Gas Tank Vinyl Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Guys,

sorry for the late reply, just got home. The material the design gets printed on is a Conformable Adheisive Vinyl for Digital Printing. Once printed a 2 mil clear laminate gets applied over the printed graphic. For motorcross the laminate is normally 10-14mil real thick to withstand the elements. But also alot less conformable. Should withstand gas. I was thinking of doubleing up the laminate around the gas cap but the ****ty thing about that is that there is an edge where the second layer of laminate is. Ill prolly just leave it alone. Nothing lasts forever we just try our best to keep things as good as possible. Whats nice about doing vinyl is that after a couple of years, hell a couple months for that matter you can peel the vinyl off and the tank underneith is as good as the day you bought it or painted it.

I have done one buddys tank a few months ago. It was the first one I did on a bike. I do transports, pickuptrucks pretty much any vehicle but the bike tank was the hardest of all, due to all the complex curves and contours. Ill upload the photos I took of it. His bike is an 81 GS650.

If anyone is interested in doing something custom let me know, Ill be glad to take on a few projects.

About the overlaminate I forgot to mention it has a UV inhibitor which helps in the prevention of colour fading.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2009, 10:54 PM. Reason: Had to add a note about laminate

Comment

That is neat. I would like to know more.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by GMSKEE View Post
        Hey Guys,

sorry for the late reply, just got home. The material the design gets printed on is a Conformable Adheisive Vinyl for Digital Printing. Once printed a 2 mil clear laminate gets applied over the printed graphic. For motorcross the laminate is normally 10-14mil real thick to withstand the elements. But also alot less conformable. Should withstand gas. I was thinking of doubleing up the laminate around the gas cap but the ****ty thing about that is that there is an edge where the second layer of laminate is. Ill prolly just leave it alone. Nothing lasts forever we just try our best to keep things as good as possible. Whats nice about doing vinyl is that after a couple of years, hell a couple months for that matter you can peel the vinyl off and the tank underneith is as good as the day you bought it or painted it.

I have done one buddys tank a few months ago. It was the first one I did on a bike. I do transports, pickuptrucks pretty much any vehicle but the bike tank was the hardest of all, due to all the complex curves and contours. Ill upload the photos I took of it. His bike is an 81 GS650.

If anyone is interested in doing something custom let me know, Ill be glad to take on a few projects.

About the overlaminate I forgot to mention it has a UV inhibitor which helps in the prevention of colour fading.
        Kool. Wish I hadnt sold my printer, but work was coming in way too slow. Lots of pics when its finished.

Comment

Ya thats thats the hard part is getting the jobs on a consistant basis. Gotta find a niche market and capitalize

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is the average cost for a vehicle, and what would it be for the average tank?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Regards,

Comment

My Nephew and his dad own this boat manufacture, this is one of his wrap projects. Wrapping is becomming very popular and I must say there is some amazing thing you can do with it.

Heavy gauge aluminum outboard or jet boats for the sports fisherman and their family. Discover what small/big water vessel for sale is best for you today.

Comment

Some other things he did.

Comment

Way to much time on his hands....

Comment

Originally posted by Rkt-Rch View Post
                    Some other things he did.
                    Man, the deer will never see him comin' in that camo welding helmet.

Comment

Hey Planecrazy,

to do a full wrap on lets say a pickup truck or a durango, canadian would be about $2500 But thats a lot of material and time involved. Alot of my customers decide on a half wrap which is about $1300. A gas tank is less material but takes a lot of skill and know how, I charge $600 canadian for design materials and install. Messege me if you have any more questions. Ill be putting up some pics of the work Ive done. Visit the Group called:

78GSers

Ill be posting them in a couple days.

Anyone interested in

Comment

How are you going to get a flat sheet to lay flat down on a compound curved surface like a gas tank? Vinyl sheet is fine on a flat surface, or with bends in-plane, but it won't conform to curved surfaces unless you stretch it.

I'm just coming off a week of installing decal stripes from Reproduction Decals on my 1000S project and trust me, it ain't easy getting those things to lay flat on curved surfaces and these are just thin stripes, not large sheets of vinyl.
                        Last edited by Nessism; 10-25-2009, 09:57 AM.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          How are you going to get a flat sheet to lay flat down on a compound curved surface like a gas tank? Vinyl sheet is fine on a flat surface, or with bends in-plane, but it won't conform to curved surfaces unless you stretch it.

I'm just coming off a week of installing decal stripes from Reproduction Decals on my 1000S project and trust me, it ain't easy getting those things to lay flat on curved surfaces and these are just thin stripes, not large sheets of vinly.

Again, sorry. I wish you much success, honest.
                          The vinyl used in wraps is very conformable. A heatgun and roll is how I did most of my work. Felt squeegee are a god send in corners and cracks too. Just have to keep working the wrap till its flat.

Comment

Thanks Hammered, you said it right. Skill and experience has a good part in the install as well. Stripes and MOtocross graphics are extremely easy to do Nessism but Ive been doing installs for over 10 years now.

Comment

Thanks for the info ... look forward to seeing the pics!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X