Picked up a used Yoshimura can...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a used Yoshimura can...

Bought a pair of older, used Yoshimura cans with 18" long pipes on CL. Don't know exactly what they came off, but I'm going to use one on the end of my 4-1 header on my "new" 1100EX project bike.

I think it looks good, hope it works OK .

I also decided to add K&N pods on her as well, and I'm going to follow Chef's jetting suggestions when I finally get her back together.

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

That can looks to be in good shape. I'm not sure I have seen one anodized before; Is it anodized or is that just the picture?

Did you get it apart and check the packing?

The midpipe hangers seems to be just right as well.

How did you adapt it to the header?

Comment

I have one of those I bought off ebay. I cut the spout off the end of the can so it was pretty much flush. Than weled on a new mount down on the pipe. It slipped perfectly into my mac header. It also arced up higher than that.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        That can looks to be in good shape. I'm not sure I have seen one anodized before; Is it anodized or is that just the picture?

Did you get it apart and check the packing?

The midpipe hangers seems to be just right as well.

How did you adapt it to the header?
        No, didn't take it apart - guess i should do that ehh?? I don't know much about these sort of things, this is my first swat at a decent 4-1 exhaust.

It does appear to be an anodized can, although I'm no expert in the process...

The lead-in pipes are stamped "GP900 RS" and I bought the pair for $40, The hanger on the right-side one (shown in pic) matched up almost perfect with rear peg bolt.

It will be connected to the "unkown & very rusty brand" 4-1 header via an connector pipe I had a guy in a muffler shop fab up this AM - I made it longer than I need & plan on trimming it to size when I install it for good on the bike. One end of the adapter/connector will be welded to the header end, the can end will just be slipped over the 2" pipe for as long as I can& sealed with muffler mud, no clamps.

That way I figure i could change it out if I need to...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
          I have one of those I bought off ebay. I cut the spout off the end of the can so it was pretty much flush. Than weled on a new mount down on the pipe. It slipped perfectly into my mac header. It also arced up higher than that.
          Yeah, my pic makes it look like a low rider!! It actually seems to be just the right height (to me anyway!).

I'm wondering how it will sound. The bike isn't running yet. I've been cleaning carbs all week (one per day / 24 hr dip each...) and I just ordered 4 brandy new K&N pods !!!

I can't wait to at least hear her run...
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            No, didn't take it apart - guess i should do that ehh?? I don't know much about these sort of things, this is my first swat at a decent 4-1 exhaust.

It does appear to be an anodized can, although I'm no expert in the process...

The lead-in pipes are stamped "GP900 RS" and I bought the pair for $40, The hanger on the right-side one (shown in pic) matched up almost perfect with rear peg bolt.

It will be connected to the "unkown & very rusty brand" 4-1 header via an connector pipe I had a guy in a muffler shop fab up this AM - I made it longer than I need & plan on trimming it to size when I install it for good on the bike. One end of the adapter/connector will be welded to the header end, the can end will just be slipped over the 2" pipe for as long as I can& sealed with muffler mud, no clamps.

That way I figure i could change it out if I need to...
            I have done a few of these now; remove the screws at the inlet side and clamp the mid pipe in a vice ( like by the mount). Use a rubber mallet to swack the tip left to right to loosen the outer skin from the inlet collar. Going back and forth you should be able to get it to slide off and remove the entire cane. The inlet collar is riveted to the 2 1/2" OD mid pipe at the inlet. A couple more swacks of the baffle and it should come off if need be. There is usually some fiberglass packing but i substitute SS wool.

I think I would customize the mid pipe and avoid welding to the header. Just be you know what you have for the header and that way if the header needs swapping there is a chance the mid pipe would work. Otherwise you are destined to swap both if there is a change.

Comment

Pic of the finished exhaust - PJ1 flat black on the headers, had to mod a small bracket to mount the can. I think it looks a bit low however, perhaps I should have angled it up, but I just added to the existing header pipe.

Sounds pretty nice, not too loud, but get your attention!
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                Pic of the finished exhaust - PJ1 flat black on the headers, had to mod a small bracket to mount the can. I think it looks a bit low however, perhaps I should have angled it up, but I just added to the existing header pipe.

Sounds pretty nice, not too loud, but get your attention!
                sorry that is a whole lot low. It will not take much of a lean to the right to have that thing drag and really scuff it up.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  sorry that is a whole lot low. It will not take much of a lean to the right to have that thing drag and really scuff it up.
                  Yeah, I guess you're right... won't be riding her until next Spring, so I have plenty of time for "plan B".

I didn't weld anything together, so it should be pretty easy to replace the piece in the middle with an angled one.

I wanted to get the exhaust on so I could get her running & see if this project was worth staying with, She runs well, decent compression, but needs a head gasket (along with a lot of other stuff to make her road worthy).

Thanks
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

that would look really smart if it were angled up higher. take your exhaust to an exhaust fabricator and just ask them to bend it for you. measure where the bend needs to be and roughly what angle you need
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      that would look really smart if it were angled up higher. take your exhaust to an exhaust fabricator and just ask them to bend it for you. measure where the bend needs to be and roughly what angle you need
                      I originally had an exhaust guy quickly make me an "adapter" piece so I could attach the existing header to the Yosh can & pipe assembly I scrounged up. It was just a straight pipe about 10" long, with different ID sizes at either end to accomodate the 2 different sized pies - that allowed me to connect everything so I could run the bike & see if I liked/wanted to keep that set-up.

As you say, it shouldn't be too hard to angle up the can - I'll just have my guy make me another "adapter" with a "calculated" bend in it. I've attached everything together using a tube of muffler sealer goop & I must say, it works quite well. No leaks & no bulky clamps holding the pipes together. Shouldn't be difficult to break them all apart again & just re-goop with the proper angled pipe in place. Then just re-spray the local area with some PJ1 & I'll be back in business!

Thanks
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

An Idea!

That look kind of gives me an idea for my project...A under the bike exhaust, like a Buell? Sure have to watch the bumps though...

Comment

Working...
                        X