Paint update on my S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint update on my S

Every since I finished my S model this past summer, I always wished I could've painted the tank graphics instead of using decals. I met a guy a few months ago who has the computer program and vinyl cutter in his home shop. He whipped out the stock-size Suzuki and Yoshimura graphics in vinyl to use as stencils and then he airbrushed the new ones on today. This way I was able to also use the same blue as the stripes. I'll re-clear it tomorrow. A fun weekend project

Last edited by nvr2old; 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Looks Cool, So is this another GS1000 tank you painted considering the one in the background?
    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

I got two tanks with the bike when I bought it. The other one is pretty rough, but I used it as a guide to measure and lay out the stripes on the second one, also as a guide for positioning the Suzuki graphics.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

A little help from a friend

It was cool working on this with nvr2old. Here's a few in process photos from my shop.

nvr2old testing out my airbrush

Masked off and ready for paint

Ready for the Blue Suzuki

Just about ready for the reveal

Comment

So far so good, fingers crossed.

Better than factory,,,,,,SWEET!

Comment

And here I thought my paint was looking good, hehe. That's really slick!

Comment

Jim is an amazing artist. Thanks for posting the pictures, Jim. If anyone needs some painted graphics, especially on a helmet, he's the man you need to get ahold of. This was one time I didn't mind sitting in the background. The results are great!
              1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Did you make up the templates Ted

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  Jim is an amazing artist. Thanks for posting the pictures, Jim. If anyone needs some painted graphics, especially on a helmet, he's the man you need to get ahold of. This was one time I didn't mind sitting in the background. The results are great!
                  Wow that looks great. I just bought some plastic masking tape for doing some colored stripes. I can't even imaging doing this though. Does Jim use you use a laser stencil cutter?

Comment

Dang, that looks fantastic!

Comment

Looks really nice just like that without the clear.... (I know you can't leave it like that obviously )
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Wow that looks great. I just bought some plastic masking tape for doing some colored stripes. I can't even imaging doing this though. Does Jim use you use a laser stencil cutter?
                        You can see the computer with the cutting machine on the table top next to me in one of the pics. It's actually blades that do the cutting. Incredibly precise. The black and white outlines around the Suzuki and inside the Yosh logos are only 1/16" and absolutely perfect. Plus, Jim has the hands of a surgeon to pick all those little pieces out between coats, too. I was blown away by the whole process. Took about four hours total working time. I loved the small spray booth, too. Not a whiff of over spray escapes.
                        1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          Looks really nice just like that without the clear.... (I know you can't leave it like that obviously )
                          I really like the matte finish, too. Believe me, I considered using a flattening agent in the clear to maintain it just to be a little different, but went ahead and sprayed the shiny stuff.
                          1979 GS1000S,

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            Does Jim use you use a laser stencil cutter?
                            I think what you mean is do I use a plotter?? I have a Roland plotter that I use for lettering and stuff on my helmet work. I use a special mask vinyl and a really expensive program for making the templates. I made the Yosh and SUZUKI templates to match.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                              but went ahead and sprayed the shiny stuff.
                              I can't wait to see how it turns out. Hope it went well?

Comment

Working...
                              X