your thaughts ... turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your thaughts ... turn signals

hi all , i have a 79 gs 850 and have been riding it without turn signals ( dont need em on this year bike ) i have been thinking of puting some on the bike , i have the originals but think they look a bit large and clumsy on the bike , but i dont think it would suit smaller modern ones ..

should i just leave it as is or bite the bullet and intall some .

i think it looks better without , but for safety it would probably be better with them .

It's a matter of taste I suppose but I've run a few GSs with modern mini indicators and I think they look fine. I've got some (expensive) allycators on my CB1100F at the moment and I reckon they really suit it to a tee.

Plus I always feel a bit wary about riding bikes without indicators; a lot of drivers haven't got a clue about hand signals - is it still in the Highway Code and do they have to learn it? And of course after dark...
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

turn singals

A little hard to see in this picture. I used the turn singals from a Buell. Like you I thought the stock singals were a bit large. Some of the members have used smaller singals also. Try searching I can not remember who they were.

Last edited by Bill C.; 11-12-2009, 01:49 AM.
      80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

thanks bill, the small ones on your bike look fine , i guess ill have to start searching for something that i like .

al

Comment

Here's some I have (they are lockhart-phillips cheapies).
          I usually take off the school bus style signals from old bikes and install something different.
          Don't know if I will keep these, I may replace them with black ones.

Comment

i satarted off today , checking the turn signal wiring , man what a day iv had with the wiring on my bike .. first of all , i lost all power to my switch control , no lights at all , after a couple of hours of tracing wires , i finally found out that it was the fuse box at fault , a clean of the fusebox and re-doing a few contacts .. problem sorted .. , upon start up of the bike ............ found to be now not charging ... another couple of hours and found it to be the earh wire on the rr , snipped it off and ran it directly to ground on the battery .. problem solved again .

never got round to fitting the indicators but noticed that the flasher unit is totally knackered , what other two pin flasher units will do the trick .

any advice greatfully appreciated

Comment

after purchasing a small chrome set of turn signals , i didnt like them on the bike and i decided to install the originals , after a quick clean up , and a lot of hassle with the auto cancelling unit i have worrking turn signals .

i removed the auto cancelling box , joined a couple of wires , had to use a flasher unit for each side and took out the spring from the turn signal switch at the handlebars , my turn signals work ..

i feel safer riding now that they are working .

cleaned the bike up and its looking quite nice.

Comment

hmmm I've never had turn signals on a bike before........

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4fab.com View Post
                  hmmm I've never had turn signals on a bike before........
                  Someday, when some kid doesn't understand your hand signal and tries to pass you on the left you might wish you had.

Comment

Don't buy the ebay cheapies if going for mini stalks, You'll spend more than they are worth fixing them when the connections vibrate apart. I think I paid $40 for Bikemaster, all 4.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                      Someday, when some kid doesn't understand your hand signal and tries to pass you on the left you might wish you had.
                      Hey I agree.....I'm not saying anything bad about them........I am extremely cautious when I ride, and that isn't an excuse....I plan to run them on the next bike, in progress

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4fab.com View Post
                        Hey I agree.....I'm not saying anything bad about them........I am extremely cautious when I ride, and that isn't an excuse....I plan to run them on the next bike, in progress
                        Just busting your chops. I went to mini stalks, with no running lights, and put an on/off switch on my headlight, so I have no room to talk really. NO turn signals, still scares the crap out of me though, especially at night.

Comment

Working...
                        X