Riding Position Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding Position Changes

Ok, I've been messing around with riding positions on the bike, and have come to the conclusion that I'm most comfortable ratcheted over on the bike, race style. My legs still feel odd, as the only other positions I have are the passenger pegs, and those feel a bit odd for riding. The modern riding position of a new sport bike is sort of what I'm after. I know I probably won't be able to replicate it exactly, but what should I be hunting for to emulate it as closely as possible? Clip-ons and rear-sets? I already broke the choke lever off when I pulled the bars down lower (too low, that time), so I'm not really keen on anything that'll end up denting the crap out of my tank. Perhaps a clubman bar? I have a few ideas floating about, but am looking to solidify them. Any pics of bikes with these items would be pretty neat, as well.

Put some "L" bars on there and all good, a must also is forward controls.

Clipons and rearsets, yes.

Fast from the past.com should carry Tarozzi rearsets, and clipons. Should be the easiest bolt on if there are some for your model.

There are Rassk rearsets possibly.

A little fabrication with some modern rearsets, gets more in detail, bracket, linkage...and some work.

The Tarozzi rearsets on the GS700E put the pegs just about 4 inches back and 1 inch up. This seems to be about in the right spot on the bike, but just depends on what fits yourself.

Price wise, adapt.....

Bolt on, comes at a price of course. $300 around there or so.

Then there is the always "get a modern bike," but we all know a GS is the "Ultamate Machine," and we don't need to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post

Then there is the always "get a modern bike," but we all know a GS is the "Ultamate Machine," and we don't need to go there.
      Indeed, I plan on keeping this bike until I perish from natural causes, or until I have children I can hand it down to. I'm going to ride it for at least the next twenty years, if I can help it.

Comment

my gs has inverted clubman bars which gives it a sporty seating position without coming anywhere near the tank.

Just buy some clubmans, flip em upside down so the make a fancy 'v' in front of your face and ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
          Indeed, I plan on keeping this bike until I perish from natural causes, or until I have children I can hand it down to. I'm going to ride it for at least the next twenty years, if I can help it.
          The best set-up is one that places your feet directly below your butt while sitting in the saddle. That allows you to shift your weight around on the bike without placing any force on the handlebars. If you get your feet too far back you'll be holding yourself up with your arms and you won't last long doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
            The best set-up is one that places your feet directly below your butt while sitting in the saddle. That allows you to shift your weight around on the bike without placing any force on the handlebars. If you get your feet too far back you'll be holding yourself up with your arms and you won't last long doing that.
            That's approximately where the passenger footpegs are. I'm not worried about taking passengers, and don't most aftermarket rear-sets for the 1100E's bolt up about there? that'll probably work out pretty well. Doesn't work on the road right now because my bars are too far forward for that leg position, but I think I'm liking the clubman idea. I've seen a few nice ones that I might try to hunt down, and I'll have to find out where I saw a nice adjustable one. Looked like the best idea for fitting the bike to the rider.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
              That's approximately where the passenger footpegs are. I'm not worried about taking passengers, and don't most aftermarket rear-sets for the 1100E's bolt up about there? that'll probably work out pretty well. Doesn't work on the road right now because my bars are too far forward for that leg position, but I think I'm liking the clubman idea. I've seen a few nice ones that I might try to hunt down, and I'll have to find out where I saw a nice adjustable one. Looked like the best idea for fitting the bike to the rider.
              How tall are you? That's quite a ways back. You're either very tall or you're sitting way back on the saddle and your arms are dead straight.

A good friend of mine ran a set of Raasks on his 1100EX. The pegs were located about 3" higher and 6" further back. He was able to keep his passenger pegs (good thing since his wife used to ride on the back).

If you are seriously considering using your passenger pegs I recommend you take it for a ride. Do some extended seat time with your feet perched back there and see if you're comfortable and see if you have the kind of control you'd like to have.

I think clubmans would be a chore riding around town. I really like the stock bars on my 1000S they're similar to most European sport touring or superbike bars.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

You can replace the passenger pegs with frame sliders. Much better.
                I just did that.

They are larger and more comfy for passenger pegs and, of course, they don't fold up.
                I used delrin, then I'm covering them with grip tape, like you'd put on a skateboard or a step. That way they aren't slippery.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2009, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
                  How tall are you? That's quite a ways back. You're either very tall or you're sitting way back on the saddle and your arms are dead straight.

A good friend of mine ran a set of Raasks on his 1100EX. The pegs were located about 3" higher and 6" further back. He was able to keep his passenger pegs (good thing since his wife used to ride on the back).

If you are seriously considering using your passenger pegs I recommend you take it for a ride. Do some extended seat time with your feet perched back there and see if you're comfortable and see if you have the kind of control you'd like to have.

I think clubmans would be a chore riding around town. I really like the stock bars on my 1000S they're similar to most European sport touring or superbike bars.
                  Passenger pegs are definitely too far back. I wasn't seated properly when I jumped on the bike to test where my feet should be, if located directly beneath my ...posterior. I had a friend mark the frame with a grease pencil where I placed my feet in the most comfortable position I could attain, and used some 3/4 " PVC I mocked up for a clubman bar (using dimensions from the manufacturer of the bar I'll be using), and it puts my feet back about half a foot, and up about two and half, three quarter inches. In the event that the bars become too tiresome for commuting, I can just flip them over, and revert back to the sportier mode when I want to go for a spirited ride. With new bars will come new controls, and bar end mirrors, and an emphasis on ease of removal/modification.

Comment

Working...
                  X