No announcement yet.

my first restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guy I'm definitely not ready to spend alot on looks yet. Your right I'm trying to get it running well first and have been getting everything elec. working. And yes brake work is in order (good used or rebuild frt. master) take off back brakes(shoes) and make sure it's all ok. Take forks off,check springs,seals and new oil. New tires,new chain. And of course valve adjustment. And as you said make sure stem bearing are ok. Getting good used airbox from someone on GS and then plan to tear down, clean, and replace o-rings in carbs. Although it's amazing the bike already starts on first try with no choke! So can't wait to see how it is after rebuild. Also needs different handlebars(too rusty to save). I know I'm going to spend a few hundreds on this bike but for $80. and the experience and fun I'm having it will well be worth it. And with only 17,000 on it I figure it will run a long time. Once all this is done I'll really tackle looks, right now I'm just cleaning up a few things as I go. And without this site I probably could'nt do all this. Thanks to everyone!

Comment

Good project, Im just starting mine as well, not sure if mine is going to run as easy, been sitting for a good 15 years....But its all there and I paid $50 with rebuilt carbs in a bag

Comment

Aluminium foil works well to scrub rust off without marking chrome. Just ball it up & scrub with it...

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Aluminium foil works well to scrub rust off without marking chrome. Just ball it up & scrub with it...

Dan
          Done it!
          A drimel and a bench grinder is also a must.
          A drimel with a tiny wire wheel for the little stuff and a bench grinder with a wire brush for the larger stuff.
          Also some good polishing compound and a polishing wheel for the grinder.

Oh, and a hole lots of time.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Time to invest in a sandblaster! Great buy for $80!

Comment

I love projects like that! congrats. It's easy stuff from here on out. normal maint stuff and some minor cosmetic stuff. Keep up with updates!!

Comment

project bike

I found a product at O'reillys auto called Evapo-rust which works great on removing rust with little or no elbow grease. It attacks the rust not the metal. You soak your part in it and leave it in longer than it says, it takes and all the rust is gone. It works best on regular metal, but also helps a great deal with chrome. I've used it on lots of bolts, chrome pegcovers,exhust, brake pedals,clamps, with amazing results! I have alot of the bike torn apart and am cleaning things as I go. I need lots of parts, but they have to wait till after Christmas (hoping these will be present to my wife since it's going to be hers). That's what she wants from me and the kids. Everyday I look forward to doing more on this bike!

Comment

I like Rusty.

Maybe you should try molasses.

Chris
                  1983 750 Katana
                  1982 750 Katana (parts use)
                  1983 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                  X