )

after I get off the comp Im gonna go wrench mine which happens to be the same color yours used to be, same model, year, and all.

great job! love the seat

Comment

They should slip off but may be rusted in which will mean chopping them off.

The mufflers are too long now for the shorter look of the bike IMHO so you need something about 8" shorter. On the XS 650 Street tracker I built I put on a set of "sportster" shorties. They come up all the time on e-bay. If I recall they are about 16 or 18" in length and are kind of "cherrybomb" shaped. Be warned, they are extremely loud as they have minimal baffling (if any).

You could perhaps shorten what you have but it would require some welding I think and the chrome finish would get marred. Maybe be better to source something new.

Good luck and show us what you come up with.

Cheers,
            Spyug

Comment

I'm thinking about going with clip-ons. I'm wondering what everyones recommendations are. I measured with a ruler (dont have a mic), & am thinking I need 35mm clamps. Right???

Comment

I really like your build I my self would get rid of the engine gaurds my self. 35mm is correct, have you decided which clip ons you are going to get?

Comment

does anyone know of a good online source to get stainless steel hex (allen) head bolts? I like the industrial look of those kind of bolts & I am switching out as much hardware as I can. The hardest one to find are 10 x 1.25.

Comment

Comment

I just got my tank & tail from a body shop guy that i know (i gave them to him last november, & he used them as filler work over the winter). I'm really happy with the satin black & you cant even tell where the emblem channels were. I just had to set them on the bike & snap a couple shots...

Comment

I'm starting with pretty much the exact same bike you did. Same model year, same color, same seat,Vetter fairing (mine is a different model). I plan on going in a somewhat similar, although I won't be going with a cafe seat (gotta have room for a girl on the back).

I really like the work you've done. I'm wanting to go with satin black myself, maybe with a contrast stripe down the middle of the tank and tail section.

Again, nice work and thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

Thanks MC. I am thinking about running a gloss black rally stripe down the tank & tail. something for just a slight contrast.

Comment

on the road again!! the tank & tail had to go back to the shop (the clear was never applied). Getting ready for the Rockerbox rally next week here in Brewtown.

Comment

Nice one Huzier! I like it...
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                              X