No announcement yet.

Simple old school + new school, call it pre skool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow dog days of winter are almost over.

The muffler idea sounds wild, good luck with that.

I have to diagnose why my clutch slips in 2nd or 3rd, can't remember it's been soo long.

I put in a pair of 3 ohm green Dyna coils...

Have to make new headlight brackets, not the angle I wanted.
    Have to drop my oil and put in a new copper washer, nice wet spot on the patio. I changed the oil and ran it a little bit before storage.
    New tires once all the bugs are squashed.
    Tinker with some 36mm flatslides, for those must I use the push/pull throttle tube. I have it but I just wanted to know If it was necessary.
    Winter brain cobweb question.
    Maybe a HID headlight system or something.
    Some day in spring summer mimic your idea for the tail section...
    Oh yeah, redo my seat depending on the tail mode and maybe get the frame powder coated.

Too sleepy to think of anything else. Good luck with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Zweihammer View Post
      Continued..

I have raised the tail on my mock up to place the lower edge even with and parallel to the frame. It might end up easier for me to make a new tail section incorporating the seat base, battery and electrics tray and side rails up to the tank out of aluminum. I will still keep the tail light and profile as it is now. I really like it.

I will begin bracing the frame and building the connecting link and shock mounts next.

Perhaps this is too amateur compared to some of the nicer high end builds, but it seems achievable for most. I hope this will be of use to someone, as others were for me.

Cheers, Erick

This build is turning out ridiculously well. I'm starting to lean quite heavily towards this suspension set-up for a future project. If it rides half as well as it looks once you're done, I'm definitely going this route.

I can't stop looking at these pictures.

If I wore a hat, I'd doff it for you.

Comment

It does ride more like a modern sport liter bike in every way. I don't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmcp View Post
          It does ride more like a modern sport liter bike in every way. I don't regret it.
          Great, that statement is going to end up putting me into the poor house.

Suppose I should start planning things out.

Comment

any more progress......?

Comment

I like this ALOT !! .......kudos 2 U

Comment

Hey guys,
                I apologize for the lack of updates, scheduling and money issues ground me to a halt for quite awhile. I continue to collect what I need, stainless tubing and bends for my exhaust and I finally picked up a set of RS36's. Now I guess I will get rid of the RS38's and the FCR39's. For all the hassle I have gone through to save a buck, I should have just bought new!
                I am making a short work table so I can quit kneeling on the concrete and so I can raise it up for a better view. I am mocking up an exhaust in the area formerly occupied by the airbox/battery.
                Cheers, Erick

Comment

Glad to hear the project and you are still alive.When ever you get it going again be sure to post up.

Charlie G
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by wesmoon View Post
                    any more progress......?
                    Yeah, this is a really interesting build.
                    -KR

Comment

Well, I realized last month I had let several months go by dealing with family and health issues, effectively killing another year. I want to have this back on the road, if not finished by spring. Since I tore into this last fall I have continued to dink with it once and awhile, mostly sitting back and thinking what I have started already could be improved. Cut my new upper shock clevis back off and made another, lower down, to allow me to route my exhaust up and over, like an old school scrambler. No problem with ground clearance, from the exhaust at least.

So here are some pics of my first side tacked together, the opposite will be a mirror of this. I will put the stainless flanges on the headpipes when I pull it off to weld and finish, so the fender washers holding it in place are not permanent. I had thought to use spigots, but think I think regular flanges will work fine, with a slip coupling at the elbow where it goes back under the carbs and another at the muffler I will construct in the space above the shock. I keep changing the muffler design, but I already have the stainless perforated tubes and stainless wool packing ready.

I will be getting out in the shop more this winter. I really want to be riding again when it warms up. I have had to talk myself out of buying another hack "just to have something to ride" and divert my resources. I will finish this if it kills me!

Comment

I'm a little concerned about how close the pipes are to the carbs(maybe a small heat sheild if you can get any further away), but I love the idea and it is looking very custom but natural. Keep it coming

Comment

Glad your back. I wouldn't want to work aroumd those pipes when there hot. It will look great.

Charlie G
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Are you planning on making heat shields for the pipes yourself or have you found some good candidates from some other bike?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Zweihammer View Post
                              Hey guys,
                              I apologize for the lack of updates, scheduling and money issues ground me to a halt for quite awhile. I continue to collect what I need, stainless tubing and bends for my exhaust and I finally picked up a set of RS36's. Now I guess I will get rid of the RS38's and the FCR39's. For all the hassle I have gone through to save a buck, I should have just bought new!
                              I am making a short work table so I can quit kneeling on the concrete and so I can raise it up for a better view. I am mocking up an exhaust in the area formerly occupied by the airbox/battery.
                              Cheers, Erick
                              Alot of truth in that.

Comment

I am at work and left my notes at home. I wanted to whip up some stainless flanges for my head pipes and don't have the dimension for the stud/bolt centers. Does anyone have that dimension off hand? I know it is narrower than most gsxr flanges.

Does 58mm sound right? Thanks!

Cheers, Erick

Comment

Working...
                                X