slamming a 83 gs1100e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rkt-Rch View Post
    I remember lowering everthing I owned when I was your age and then some, then I had to fix everthing that hit... LOL If i lowered it, I did it for handling purposes only or so I said (Looks always was a factor) If your going for the drag/longer swingarm look make sure you save all your parts and don't do anything you cant put back to stock (or close). Remember those COOL CalBugs all the kids drove in California, well can't tell you how many times I Re-Welded cracks or replaced parts due to just wanting to look cool. Driving into a drivway sidways and going over speed bumps sidways and slow got old. But yes just remember when you drop a bike: the closer your are to the ground the quicker you are to hit the ground... LOL still would like to see the end project and I don't mean a scraped up one.
    i definitely know what u mean. im around slammed civics all the time sucks when being that low (breaing oil pans, destroying shock towers, camber wear) it sux. but i definitely agree im looking for the "correct" way of dropping this bike. if i can keep the bike it will most likely be something to go out and ride on weekends and enjoy with a group of other riders. i am not very serious into racing when it comes to circuits and handling i stick to cars. thanx for everyones feed back.

Comment

keep in mind most of the people on this site have been playing with these bikes longer than you have been alive and many spend many dollars and years restoring these bikes back from what your thinking about doing. perhaps you should make a goal of turning this into a drag bike so they will understand your direction. it is a shame to change such a beautiful machine as well as changing its mathematics (sag, weight balance ect.) heres a link to a previous post about that age thing. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=134553 as you will see we are for the most part a bunch of old folks but dont fool yourself some of the members here are the most knowledgeable people in the world on these bikes. you colud modify it kinda like this if your bored and she would still retain her value.http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pictureid=3648 the seat on this bike is a corbin and from the ground up its 22-1/2 tall (see just like a slammed one)

Comment

keep us posted if you decide to go ahead with the mods, and dont forget the pics as you progress
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

right now the bike doesnt fire so most likely im going to try to diagnose the problem

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          keep us posted if you decide to go ahead with the mods, and dont forget the pics as you progress
          will definitely keep you guys posted

Originally posted by 1978GS1000custom View Post
          keep in mind most of the people on this site have been playing with these bikes longer than you have been alive and many spend many dollars and years restoring these bikes back from what your thinking about doing. perhaps you should make a goal of turning this into a drag bike so they will understand your direction. it is a shame to change such a beautiful machine as well as changing its mathematics (sag, weight balance ect.) heres a link to a previous post about that age thing. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=134553 as you will see we are for the most part a bunch of old folks but dont fool yourself some of the members here are the most knowledgeable people in the world on these bikes. you colud modify it kinda like this if your bored and she would still retain her value.http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pictureid=3648 the seat on this bike is a corbin and from the ground up its 22-1/2 tall (see just like a slammed one)
          i dont plan on ruining the bike

Comment

whose bike is it?

Axonz,

Since you asked for help not opinions.... I sent you a PM, any other questions, just ask.

If it's your bike you should make it like you want. If someone wants a stock and original bike, that is their perogative, but it's also their bike. You won't have to ride it or pay for the gas that goes in it. If someone wants to cut their bike up into a bobber, it's theirs not yours....let it go. Don't let anybody pigeonhole you into what they think your bike should be.

DON'T LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
              Don't let the keyboard nazi's get you down axonz. It's your bike do what you want. Just wade through the BS comments, there will be plenty of folks here willing to help you out. Good luck.
              It's not his bike though.. it's his dad's. LOL
              1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
                but his dad is obviously allowing him to mod it the way he wants
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by axonz View Post
                  nice, very off topic but OKAY. im 19? and ur point is? i dont know how this helps me with my question. hotrodding? never even heard of that im guessing u mean abusing the bike? no i do not the bike doesnt fire, trying to get some money together to fix it for him. K now since my question has pretty much been answered before, this can be closed.
                  Axonz,
                  Well I can't say that the thought or sound of SLAMMING (whatever that means) an ED is appealing, but it does appear as if you have a level head on your shoulders and you obviously are dealing well with some of the more negative comments. Good luck and keep us posted with pics
                  Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by axonz View Post
                    lol father told me its a banzani or something like that? any help with identifying it? lol :/
                    That appears to be a Bassani pipe, very sought after. If it is, selling it should fund most of your project, if you get the price the last seller demanded...$1000.

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Axonz,
                      Well I can't say that the thought or sound of SLAMMING (whatever that means) an ED is appealing
                      bascally lowering it as far as possible, known as "slamming it to the deck"
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

thanx for all the feedback guys

Originally posted by Frankenzuki View Post
                        Axonz,

Since you asked for help not opinions.... I sent you a PM, any other questions, just ask.

If it's your bike you should make it like you want. If someone wants a stock and original bike, that is their perogative, but it's also their bike. You won't have to ride it or pay for the gas that goes in it. If someone wants to cut their bike up into a bobber, it's theirs not yours....let it go. Don't let anybody pigeonhole you into what they think your bike should be.

DON'T LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN!!!!!!
                        i couldnt agree more. alot of people tend to nit pick at things cause its not in there liking, but in my opinion if alot of time and effort was put into your project who cares how it looks its the effort that was made.

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
                        reading>you

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                        but his dad is obviously allowing him to mod it the way he wants
                        thank you for clearing that up for him.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Axonz,
                        Well I can't say that the thought or sound of SLAMMING (whatever that means) an ED is appealing, but it does appear as if you have a level head on your shoulders and you obviously are dealing well with some of the more negative comments. Good luck and keep us posted with pics
                        Posplayr
                        thank you, and yes slamming means going very low but im kinda considering just extending and dropping it to wear i dont have to change to a sidewinder.

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                        That appears to be a Bassani pipe, very sought after. If it is, selling it should fund most of your project, if you get the price the last seller demanded...$1000.

Tony.
                        wow my dad said he bought it in 83 for 400.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that this beautiful machine is going to get chopped up like a ripe tomato?

Comment

I say lower ,chop it its your!!! anything i own dont stay stock long

Comment

Be sure to post pictures after youre done..im interested to see how it turns out.

Lets try and remember folks, its just a motorcycle, who cares if he lowers it?

Comment

axonz, I say go for it. I own a (almost totally) stock red 83. I like it just like it rolled off the production line, with a few enhancements (oil cooler, stainless steel brake lines). But I think you have an excellent project ahead, and look forward to pics as you get things done. Of course, you need to get it running first, and the technical section is your friend for this. When you do get it running, you will find it is a very peppy machine, loads o' torque.
                                Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X