Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
    That wiring looks way too messy.
    Is there any way that you could neaten it up a bit?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
      wait is this beast going to be street legal??
      That's the idea.

Comment

It's alive!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Runs as smooth as one could hope for. Some minor tuning on the carbs but besides that?

No leaks anywhere as far as I can tell and everything works perfectly (oil cooler, top end oiler, etc.)!

Hopefully it's road legal sometime next week.

Comment

Oh ya!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
            It's alive!

everything works perfectly

Anyone here had ANY doubts that everything would work perfectly??

I know I didn't! Well done man!
            GS850GT

Comment

DUDE! You do some FINE work!

Comment

Where did you get that remote/alarm system from? Got a link? I want!

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                  Where did you get that remote/alarm system from? Got a link? I want!
                  The guy who built the electrical system purchased all the parts but I have the box out in the garage but the name of the company escapes me. I'll check later.

Comment

Took the bike out for a test ride yesterday to run the rings in. Bike was running like a dream and pulled without protest from low revs (had some stuttering before). But for some reason it was puffing black smoke and with the carbs tuned to perfection that could only mean an oil leak.

Removed the tank and pulled the plugs and took a look down the bores. The valve pockets on piston #2 and #3 were filled with oil and quite a lot of oil on the piston tops on #1 and #4 too. There were no indications of any leaks earlier but I guess running it a bit harder than just a few throttle blips on idle makes these things come out in the open.

Gonna order a spring steel head-gasket now then tear the head off and get everything sorted out. Hopefully I'll be back on the road in a couple of weeks. I'll order some smaller main jets for the carbs as well while I'm at it. The 160's I'm running right now are HUGE and it's running so rich on the top end. I'll probably go down to 140-145's.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll try and get a small movie clip up tomorrow after work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
                      But for some reason it was puffing black smoke and with the carbs tuned to perfection that could only mean an oil leak.

Removed the tank and pulled the plugs and took a look down the bores. The valve pockets on piston #2 and #3 were
                      filled with oil and quite a lot of oil on the piston tops on #1 and #4 too. There were no indications of any leaks earlier
                      but I guess running it a bit harder than just a few throttle blips on idle makes these things come out in the open.

Say it isn't so!

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Say it isn't so!
                        It's not that big of a deal actually since it's the head gasket that isn't sealing properly. Now if it was the rings that were crapped, well, that would be a different story.

Tearing the head of and fitting a new gasket is an hours work in the worst case.

Comment

Finally something worthwhile to update the thread with. I got the cylinder back from getting re-honed and re-decked (to get the proper squish) and since today was my only day off this week, I decided it would be a good time to put it all together. I checked all the ring gaps and fitted the pistons on the rods last night so all I had to do today was get the cylinder and head on.

After some assistance from my brother and old man, I managed to get it on. Was a lot easier now with the proper tools and know-how...

Piston-to-deck height looks about right, time will tell if the squish is correct...

Went down to my dads job and borrowed the gas there for a bit to torch the copper gasket red and then tossed it in a cold water bath. Gasket turned nice and soft.

Back home again I put on the head and torqued it to spec. Well, a bit more truth be told. 45Nm instead of the suggested 35-40Nm. I'll retorque it after I've started it and warmed it up.

Then I checked the squish which should be correct now... fingers crossed...

Spot on. Average between the intake and exhaust side landed at about 0.98mm. About as close to ideal squish as you can get.

And here are some shots of the other goodies I got this week. A carbon front mudguard from Demontweeks. Great quality for the price.

And a set of RamAir foam filters so I don't kill the engine with road dust after 200 miles.

Carbs were just test fitted to see how big the filters were, still waiting for the #140 main jets that I ordered last week. Should be here tomorrow so hopefully I can fire it up then and see if everything works as it should (as in no leaks).

Next update will probably come on Monday. Till then...

Comment

Video please! I'm sure you realize that the tasty dish you've been serving us all winter has just left us wanting more and more, like sound and moving pictures. Regular photos will suffice as a quick fix, but you've raised the bar quite high and your audience will become unruly if video production specs aren't met. Now I'll get back cleaning the drool off my desk. You da man.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                              Video please! I'm sure you realize that the tasty dish you've been serving us all winter has just left us wanting more and more, like sound and moving pictures. Regular photos will suffice as a quick fix, but you've raised the bar quite high and your audience will become unruly if video production specs aren't met. Now I'll get back cleaning the drool off my desk. You da man.
                              Here's a clip of the bike. Sounds a bit rough because the idle was set really low.

This was before the oil-ring disaster (which lead to the pictures above).

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

As for why the bike stopped: had forgotten to adjust the clutch properly.

Comment

That front fender is to die for!
                                You probably spend a fair amount of time, sourcing all these tasty bling bits for your bike. Let us know how those filters work out. Came across some on ebay (out of the U.K., IIRC).....looks like they should meet & exceed K&N flow rates, with decent filtering too.
                                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                                X