my first restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first restore

My wife and I bought this 450 at a swap meet for $80.only has 17,000 on it (it will be hers when I',m done). Since everyone seems to enjoy pictures, thought I share these with everyone. This of course will be a all winter project, I'll try to post others as things look better. So far I put in a new battery, took off carbs. and cleaned with carb. spray (plan to do full rebuild later), got all lights working, got starter system to work for a while (still dealing with that),cleaned wiring, cleaned out petcock, drained old gas, put in fresh and bike started right up!! It now starts (jump starting off selinoid) without even putting the choke on. Bike needs a airbox top but other than that everything is there.(Anyone have a spare one let me know). Now I'm taking off rusty pieces and trying to make them look as good as possible. I found a rust remover product called Evapo-Rust at O'Reilley and it works great! It works even on chrome and wonderfully on regular metal. Although I found if you let it soak days it works much better. The bike will also need master cylinder rebuild or replace in frt.(have apart and cleaned already) and new shoes, tires, chain, mirrors, but otherwise only a few cosmetic parts. I'm so excited about this project, I love working on it. Only wish it was shaft driven. terrylee

Heck of a deal.

I think you should name it "Rusty".......were was that thing stored ? A salt water bath ?

I have almost as much fun turning a wrench as I do riding. Keep the pics coming as you proceed.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I think if mine had more crome it would have looked the same.. Paid $75 Good luck and keep the pictures comming.

Comment

Great Deal!
        Looks like a good winter project.
        I'll have to try the Evapo-Rust.
        I second the name "Rusty"

Have fun bring it back
        sigpic

1980 GS1000G in the shop!

Past Bikes
        1979 GS850G
        1978 GS750
        1973 GT380

Comment

Rusty is right!
          Electrolysis is your friend.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

more pictures of "Rusty"

downloaded a few more pics. of my winter project. terrylee

Comment

That's an interesting bike. On one hand it reminds me of those first pics they brought up of the Titanic..on the other hand, you start looking at the parts, and they're really in nice condition. Rusty, but straight. It'd be cool to sand blast all those parts, even the exhaust and ceramic/ powder coat everything a nice satin silver. It would have to include all the chrome parts to work visually..but I think that would be cool. Inexpensive, too. Keep us posted on your progress. Should be a fun restore.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                That's an interesting bike. On one hand it reminds me of those first pics they brought up of the Titanic...
                i hope he has a tetanus shot. Great deal though, nothing some love and paint fumes can't fix.

Might want to look at the air fuel mix though. i might be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that they needed a little choke to start in the morning.

YoungGun.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  That's an interesting bike. On one hand it reminds me of those first pics they brought up of the Titanic..on the other hand, you start looking at the parts, and they're really in nice condition. Rusty, but straight. It'd be cool to sand blast all those parts, even the exhaust and ceramic/ powder coat everything a nice satin silver. It would have to include all the chrome parts to work visually..but I think that would be cool. Inexpensive, too. Keep us posted on your progress. Should be a fun restore.
                  second on the blasting, my chrome was rough in places and a hazed chrome finish made it look so much better.

Comment

Good project. Surface rust is no biggy. As long as the bikes all there it's just labour hours to bring it back.

Best of luck.

Comment

all stuff I'd throw away. looks like a good start

Comment

Chop it into bits, cafe, or chopper.

Naaaa...

For real, nice score on a project, and that it seems to be.

Looks like a good project to learn how to chrome plate parts.

Always wanted to learn.

Comment

thanks guys, I've never sand blasted, any pointers. Althought the evapo-rust I found at parts store is doing alot, except for the chrome which is gone. So how do I rechrome? terrylee.

Comment

If you're wanting to do this on a budget, your money might be better spent on mechanical components to begin with. The fork seals, head race bearings, swing arm bushings and brake parts should be rebuilt or replaced. Chain, sprockets, shocks, tires, cables, carb kits..all the things you really don't want to scrimp on to make it safe and reliable. Cosmetically, you can go low-tech and still have it look pretty cool. Re-chroming all those pieces is gonna get a little pricey. Even finding used parts that are nice to replace them with will start to add up pretty quickly. Sand blasting is cheap, and it can be done by the same guys that do the powder coating. There's a lot of corrosion that a chemical will arrest, but not smooth out. Blasting will help do that. Smooth enough to powder coat, for way less than re-chroming. It's just an option, because when it's all said and done, it's what you want it to look like.
                            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Yes to the above. Figure out your budget first. then look at what needs to be replaced/fixed. For example, if it needs new tires, a couple hundred right there. Ask yourself what you you want the end product to be. A daily rider needs more work than a rat bike. If you're going on budget try WD-40 and 4/0 steel wool (#0000). Should be fine enough to knock the rust off and not damage the chrome. IMO it works better than the tin foil/soapy water trick because the foil isn't as mendable and tears easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X