Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
    So I have been keeping up with this thread fairly regularly. I love what you've done, its a sweet bike. What going on in the paint department? Or are you simply riding it too much to take the time to put some color on there. If so I think that's perfectly fine and I wont hold it against you.
    Haha.

Actually it has been parked in the garage since I got back from the trackday weekend.

However, today I did something radical. I took it out of the garage and drove it over to MC-Xpress to do a few runs on the Dyno and see what kind of power I got now with the upgraded cams and carbs.

I was hoping to get over 120 rear wheel horsepower.

Guess what?

I did.

125.51 @ 204.63 kph (127.89mph). The lambda values were very good considering it was done by a complete amateur. Differentiated between 0.8~1.1 - being fatter higher up in the RPM.

Could experiment a bit more with the high speed jetting but I'm not gonna cruise around at 7-8000rpms all that much so I'll probably leave it as it is.

Not bad for a standard bore 1150.

But there sure as hell isn't any mercy when doing a dyno run. Flames and smoke shot out through the exhaust gasket on #1 and he just kept cranking the throttle. But the bike ran perfectly and didn't protest the abuse for a second. They sure are reliable machines.

To be honest with you - I don't think I'll be finished with it anytime soon. There's so many things to do still, plus I might want to start tearing down the engine again to fix clutch, crank and gearbox. Then there's paint and stuff to do. We'll see what happens. I want to polish the bike as much as I can before I call it "finished".
    Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2010, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Hey, long time since anything has happened. Well, yesterday I started fiddling with the gauge and headlight brackets. Should be done later today.

Also got the new stainless steel exhaust. The old carbon can cracked at the rivets. Oh well, the new one looks and sounds much better, plus it was free.

Here's the current layout.

Will get back with more pictures later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post

Will get back with more pictures later.
        Looks great (except for that duct taped seat) I kinda like the simple primer gray look. It draws more attention to the go-fast bits

One question though: Whats the little black cylinder with the red lens nest to the tach? It looks cool, but whats it do?

Comment

Looks great (except for that duct taped seat) I kinda like the simple primer gray look. It draws more attention to the go-fast bits

One question though: Whats the little black cylinder with the red lens nest to the tach? It looks cool, but whats it do?
          Looks like a shift light to me....

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
            That's what I thought at first but it seemed kinda large to be just a shift light.

Comment

I think he is running an automotive recording tach and shift light.

Comment

What he said.

I have been thinking the same thing and watching this thread has made me rethink my ideas on and plans for my own similar project (code name Baz). Maybe a couple of passive but contrasting colours to keep it simple.

I really like the clean lines of this bike and love the flat sheet that Mindless fabricated to tidy up the underside of the tail section. I think a hugger would/could look cool... in a toned down bling sorta way

Comment

I kinda dig the duct taped seat.

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
                  Right you are, and yes, it's originally intended for automotive use.

Wanted to get a real AutoMeter for bike-use but they cost a fortune and don't show high-enough RPMs for an inline-four (need at least 10000rpm). This one is a dirt-cheap China replica. Originally intended to use a different tacho but it was sold out so I had to settle for this one.

Might be the only compromise I've done so far on the bike.

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                  What he said.

I have been thinking the same thing and watching this thread has made me rethink my ideas on and plans for my own similar project (code name Baz). Maybe a couple of passive but contrasting colours to keep it simple.

I really like the clean lines of this bike and love the flat sheet that Mindless fabricated to tidy up the underside of the tail section. I think a hugger would/could look cool... in a toned down bling sorta way
                  I also like grey primer, but with the time spent on the rest of the bike I think it deserves a proper paintjob. Haven't decided when that will happen though. Want to get it street legal first so I can actually drive it.

Anyway, off to make the final brackets for the headlight. I'll try and get some photos up later.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
                    Want to get it street legal first so I can actually drive it.
                    Right, you still need things like lights and mirrors! I've gotten used to looking your build, and sorta forgot you needed them still

Comment

Right, you still need things like lights and mirrors! I've gotten used to looking your build, and sorta forgot you needed them still
                      Same here. I kinda wish I didn't need them...

I take it out for a small breather sometimes even though I'm not supposed to. Don't tell anyone.

Headlight brackets all fabbed up. Now all I need is some brackets for the gauges and winkers.

I quite like the stance of the bike when it's down on the ground.

Should have it road legal in a few weeks time. Note: should.

Also got a slight surprise coming up in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Motoren din ser herlig ut!
                        The Three Horsemen
                        '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                        '83 GS1100ES
                        ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                        Porkchop Express

Comment

You know, that would actually look great if you had the seat upholstered in the silver/gray color for real without the tape.

Nice bike!
                          http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
                            Motoren din ser herlig ut!
                            Går fint också.

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                            You know, that would actually look great if you had the seat upholstered in the silver/gray color for real without the tape.

Nice bike!
                            Will probably get it upholstered with a two-tone alcantara / leather mix. Grey where I sit and black for the would-be passenger.

Comment

Been a while since I posted something new. Well, this arrived in the mail today so I better post some pictures.

First up four lovely lumps of forged aluminium (not to be confused with ALUMINUM).

These will upgrade the powerhouse to 1230cc and 10.25:1 compression. Should be able to squeeze out another 10 horsepower with that.

And last but not least; a MRE lock-up clutch.

Expecting the remaining parts from APE next week so then I'll get cracking on splitting the engine apart and fitting all the new goodies then. Will be dropping of the cylinder block to be bored at the end of the month.

Comment

Wow, you are getting serious. What are the plans for the head to up the flow rate?

Comment

Working...
                                X