No announcement yet.

Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lookin good; I'm wondering why the valve clearance is so large? 3mm is way too loose. Did you miss a decimal place?
    Also remember when you break those cam in, to start the motor and run it for about 10-15 minutes at 2500 RPM immediately on startup. This breaks in the cams( get a fan).

Comment

Is that overspray on the valve cover? or is it just in the pic?

Can't wait to see the trasformation

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        lookin good; I'm wondering why the valve clearance is so large? 3mm is way too loose. Did you miss a decimal place?
        Also remember when you break those cam in, to start the motor and run it for about 10-15 minutes at 2500 RPM immediately on startup. This breaks in the cams( get a fan).
        Because the backside of the cam lobes on the new .348 camshafts are much lower compared to the stock cams, resulting in a massive valve clearance. I set the valve clearance to 0,13mm which is 0,01mm outside the recommended value but it gets tighter after time anyway.

Regarding the break-in of the camshafts: I'm well aware of it. It was pretty much written in underlined big bold text in the instruction sheet. My biggest concern is actually the jetting of the carbs right now.

Should have the engine back in the frame tomorrow.

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
        Is that overspray on the valve cover? or is it just in the pic?

Can't wait to see the trasformation
        It's overspray. The valve cover has been painted with Hammerite Silver and then a flat clearcoat. Looks pretty good I think.

Gonna see if I can get a picture of it up later.

Also fitted the new inlet rubbers and hooked up the carbs. Looks pretty damn neat if I may say so myself.

Comment

I have a little constructive criticism for you though it's too late but first off...I don't really understand why you changed from the stock monoshock setup the bike had even though the shocks are nice. and secondly...please for fighters all around the world...don't go with the giant plastic on the front end...you should really either go naked with just a nicely machined bracket for the headlight or find something a bit sleaker for the front end. ultimately its your bike and you decision to make but I think it would give it a much more agressive fighter style look.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
            Because the backside of the cam lobes on the new .348 camshafts are much lower compared to the stock cams, resulting in a massive valve clearance. I set the valve clearance to 0,13mm which is 0,01mm outside the recommended value but it gets tighter after time anyway.
            Should be 0,07-0,14mm on all valves but with the new high-lift cams it was more like 1-3mm (15-20 times outside the recommended value).
            I guess the above post has me confused; I'm running the Webcam 0.340's and the 0.348's are only marginally more lift. IIRC I run between .004" and .005" which I'm guessing is 0.1-0.12mm clearance. Not sure where the 3mm is coming from?

Comment

Originally posted by Yamazukahondi View Post
              I have a little constructive criticism for you though it's too late but first off...I don't really understand why you changed from the stock monoshock setup the bike had even though the shocks are nice. and secondly...please for fighters all around the world...don't go with the giant plastic on the front end...you should really either go naked with just a nicely machined bracket for the headlight or find something a bit sleaker for the front end. ultimately its your bike and you decision to make but I think it would give it a much more agressive fighter style look.
              Why? Well why not? Everyone and his mother converts from two shocks to a monoshock so why can't I do it the other way? I think it looks bitching plus it's a good reason to fit two fully adjustable Ohlins shocks.

As for the fairing, well, it's not really much of a fighter now I think apart from the stance. I built it with a "what if" 80's superbike in mind (since there was no superbike based on the 1150) and I think that's the look I've achieved.

You can have different thoughts about the fairing but ultimately I think it's period and looks pretty cool. Plus it helps to hide a ton of wires and electronics.

I guess the above post has me confused; I'm running the Webcam 0.340's and the 0.348's are only marginally more lift. IIRC I run between .004" and .005" which I'm guessing is 0.1-0.12mm clearance. Not sure where the 3mm is coming from?
              Sorry, might have worded it poorly.

The original camshafts which in Sweden, Germany and Switzerland were severely limited in order for the bike to meet the European standards at the time of max 100hp. The original cams have VERY low lift and a completely different grind profile overall compared to the .348" cams that I've fitted now. As the backside of the cam lobe is much lower on the .348" cams (higher lift) the play (valve clearance) became very big before I adjusted it properly.

The 3mm I was talking about was the unadjusted valve clearance. The .005" you mention is about 0.13mm, which is the same as I'm running now.

Am I clearer now or just repeating what I said before?

Here's a shot of the engine with some more paint on it. The paint on the sidecover for the clutch didn't adhere properly so I'm gonna have to redo it but that's no big deal.

Gonna try and have the engine in the frame tonight.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I have been following your build with much interest and admiration.

As the issue of the fairing has been raised, I was going to post this pic when you first posted that you were considering a small fairing of some sort but I was too slow. By the time I got around to it you had posted again and had found one you liked.

I am not buying into the pros and cons of naked verses semi but went back and had another look at the fairing and decided I would show you the MotoGuzzi 850 LeMans Mk4 fairing that I am eventually going to fit to my 'Baz'. I like the Guzzi fairing a whole lot more as the lines are more bullet like but still sharp edged (like your bike). I think it would blend in and enhance the shape of the rest of the bike.

I have mocked up a template to mount the fairing and light to the headlight ears (rather than frame mounted as on the Guzzi) The back edge of the sides of the fairing need to be cut back a little to allow full lock without scratching tank paint work (see bottom left pic for the area to be cut off) the angle of the cut happens to be parallel with the line of the recess in the tank. The planes and angled edges on the fairing work with those on the bike and can maybe make for some interesting paint options.

Hope you don't mind but I figured you might like to see another option.

P.S........ Awesome build. Thanks for posting all the details, it is very inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                  I have been following your build with much interest and admiration.

As the issue of the fairing has been raised, I was going to post this pic when you first posted that you were considering a small fairing of some sort but I was too slow. By the time I got around to it you had posted again and had found one you liked.

I am not buying into the pros and cons of naked verses semi but went back and had another look at the fairing and decided I would show you the MotoGuzzi 850 LeMans Mk4 fairing that I am eventually going to fit to my 'Baz'. I like the Guzzi fairing a whole lot more as the lines are more bullet like but still sharp edged (like your bike). I think it would blend in and enhance the shape of the rest of the bike.

I have mocked up a template to mount the fairing and light to the headlight ears (rather than frame mounted as on the Guzzi) The back edge of the sides of the fairing need to be cut back a little to allow full lock without scratching tank paint work (see bottom left pic for the area to be cut off) the angle of the cut happens to be parallel with the line of the recess in the tank. The planes and angled edges on the fairing work with those on the bike and can maybe make for some interesting paint options.

Hope you don't mind but I figured you might like to see another option.

P.S........ Awesome build. Thanks for posting all the details, it is very inspiring.

Happy to hear that.

What's funny about the LeMans fairing is that I actually thought about using it at first. A guy I know owns a LeMans and I always thought the fairing was kinda cool and might fit my bike, but for some reason it felt like the Z1R fairing complemented the bike better. Don't ask me why though.

Doing the final bits on the frame and engine now. Just finished painting the swingarm. Now all I gotta do is fit the lower bearing in the steering head properly then I can throw the engine in. Should have it done today.

Comment

Wooohooo.

Found something funny (not funny funny) on the frame just now.

When I was fitting the lower bearing in the steering head I noticed a shift in color on the left frame tube, just next to the sidestand mount. Was like a white line in the otherwise black frame. Moved around a bit and said to my old man: "Isn't that a crack?"

We looked at it a bit closer and we both came to the same conclusion: "Yep."

Over half the tube is cracked, goes around from the upper left side to the upper right side of it.

So I guess I won't be putting the engine in tonight. Gotta find a welder so I can tack it together first. Fortunately, it's not very visible.

Sure glad I noticed it at this stage, not when I was out on the road doing 100mph...

Comment

Managed to get the crack welded up earlier tonight. A guy my dad knows borrowed us his welder for a few minutes.

So, with the frame fixed we tossed in the engine again. Phew. Feels good to know this is the last time I'm pulling it out for at least 6 months. Unless of course something goes terribly bad.

Still undecided if I'm gonna keep the clutch cover gray or paint it the same silver I painted the valve cover or the swingarm. I'll think about it tomorrow. And speaking of tomorrow, I can finally get the triple clamps / yokes blasted and painted tomorrow so I can assemble the front end for good.

Comment

It's getting there. Finishing up some small bits right now and shooting for a first start next weekend. Hope it works.

Small tribute to an awesome guy at a Swedish bike forum I frequent that passed away from a stroke.

And regarding the first start... I think it'll be loud.

Comment

It's like watching surgery...except I sort of know what the doctor is doing.

Brilliant work!!!
                          -KR

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
                            It's like watching surgery...except I sort of know what the doctor is doing.

Brilliant work!!!
                            -KR
                            Truth is, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Or maybe I do...?

It runs!

If today was my last day, hell, I'd have been content.

This isn't the first start but it ran just as good then as it does in this clip (the 5th start). Cams have been broken in at about 2200rpm for 10 minutes. No strange noises coming from the engine, just that lovely flatslide sound.

But it's not entirely without trouble. As you hear in the video towards the end, the throttle tends to hang after I've released it. Fiddled a bit with the wires but I suspect the culprit is the pilot jet as the plugs show it's running a bit lean.

But that's a small issue. Now that it runs, I got two weeks to work out the small bugs. Shouldn't be a problem...

I hope...

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
                              Truth is, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Or maybe I do...?

It runs!

Congrats, that must feel good to get it running and be a big motivator to finish. When are you painting?

Comment

Congrats, that must feel good to get it running and be a big motivator to finish. When are you painting?
                                Yeah, I was shaking from the adrenaline rush when it fired up.

Won't be painting it yet since I got a trackday booked in at the end of the month. Going to get it in shape mechanically by then and focus on finalizing the cosmetics after that. Should be in early / mid June.

Comment

Working...
                                X