No announcement yet.

Simple old school + new school, call it pre skool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am no engineer, but wouldn't routing the pipes along the cooling fins on the cylinder/head cause some heat problems?

For instance, will the cooling fins still shed enough engine heat if there are hot exhaust pipes pushing heat back at them? I guess it is the same situation with header pipes in front of the head/cylinder, but those are more directly in the air path. By putting more pipe near the fins, do you change the equation too much?

They also seem pretty close to where your knees will be when riding.

Just curious.

Comment

Hey,

I know we all love pictures-

Just thought I would show you what I have been doing this week to my GS, just to show you I am still dinking with it. I ended up cutting the whole back off the frame after spending so much time trimming it down and cleaning off the extra tabs and such. This is my second version of a seat/tail section, and I have cut it apart again as I want it to be even narrower right after the tank, give it more of a waist-ed look. The frame was too wide at that point to go in further so I cut it off.

I am going to cross brace the opening behind the carbs next, and build up a narrow subframe off the back of the center of the original frame to support the seat and tail.

Cheers, Erick

Comment

I'm not so concerned about the actual cross-bracing as I am about the actual shock mount.

It's all well and good that you have welded the mount on top, but where it really needs a weld is here, on both sides ideally.

If you haven't planned on doing that - I highly suggest you reconsider. That mount will snap clean off given enough time unless you do.

Comment

Thanks for the concern, Mindless, I like to never assume what a person's intentions are. As of now, I am just welding it enough for fit up, no riding, and once I have all the pieces in place, I am going to drop the engine, blow it all apart and weld everything up on while it is on my table. Though I can weld out of position, I really don't want to if I can help it.

BTW, Mindless, I think your bike is the finest of it's kind, I only regret I won't ever see it up close. It has been awesome watching you pull it together, truly unique!

Cheers, Erick

Comment

I somehow missed this one... Subscribed

Comment

Just when I give up....there you are welding again. Great to see you back at it.

Charlie G
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I haven't read through the entire thread, so I don't know if anyone else caught it, but I love the Mad Max reference!

Nice work on everything else too!

Comment

Originally posted by Zweihammer View Post
                  Thanks for the concern, Mindless, I like to never assume what a person's intentions are. As of now, I am just welding it enough for fit up, no riding, and once I have all the pieces in place, I am going to drop the engine, blow it all apart and weld everything up on while it is on my table. Though I can weld out of position, I really don't want to if I can help it.

BTW, Mindless, I think your bike is the finest of it's kind, I only regret I won't ever see it up close. It has been awesome watching you pull it together, truly unique!

Cheers, Erick
                  OK! But I really suggest you weld that up. You'll be doing yourself a big favour Erick.

Thanks for the nice comment about my bike. I'm afraid you won't be able to see it unless the bike would somehow move to California. Who knows what'll happen though. Maybe I'll emigrate and take it with me?

Comment

A little farther along tonight-

I am pondering the slimmest profile sub frame. I am considering a formed pan vs. tubular. The tail section will cover most of it either way.

Cheers, Erick

p.s. Your welcome to bring your bike to California any time, Mindless, I would even make some spare room in my shop!

Comment

Fab-U-lous ! ! ! !

Comment

Any new pictures you can share? Digging this build and need some new inspiration. Thanks.

Comment

Hey, 2hammer, great build here. Any way you can repost your pics for post #s 85, 92, and 99?

Comment

Z hammer,hopefully your still at it?Not sure what happened with the pics after 11-25,could you repost?Love the build,going with a mod of my own with my 82 gs E.Upgrading to run the mile time trials this year.Keep up the good work!RS

Comment

Well, it took a serious back seat for some family issues that have since worked out. During that time, I picked up some more parts, as that didn't involve any time. Now I have to make more adapters.

I have picked up some black '07 GSXR 750 forks as the ones I had needed to be rebuilt and the new set cost little more than the parts to rebuild. I also like the extra length (longest of the last generation GSXRs) as well as the black anodizing is nice and fresh. I got the adapters for putting my R6 calipers to them as well. They look nice on there.

I also picked up a practically unused pair of Marchesinis off a 2000 Ducati, they are the cast aluminum versions so they were cheap, but they look the part from 20 feet away. They were take offs from a dealership, still have nubs on the face of the tires. Tires and all for 300. They look sexy on there as opposed to the GSXR rims, but they will require more spacers, etc. and the GSXR rims bolt right up. So they may have to wait. Same with the aluminum bodywork I am fussing with, I want to get it back on the road. Two months has turned into two years. Ridiculous.

I will take some updated pics and upload them.

Cheers, Erick

Comment

LoL. I can't believe I missed this build till now it is awesome. Second funny thought, I was at an SCA Craft night last night and an armoring friend of mine and I were discussing guantletts. He showed me this site where you can order guantlett kits. I was very interested so I took down the name. Here I am going through the forums when your name pops up. I said what is the likelyhood of two people using that name. I searched the back ground of your pictures for a clue, the rack of hammers was a clue but you said you were a fabricateor, then I came across the picture of the Salle. You must be the one in the same considering I believe that is the same Sallet that is in your banner.

Small world is it not.

Paul
                                aka
                                Lord Valentin de Valentia

Comment

Working...
                                X